Lamborghini Talk banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wait, wait, what?

I was under the impression this was only if you were going uphill in reverse. You're saying these cars cant go up an incline at all?
Best practice is to avoid starting out heading up a hill or incline with egear to extend clutch life - forward or reverse - but if you are already driving of course it is not an issue.
Are you guys saying..driving in traffic in a hilly city like Austin or SF people are SOL?
Even going up to a highrise parking garage?

No wonder my 360 F1 going up to park in my old garage felt awkward..like I was putting strain on the clutch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Moving states in a bit -- Wondering if anyone here has ever put their G on a uhaul auto transport? I've done "normal" cars before.

Car has a front lift, if that helps.
How did it go? I am thinking of doing the same soon and was considering getting a pair of these ramp extensions

·
Registered
413 Posts
Don't even think about it unless it can be winch up onto the flatbead. !00% will destroy the clutch attempting to drive it up on a ramp

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't even think about it unless it can be winch up onto the flatbead. !00% will destroy the clutch attempting to drive it up on a ramp
I think ill just buy a winch, I bet I can get for close to the same price as those race ramps i linked above. I found a Uhaul video on how to load low profile cars.

·
Vendor
1,727 Posts
I agree 100%. Don't ever drive up on a ramp because you will slip the clutch and burn your clutch. Unfortunately I have seen this many times. The 1st gear on a Gallardo is very tall so you will slip the clutch on a hill a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Come on man really? you have car worth 100K do not cheap out on the something like have a professional move it
My friend, its because I don't trust most of the the "professional" auto transport companies.
I have heard to many horror stories from other folks.
I also own an E350 Super Duty dually truck that can pull it with no problem. If you read above my first idea was to purchase special ramps to get it on there and after hearing about the advice about not driving it on, I am considering buying a winch to get it up there. I bet most "professionals" (emphasis on most) will not bother using a winch. Read the reply by HiTech Exotic, they are literarily in the business of selling Clutches for these cars, and still recommend against it.

Here is a perfect example.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I mean c'mon, driving the car up a ramp is not a whole lot different than sitting in stop and go traffic on a hill or driving over a speed bump from a stop. You'll slip the clutch a bit every time you start moving but we're talking about a few seconds. No doubt you're using up some clutch material, but to burn up 20-30% of the clutch material in a few seconds, no way. Not doubting your story or saying it's not possible to be an idiot and ride the clutch for way more than a few seconds and actually impart a lot of heat into the clutch and do damage trying to load the car, but in general if you're careful and aware of the clutch slip, as you should be when loading ANY manual car then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Seems to me if that was the case just about everyone buying a Gallardo and having it shipped to them would receive the car with a burned up clutch. I received mine from an enclosed auto transporter that just drove it on, drove it off...car was fine, clutch was fine.

·
Vendor
1,727 Posts
If people knew how many phone calls we get that a truck driver burned their clutch by loading the car onto their truck, people would never let a driver load their Gallardo onto a truck without a winch. Can you load a gallardo onto a truck without a winch and not burn the clutch? Yes but why risk it. Even if you don't burn the clutch, you can wear off the clutch by a lot.

Burnt clutches would benefit our business but I'm trying to help members "What not to do" so their clutches would last longer.

Hill and slopes are enemies of Gallardo and Murci clutches. I give you one example of many regarding hills. We had a customer from southern California where there are a lot of hills, like Beverly hills, Hollywood hills. He went to a party in Hollywood hills. Before the party, he had 80-90% clutch left. The house was on a hill. He had to park his Gallardo and did a few forward and reverse uphill parking. He was being very careful. On Monday he did a snap and he only had 30-40% clutch left. So he lost about 50% of his clutch in one night because he parked on a hill.The house was not on a very steep hill either. This gallardo had an E-Gear.

Getting on a ramp is worse than a hill because you can not get on the truck/trailer in one shot. You have to gas it and stop, probably 5-10 times. You're doing this 5-10 times in a row. That's a lot of slipping and because of that you're getting the clutch very hot. When a clutch gets hot, it loses friction. When it loses friction, you will slip the clutch more. Now you have a more heated clutch and that's how you "might" end up with a burnt up clutch.

I also would recommend trucks that the ramp is completely flat. You drive up on the flat ramp, then the ramp is lifted. This is the best way to transport your car.

Look at the flat ramp...

·
Registered
11 Posts
If people knew how many phone calls we get that a truck driver burned their clutch by loading the car onto their truck, people would never let a driver load their Gallardo onto a truck without a winch. Can you load a gallardo onto a truck without a winch and not burn the clutch? Yes but why risk it. Even if you don't burn the clutch, you can wear off the clutch by a lot.

Burnt clutches would benefit our business but I'm trying to help members "What not to do" so their clutches would last longer.

Hill and slopes are enemies of Gallardo and Murci clutches. I give you one example of many regarding hills. We had a customer from southern California where there are a lot of hills, like Beverly hills, Hollywood hills. He went to a party in Hollywood hills. Before the party, he had 80-90% clutch left. The house was on a hill. He had to park his Gallardo and did a few forward and reverse uphill parking. He was being very careful. On Monday he did a snap and he only had 30-40% clutch left. So he lost about 50% of his clutch in one night because he parked on a hill.The house was not on a very steep hill either. This gallardo had an E-Gear.

Getting on a ramp is worse than a hill because you can not get on the truck/trailer in one shot. You have to gas it and stop, probably 5-10 times. You're doing this 5-10 times in a row. That's a lot of slipping and because of that you're getting the clutch very hot. When a clutch gets hot, it loses friction. When it loses friction, you will slip the clutch more. Now you have a more heated clutch and that's how you "might" end up with a burnt up clutch.

I also would recommend trucks that the ramp is completely flat. You drive up on the flat ramp, then the ramp is lifted. This is the best way to transport your car.

Look at the flat ramp...

View attachment 288527
Awesome thanks for the detailed reply.
The plan as of now is to partially relocate to Colorado for a few months a year. This is great info for someone moving to an area with lots of mountains, ill make it an effort not to park on steep hills.

Thanks again

·
Registered
661 Posts
Sean,
What's your experience with manual clutches? I live in Pittsburgh (lots of hills) and the only clutch I replaced under 100K miles was in my LP400 Countach because the engine was out anyway. I realize anyone can destroy a clutch in no time and I knew one guy who burned up his Ferrari 512BB clutch in a month. Is this Gallardo issue primarily with egear and reversing uphill in particular? Thanks.

·
Vendor
1,727 Posts
Sean,
What's your experience with manual clutches? I live in Pittsburgh (lots of hills) and the only clutch I replaced under 100K miles was in my LP400 Countach because the engine was out anyway. I realize anyone can destroy a clutch in no time and I knew one guy who burned up his Ferrari 512BB clutch in a month. Is this Gallardo issue primarily with egear and reversing uphill in particular? Thanks.
There is less risk with a manual but it can happen if you slip the clutch when you're loading the car onto the truck.

With manual, you have more control over the modulation of the engagement bite so there would be less slipping.

If you have already rolled into a hill and you're 100% engaged, then there is no slipping. The slipping happens when you're trying to take off in the middle of the hill from a dead stop. That's when you're slipping the clutch a lot. Basically you're going from 0% engagement to 100% engagement and if it takes longer, then you're slipping the clutch more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is less risk with a manual but it can happen if you slip the clutch when you're loading the car onto the truck.

With manual, you have more control over the modulation of the engagement bite so there would be less slipping.
Right, a manual G, to me would seem exactly the same as any other manual car. Exception being early cars with an especially tall first gear might be more susceptible to riding the clutch pulling onto ramps.

·
Registered
661 Posts

If you have already rolled into a hill and you're 100% engaged, then there is no slipping. The slipping happens when you're trying to take off in the middle of the hill from a dead stop. That's when you're slipping the clutch a lot. Basically you're going from 0% engagement to 100% engagement and if it takes longer, then you're slipping the clutch more.
Agree completely with your comments. The Gallardo is equipped with "Hill Hold Assist" which keeps the brakes engaged for a few seconds when starting on a hill. This eliminates the "pedal dance" as we called it when you had to move your right foot from the brake to the gas and balance just enough throttle as you were letting out the clutch to a) not stall the car, b) not drift back into the car behind, and c) get moving up the hill without revving the engine like crazy and slipping the clutch. Hill Hold Assist makes this much easier to accomplish. On a historical note, my dad's 1950 Studebaker had this feature and he lamented its absence on the subsequent manual cars he owned. I have no idea how it worked but I'm sure the Lamborghini system is a bit more sophisticated using electronics.

I'm assuming it's on egear cars as well as manuals, which is why I asked the original question about your experience with manual clutches. Are you able to discern if the manual clutches you have seen burned out had significant damage due to the hill starts and travel up hills that seem to severely damage the egear clutches?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Look at the flat ramp...

View attachment 288527
Do you lose that much clutch with your Kevlar clutches as well? How do they do reversing or on a hill?

·
Vendor
1,727 Posts
Agree completely with your comments. The Gallardo is equipped with "Hill Hold Assist" which keeps the brakes engaged for a few seconds when starting on a hill. This eliminates the "pedal dance" as we called it when you had to move your right foot from the brake to the gas and balance just enough throttle as you were letting out the clutch to a) not stall the car, b) not drift back into the car behind, and c) get moving up the hill without revving the engine like crazy and slipping the clutch. Hill Hold Assist makes this much easier to accomplish. On a historical note, my dad's 1950 Studebaker had this feature and he lamented its absence on the subsequent manual cars he owned. I have no idea how it worked but I'm sure the Lamborghini system is a bit more sophisticated using electronics.

I'm assuming it's on egear cars as well as manuals, which is why I asked the original question about your experience with manual clutches. Are you able to discern if the manual clutches you have seen burned out had significant damage due to the hill starts and travel up hills that seem to severely damage the egear clutches?
This has happened with a manual. We had a customer who had a manual transmission and was going to Concorso Italiano in Monterey, CA. He had a fairly new clutch, may be 6 months old. He had it transported to Monterey and when they unloaded the car, it had no clutch. They burnt the clutch, loading it onto the truck.

FYI, not all Gallardo have Hill Hold Assist.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts