Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving states in a bit -- Wondering if anyone here has ever put their G on a uhaul auto transport? I've done "normal" cars before.

Car has a front lift, if that helps.

·
Vendor
1,727 Posts
How is that different than transporting the car on an enclosed trailer— they drive it up too.
Transporters should not drive it up to the truck. I have had many customers who had 90% clutch but after the transporter drove it up to the truck, they had may be 20-30% if they were lucky. Some of them had no clutch left. With E-gear, you should never drive uphill. Avoid it as much as you can.

With that said, if the tray of the transporter is flat, then it's ok to drive it up because there is no uphill angle. But if your transporter has to go uphill then it needs to be winched in.

·
Registered
413 Posts
1000% agree with Sean and the others. Never have your car driven up onto a transport unless of course your planning on replacing the clutch. I have had mine moved a few times on a transport and driving it up onto the bed was not even a discussion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to use the leveling method you describe to get my 911tt onto a Uhaul trailer as the ramps hit the front and rear lip and bumper without leveling. Bear in mind that the only tie down is at the front of the trailer, and the wheels fit into a small well.

Your lip must clear the front of the trailer so that the web straps can engage properly with your wheels. There is no provision to position the car elsewhere on the trailer.

I had to put the Porsche on backwards to clear the front of the trailer. In retrospect, it would have been possible to put some plywood on the deck to raise the car so the bumper lip would clear.

In summary, definitely doable but will require some creativity. Go look at the trailer, and you'll see what I mean. It's easier to plan ahead, rather than try to solve this kind of thing at 05h30 in the dark when you want to get on the road.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
324 Posts
Transporters should not drive it up to the truck. I have had many customers who had 90% clutch but after the transporter drove it up to the truck, they had may be 20-30% if they were lucky. Some of them had no clutch left. With E-gear, you should never drive uphill. Avoid it as much as you can.

With that said, if the tray of the transporter is flat, then it's ok to drive it up because there is no uphill angle. But if your transporter has to go uphill then it needs to be winched in.
This, without a doubt. Its just not worth the risk of wearing out your clutch.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Wait, wait, what?

I was under the impression this was only if you were going uphill in reverse. You're saying these cars cant go up an incline at all?

·
Registered
259 Posts

Possible, but not easy.

Have a bunch of 2x4's handy, a breaker bar, a socket set, and a location to load with an incline/decline.

If you have a great spot picked out you can drive it onto the trailer without much difficulty, but I suggest having a spotter. I found a semi trailer loading bay and parked the trailer down that so I wasn't riding the clutch going up, but rather riding the brake going down. But you also have to worry about high centering if it's too steep. Once again: location is key.

Edit: I took the front tire stops/plates off the front of the trailer because the nose wouldn't clear otherwise, then put them back on after getting the car into position for transportation. Then took them back off when it was time to unload.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stoleit,

Thanks for the info! Can you explain what you removed from the front of the trailer? I’m not sure how it didn’t clear if you were able to reinstall it once the car was on!

Also— did you use the safety chains on the G? If so, what did you hook it to?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've never had a winch used on any of my cars and I don't think its needed. I've never seen any transports ever use a winch to get them off either.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Stoleit,

Thanks for the info! Can you explain what you removed from the front of the trailer? I’m not sure how it didn’t clear if you were able to reinstall it once the car was on!

Also— did you use the safety chains on the G? If so, what did you hook it to?
I used this thread as a guideline: https://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/194914-viper-uhaul-trailer.html

The big metal endplates/stoppers that you would normally press the front tires against, you need to take them off, for the nose to clear. Then I put them back on and used the webbing to help secure the car.

I needed a bunch of wood as well. I don't have any extra pictures though. But I'd suggest a small pile of 2x4's and 1x4's ready to help out and try loading the car a day before you need to leave in case you need an emergency Lowes trip.

·
Vendor
1,727 Posts
What if I put the ramps for the uhaul on a driveway and use that to level it out as per the pic.
If you can do it like in the picture, then you'll be fine. That's flat so you won't be riding the clutch. If there is any forward or reverse uphill, then you would be riding the clutch and you MIGHT lose a lot of clutch.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wait, wait, what?

I was under the impression this was only if you were going uphill in reverse. You're saying these cars cant go up an incline at all?
Best practice is to avoid starting out heading up a hill or incline with egear to extend clutch life - forward or reverse - but if you are already driving of course it is not an issue.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Used a uhaul to move my 911 turbo from Chicago to Sacramento, had to level the ramps and put blocks under the front wheels in order for the lip to clear the front stops.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Used a uhaul to move my 911 turbo from Chicago to Sacramento, had to level the ramps and put blocks under the front wheels in order for the lip to clear the front stops.
Do you screw the wood down onto the auto transport or do you just place them down?

How did you tie down the rear of the car?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts