Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm ready to buy my first Lambo! (so excited to type that sentence...)

I've found a black 2007 Gallardo Nera edition with ~ 26,000 miles near Birmingham, AL.
The wholesaler says they've put new spark plugs and drive belts on it - the tires are new Hankooks (never heard of those before).
I've reviewed the carfax details and it's still on the original clutch which concerns me (after reading lots of posts here on the topic). Not at ton of service history listed, either.
The wholesaler has taken it to a local shop for new plugs and drive belts and an "inspection".
I'd like to have an independent inspection arranged myself but the car is in Birmingham, AL and I live near Nashville, TN.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to get this inspected?
The original e-gear clutch situation concerns me...are there other specific things that I should have checked out on this particular Gallardo model? It's 100% stock best I can tell.
I'm going to see it in person tomorrow. I've never driven one.
They want $99,997 for it - looks to be in market range but wanted to also ask the group about this price with an "unknown" clutch situation. Looks to be in great shape cosmetically. I can post some pics if that helps.

Thank you all for any advice!
Marcus

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Welcome aboard! And good choice with a Nera. Almost bought one as my first Lambo.

If it were me, I'd drive the 191 miles to check it out in person. And as you mentioned, definitely find someone in the area who is experienced with these vehicles to do a PPI. Have the clutch measured to know how close that expense will be, and perhaps negotiate with that information.

Also do some homework ahead of time about who you are going to have working on it. There are a few exotic car dealers in Nashville. Do they also do maintenance, or recommend someone?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard! And good choice with a Nera. Almost bought one as my first Lambo.

If it were me, I'd drive the 191 miles to check it out in person. And as you mentioned, definitely find someone in the area who is experienced with these vehicles to do a PPI. Have the clutch measured to know how close that expense will be, and perhaps negotiate with that information.

Also do some homework ahead of time about who you are going to have working on it. There are a few exotic car dealers in Nashville. Do they also do maintenance, or recommend someone?

Good Luck!
Thanks for the quick response, Murciful.

I'm getting up early tomorrow morning and driving down there to test drive and inspect it.

I've called a couple of small shops down there to see if anyone knows how to measure the clutch and am waiting to hear back. There's a shop in Nashville called EuroFix that I hear does great work for when I own it (assuming this goes well tomorrow). I know they can do the PPI (I've called them) but how do you coordinate that when it's so far away? Surely someone in B'ham can inspect / measure a clutch but I'm having my doubts.

For sure I will negotiate for the unknown...

Thanks!
Marcus

·
Registered
96 Posts
You'll need to find someone with the computer to measure it. Most likely a LARA. I don't know a lot about Birmingham, but it would not surprise me if no one had one. If I were you, I'd just plan on it needing a new clutch since it has so many miles. So add another $6-$10k to your budget.

Good luck with the purchase, I just bought an 07 a couple of months ago with almost the exact same mileage and I also will be needing a new clutch in the next year or so.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi jeffery13,

Thanks for the advice. As soon as I say it's a "Lambo" they have quite the reaction, which makes think they won't do the best job (and don't have the LARA system to measure it).

Maybe I can negotiate some of the clutch cost into the price.....we'll see tomorrow!

Best,
Marcus

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think $100k is a fair, full retail price for a near perfect car of that year. There might be some room to negotiate if you find anything. I would be a little concerned with someone not familiar with Lamborghini getting in there and tinkering, even if just plugs and the one belt that drives the alternator. Definitely drive it back yourself - no shipping. I have heard of people buying cars with 50% clutch and having them delivered with 20% clutch because some idiot slipped the clutch up the ramps. Also, tons of stories of new dents and scrapes.

You should look for some local shop in Birmingham that has LARA or a Lamborghini computer that can take proper readings, however, you can also just factor in a new clutch and have someone experienced look the car over in general. By 2007, there had been revisions to the clutch software, and I feel any later preLP driven properly should get 40k on the original clutch. People are either drag racing or babying them too much. They are to be driven deliberately and spiritedly, shifting for yourself while in sport mode. I am assuming this is e-gear as a gated Gallardo would be worth much more. The e-gear is certainly engaging (no pun intended) and what I have. Repair costs will be higher if it needs work, and that is something that really needs to be addressed by someone familiar with the automated single clutch systems. Someone who knows Ferrari could do this and they are sometimes easier to find.

I live in Louisville, KY. I paid $99k for a 17500 mile single owner 2008 in perfect condition nicely optioned. I am not sure how long I will own, perhaps testing the market this Summer as I am changing jobs, but not ready to sell just yet. I may also keep it forever. It has been a great car and I have put about 6000 miles on it in my short ownership.

Sounds great and good luck! Ownership will be exciting, maybe dramatic at times, but never boring.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think $100k is a fair, full retail price for a near perfect car of that year. There might be some room to negotiate if you find anything. I would be a little concerned with someone not familiar with Lamborghini getting in there and tinkering, even if just plugs and the one belt that drives the alternator. Definitely drive it back yourself - no shipping. I have heard of people buying cars with 50% clutch and having them delivered with 20% clutch because some idiot slipped the clutch up the ramps. Also, tons of stories of new dents and scrapes.

You should look for some local shop in Birmingham that has LARA or a Lamborghini computer that can take proper readings, however, you can also just factor in a new clutch and have someone experienced look the car over in general. By 2007, there had been revisions to the clutch software, and I feel any later preLP driven properly should get 40k on the original clutch. People are either drag racing or babying them too much. They are to be driven deliberately and spiritedly, shifting for yourself while in sport mode. I am assuming this is e-gear as a gated Gallardo would be worth much more. The e-gear is certainly engaging (no pun intended) and what I have. Repair costs will be higher if it needs work, and that is something that really needs to be addressed by someone familiar with the automated single clutch systems. Someone who knows Ferrari could do this and they are sometimes easier to find.

I live in Louisville, KY. I paid $99k for a 17500 mile single owner 2008 in perfect condition nicely optioned. I am not sure how long I will own, perhaps testing the market this Summer as I am changing jobs, but not ready to sell just yet. I may also keep it forever. It has been a great car and I have put about 6000 miles on it in my short ownership.

Sounds great and good luck! Ownership will be exciting, maybe dramatic at times, but never boring.
Hi jchrisf,

Thanks for the quick shout-out on this. It sounds like you got a great deal on your car...

If everything checks out and I purchase I will definitely drive it back home. It's the e-gear variety which fills me with dread; I'd rather have a manual gated shifter but you're right that those are much more expensive.

The Autohaus shop in B'ham (it looks like they service Ferraris and the like) did the plugs and belt service so maybe they did a good job...

You've given me some great advice here, I really appreciate it.

Best,
Marcus

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have been given good advice. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks Tomas,

I will definitely let the team know how it turns out - it will be my first time actually inside one of these cars.

I'm turning 50 this year & decided to get something fun...we've had a corvette in the past and while those are nice, I didn't want to be the guy turning 50 who buys a 'vette. :)

Best,
Marcus

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
If you’re at all like me, you won’t get much sleep tonight... Enjoy it! All of it. :)

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Don't have much info about the Gallardo to pass on except trust and verify. As you already know, there are quite a few knowledgeable people on this forum with experience with the Gallardo listen and learn.
Oh yeh, Big Congratulations! One last parting request.....pictures, pictures and more pictures! ;) (y)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lambo2018,

Absolutely! I will definitely send pictures from my visit with it tomorrow.
I'm calling the previous owner (Motorcars of ATL) to see what they can tell me (not very hopeful but we'll see).

I'm so appreciative of all the support from everyone on this forum - you guys are great!

Best,
Marcus

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Lambo2018,

Absolutely! I will definitely send pictures from my visit with it tomorrow.
I'm calling the previous owner (Motorcars of ATL) to see what they can tell me (not very hopeful but we'll see).

I'm so appreciative of all the support from everyone on this forum - you guys are great!

Best,
Marcus
Absolutely, best car forum I have ever been a part of..........lots of great people!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sometimes the thrill of the chase to find the right one is half the fun! It was on my radar for 2 years, looking all over the country for one that met my requirements. Turns out, one showed up 2 miles away from my house (helps that I live in SoCal, where these are not too uncommon, relatively), I had it towed for a PPI, got good marks all around and made the deal. The only sad part was my drive home was all of 2 miles, HAHA. So it wasn't that eventful. I ended up parking in the garage for almost a week before I could muster the courage to drive it again, LOL!

I'd love to hear about your "journey," the drive to the see it, what you felt, pictures, etc. You can't get over detailed, if you can spare the time to write it up, I'll be reading it!!

As far as pricing goes, it's fair based on what I've been seeing the past 2 years. We've also seen how 04-06 seemed to be rising as of last year. I suspect 07-08 will have their turn this year. The LPs 09+ are still a way from going up, they are still depreciating, so getting a preLP is a great idea, plus that SOUND and rawness is amazing!

As far as egear and the clutch, yes, I would also suggest you have a few bucks put away. When I bought mine 4 years ago, even though I had a 70% clutch snap, I decided to set aside 15k to replace it. So far I haven't needed to do so, the car had 18k miles and it now has 23k miles. At this rate of driving, it might be another 5 years before I need to replace it. As far as other egear issues, the most important thing is having a mechanic that doesn't just want to throw parts at it, but knows what's wrong and can fix it. That said, 15k would nicely cover a clutch and probably any egear repairs that might be needed. Funnily, that cost would be about the difference in price in getting a gated vs. egear, so technically, even if you have to replace something, you'll be about equal or ahead.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes the thrill of the chase to find the right one is half the fun! It was on my radar for 2 years, looking all over the country for one that met my requirements. Turns out, one showed up 2 miles away from my house (helps that I live in SoCal, where these are not too uncommon, relatively), I had it towed for a PPI, got good marks all around and made the deal. The only sad part was my drive home was all of 2 miles, HAHA. So it wasn't that eventful. I ended up parking in the garage for almost a week before I could muster the courage to drive it again, LOL!

I'd love to hear about your "journey," the drive to the see it, what you felt, pictures, etc. You can't get over detailed, if you can spare the time to write it up, I'll be reading it!!

As far as pricing goes, it's fair based on what I've been seeing the past 2 years. We've also seen how 04-06 seemed to be rising as of last year. I suspect 07-08 will have their turn this year. The LPs 09+ are still a way from going up, they are still depreciating, so getting a preLP is a great idea, plus that SOUND and rawness is amazing!

As far as egear and the clutch, yes, I would also suggest you have a few bucks put away. When I bought mine 4 years ago, even though I had a 70% clutch snap, I decided to set aside 15k to replace it. So far I haven't needed to do so, the car had 18k miles and it now has 23k miles. At this rate of driving, it might be another 5 years before I need to replace it. As far as other egear issues, the most important thing is having a mechanic that doesn't just want to throw parts at it, but knows what's wrong and can fix it. That said, 15k would nicely cover a clutch and probably any egear repairs that might be needed. Funnily, that cost would be about the difference in price in getting a gated vs. egear, so technically, even if you have to replace something, you'll be about equal or ahead.
Thanks for sharing some of your story here.
I'm so excited because this will the first time I've been in one, driven one etc.
I don't think I've even heard a proper exhaust note in real life so this should be something tomorrow....
I'm looking all over the country because I can't get it off my mind and I'm pretty stoked there's one not too far away (although it's going to be 7 hours of driving there and back unfortunately).
I can't wait to hear it and drive it - I hope it's easy to use the paddle shifters. What's the best strategy for those?
I'm tall (6'3") so I hope I fit ok...

If I fall in love with it I'm going to ask them to reduce the price to account for the unknown clutch scenario and lack of maintenance records beyond what they've done recently (which isn't much). We'll see!

It sounds like you've had great success with yours so I'm very encouraged by that.

Since I'm officially getting old this year I'm so ready for this - but I don't have 2 years to look so I'm super ready to find one and get it home.

I'll relay to you all of my perceptions / feelings / feedback tomorrow evening when I get home and calm myself down.

Do you think my wife will freak out if I drive it home and leave our '15 impala down there? (yes, yes she would)

Thanks for the positive vibes!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Oh, if I could have any advice, I'd say be ready to walk away from it. In fact, go in with the impression that you want to find as many problems/issues as possible with it so you are dissuaded from buying it. Also, makes sure the title is clean and that it's not been repainted.

The car needs a "major" service every 15k miles, so at 26k, you'd be due for it soon or overdue if it's not been done. That's about 3k, so since you don't know the history, expect to have to pay for that.

As far as egear, avoid the auto button. Avoid reversing up hill or up an incline (but reversing down an incline is fine). If you'll be at a stop light long, put the car in Neutral by pressing both paddles at the same time. There's probably another page worth of info, but there's plenty on this website if you do a search. Oh, you should hear the egear pump prime for about 7-12 seconds when you first open the door if it's been sitting a while or overnight. Also, always drive in SPORT mode, it makes the shifts crisper, which saves wear on your clutch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, if I could have any advice, I'd say be ready to walk away from it. In fact, go in with the impression that you want to find as many problems/issues as possible with it so you are dissuaded from buying it. Also, makes sure the title is clean and that it's not been repainted.

The car needs a "major" service every 15k miles, so at 26k, you'd be due for it soon or overdue if it's not been done. That's about 3k, so since you don't know the history, expect to have to pay for that.

As far as egear, avoid the auto button. Avoid reversing up hill or up an incline (but reversing down an incline is fine). If you'll be at a stop light long, put the car in Neutral by pressing both paddles at the same time. There's probably another page worth of info, but there's plenty on this website if you do a search. Oh, you should hear the egear pump prime for about 7-12 seconds when you first open the door if it's been sitting a while or overnight. Also, always drive in SPORT mode, it makes the shifts crisper, which saves wear on your clutch.
Ok thanks for this...I really appreciate it.
I'll check on the title and all the rest of it.
I'm guessing the service hasn't been performed or it would be in the history...so there's another $3K off the price.

Will do on the auto button. I'll look around some more on the egear driving tips to ensure I don't screw that up.
Thanks for the pointers!

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,487 Posts
Marcus, I’ve been reading some of the advice you’ve gotten a lot of it is spot on. The last poster above just mentioned be prepared to walk away and try to find every imperfection. There is a reason that car hasn’t sold and is now with a wholesaler, and has no records. Those to me are three red flags. If you get emotional about it you’ll ignore all three and possibly pick up a problem. Not saying there is a problem, but those are three things that I would check into. History of the car and repairs done over 26,000 miles is kind of important.

you absolutely want a clutch snap and I believe this can only be done with the LARA software (?). If you buy this car or any E gear car, I would immediately buy a sprint booster. There are people on this website to sell them. For about $300 you will engage the clutch more quickly every time and this will save you on clutch wear overtime. (I have only put about 3000 miles on my sprint booster so I’m not a representative sample but I think you can read up on this forum and get your own opinion.)

unfortunately, you may be exactly who this seller wants to see walk in the door tomorrow. A guy who just drove many hours from out of town, who identifies himself as wanting to buy himself a 50 year old birthday present, and has stars in his eyes for an exotic. They are the type that will not negotiate at all with you because they see you coming. If I were you, I would (even theatrically) get up, put your coat on, walk out, and drive away an hour. Go have lunch, settle down, and then call them back. Otherwise they aren’t going to budge, I predict.

pricing as stated seems to be pretty reasonable already, but again it sits at a wholesaler and has spotty records. you need a PPI absolutely, undoubtedly, and in that you want to have the E gear pump and system checked, fluids, battery, clutch snap, paint thickness, and all the other things a professional who works on Lamborghini‘s specifically will know.

it is fun buying and owning a Lamborghini, but it is more fun when you know you have a good story and good car. Good luck, and I hope all of those things check out. Photos and your story would be nice when ready.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Wish I had all this advice when I bought my first. In hindsight, I prob wouldn’t have bought the car I did, or would have saved some money in the process.

Enjoy this aspect of the hunt. But go in knowing that if this isn’t me isn’t it, there is a great one around the corner waiting for you!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts