Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Long time reader and first time poster. So here is the deal. I wanted to get either a Gallardo or a Murcielago in the <140K range. However, I wanted to drive it for about ~6 months. A little background. I am 63 years old and live in NC. So you only pay vehicle tax for a year. I wanted to pay all cash for the vehicle. Now my question to the more seasoned owners is:

1. How much depreciation can I expect if I put on 4000-6000 miles on the car, during that period.

2. Would you rather get the Murcielago or the Gallardo coupe?

3. How much would you expect the cost of ownership to be in that time period?

Any other advice and feedback is highly welcome. :D

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
1. None (minimal)
2. Murcielago. 12 cylinders! Scissor doors. If your going to do it, remember it!
3. Gas, whatever insurance.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would recommended you drive both cars and see what you like. I have heard many reasons to go either way. I think it will come down to your preference.

As long as you do your due diligence and get a good car, I think Rayman is right about the low depreciation and cost of ownership.

Always day dreaming and watching the cost of the cars mentioned. They have not changed dramatically in a long time. If I were to speculate, I would say stable. It is the older cars that are jumping around (up) in price.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Murci for sure...BUT get a good inspection done by a reputable Lambo shop who knows the cars.... or you could be getting more than you bargained for. If the car needs a clutch and you don't catch it but the next owner does they will knock off 10K. Tires will prob be worn in the 6K miles you plan to drive, so two rears. If anything breaks you wont be able to sell the car till you fix it...so keep that in mind. A G motor is 50K and an M is 75K so if it grenades (extremely unlikely) your stuck with it.... Just my food for thought.

·
Registered
907 Posts
would highly suggest against a murci roadster if you plan on driving as much as you say, especially in the Carolinas. Humidity is a bitch without a top and these roadsters are terrible with the tops up. Just installing the top is a monumental task not to mention the car cannot be driven at speeds more than 100mph with top on. Leaving the top off always is what everyone seems to do, but weather is another issue to deal with.

Go with a coupe for sure.....IMO the roadsters are like a piece of art work and thats it, mesmerizing to look and stare at, but not at all practical to drive and enjoy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I live in the Carolinas and I have only put my top up like twice. Hell no, top down all the time. Bespoke where do you live in NC. Come on over and I can take you out for a ride. I am in the Raleigh area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input Johndgt3. I know I want the Murci now, but still on the fence about roadster vs. coupe.

Bigbadlambo, so you say roadster all the way? I used to live in the RTP area, but now I'm in Greenville. Would love to take you up on that ride before I purchase.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
There are exotic rental and club membership that run $1-2k a day. If you just want to experience it, maybe that is a good choice too. Typically, owners drive once or twice a month. In 6 months, you are looking at just a few drives so it would cost around $5-10k if you rent it. Plus, you can experience other exotics such as aventador, 458 and mclaren. If I were doing such a short ownership, I would consider this route. No maintenance and repair to worry about.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the input Johndgt3. I know I want the Murci now, but still on the fence about roadster vs. coupe.

Bigbadlambo, so you say roadster all the way? I used to live in the RTP area, but now I'm in Greenville. Would love to take you up on that ride before I purchase.
You aren't far away. Hit me up anytime weather is nicer, any excuse to take it out is a good excuse.

Mine is twin turbo so it might not give you the exact ride that you would get elsewhere. But needless to say it is fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts