Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to introduce myself. I am new at this forum.

I have a 05 Gallardo. I want to start tracking the car occasionally. I want to know if anyone of you knows where I could find R compound track tires for this car. I checked many brands and they don't carry the stock OEM sizes.

Any suggestions?

·
Vendor
1,792 Posts
kchendds said:
I want to introduce myself. I am new at this forum.

I have a 05 Gallardo. I want to start tracking the car occasionally. I want to know if anyone of you knows where I could find R compound track tires for this car. I checked many brands and they don't carry the stock OEM sizes.

Any suggestions?
Did you try Pirelli corsa?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
twinturbodiablo said:
Did you try Pirelli corsa?

Nothing available for the sizes yet. I called Tirerack and they told me that they should have some available sometime this year. They will be Corsas.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
pcht5 said:
I have Corsa put on my Gallardo and they are really good, a lot better than the stock ones in fact. :)
How much dearer are they than the OEM tyres, and how do they wear, if I may ask?

Also, do they drive OK when cold? I understood some track oriented rubber doesn't work well when cold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pcht5 said:
I have Corsa put on my Gallardo and they are really good, a lot better than the stock ones in fact. :)
Paul, thanks for the info. You live in Hong Kong?
I used to live there. Now I am in California. Did you use to race? I was an active karter when I used to race in Macau and China. Anyway, we don't have Corsas in that sizes yet, but we will get them soon here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mhh said:
How much dearer are they than the OEM tyres, and how do they wear, if I may ask?

Also, do they drive OK when cold? I understood some track oriented rubber doesn't work well when cold.

They have much more grip than stock tires like the Rossos. They work better when they are warmed. They wear a lot faster than stock.

·
Registered
205 Posts
gtr said:
Are the std brakes and bearings able to safely cope the Corsa?
Everything on the car is more than OK for track fun except the brake pads which can overheat quite easily. It is better to use some higher temp. pads.
;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone. I do quite a few track events with my 2004 Gallardo. The car is excellent. I am also interested in where to get good track tires; I have looked in a lot of places and found nothing the fits. However, more importantly is the brakes; I need to know where to get brake pads! The stock pads are fine, something better would be great; however, the price for new pads from the dealers is outlandish. Does anyone know where to get pads for the Gallardo at a more reasonable price!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know if you get the Audi RS6 in the USA. Great car - V8 4 litre, 473bhp, 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. It has the same brakes as the Gallardo - 8 piston in the front. I don't know if the pads are the same - they are bound to be good anyway, as they have to slow down the Audi, which weighs 4050 lbs! Anyway they are much cheaper than the Lambo ones. I was quoted UKP880 (US$1590) for the front pads (eight pads, four each side on the front) by Lambo London and UKP440 (US$800) by Audi.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
After talking to the Melbourne Lambo dealer, I've ordered a set of Corsa tyres to be fitted on Monday. On the question of wear, he said they do wear faster but it is often hard to compare as the Corsa tyre will usually spent more time at the track which will accelerate wear on any tyre.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying them. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi mhh,

1/ What were the influences that made you decide to go with the Corsa tyres instead of standard? Surely not poor grip or handling? :confused:

2/ Are you changing tyres because your originals are worn out ( ie. not enough tread), or because you think they have "gone off"?

3/ How many miles have you done?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
bunkhound said:
Hi mhh,

1/ What were the influences that made you decide to go with the Corsa tyres instead of standard? Surely not poor grip or handling? :confused:

2/ Are you changing tyres because your originals are worn out ( ie. not enough tread), or because you think they have "gone off"?

3/ How many miles have you done?

Cheers
Bunkhound

I'm probably really 2,000km away from needing new rears and although the fronts look OK, they are starting to tramline a bit more than usual. I've done 26,000km and I'm replacing my second set (changed the first ones at 14,000km - the full set as I don't like mixing old with new).

I drive regularly with some guys with Porsche GT3 including one with Corsas. He says they are MUCH grippier than the standard Pirellis. Lambo Melbourne raved about them unsolicited when I was in there last week. I'm taking the car to Alice Springs to drive to Uluru next month and don't want old tyres for this excursion.

I'm happy enough with the grip of the standard Pirellis, but I don't think much of the car's steering feel at high speed. I'm hoping the Corsas improve this aspect of the car. I'm curious to see what they are like anyway. I'll let you know my impressions next week. :)

mhh

P.S. I haven't tracked the car and I don't intend to.

·
Registered
188 Posts
kchendds said:
Nothing available for the sizes yet. I called Tirerack and they told me that they should have some available sometime this year. They will be Corsas.
after 3 monthson back order I gave up and just
bought in stock Mich.

·
Registered
76 Posts
mhh said:
I drive regularly with some guys with Porsche GT3 including one with Corsas. He says they are MUCH grippier than the standard Pirellis.
Hi mhh,

I recently (last year) put Pirelli P-Zero "C" tyres on my Maserati Shamal. I bought this car new in 1996 and now this is the first time ever, that I can use full throttle to the wheels in 1st, or 2nd, (in the dry) without immediate loss of rear traction and wheel-spin. Such a useless waste of all that twin turbo torque! I always said that the Shamal should have had All-Wheel-Drive.

These new tyres were sold to me as being "Pirelli P-Zero C" circuit racing tyres, although I was assured that they were also approved for road use. They have only a few lines of tread around them - look like a sort of semi-slick.

Their traction in the dry is incredible (haven't chanced it in the wet!) - chalk and cheese compared with the original Michelin Pilots.

Does anyone know if these tyres that were sold to me as "P-Zero C", are the same tyre as is known by "P-Zero Corsa"? or have I got a totally different animal here?

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
P-zero C = cicuit tyres and are what are being replaced by the P-zero Corsa.

P-zero C is asymmetric and not directional.

P-zero Corsa is an asymmetric AND directional tyre ie you will be ordering specifically a front left, front right etc etc.

While both are road approved, the corsa is much more versatile ie the P-zero C is very limited road tire. The corsa's strength beyond the compound is its cornering ability and decent road use.

The corsa (compared to the rosso) gives you many things notably an R compound plus a more rigid construction allowing higher speeds at lower pressures.

-mick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts