Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm Nima. I'm new to the forum. I am in the process of acquiring my first Gallardo. I am mainly looking at LP's; for obvious reasons.

My questions to you Lambo owners is:

1) Does the number of owners influence your offer?

2) What should be the "average" miles driven per year. Obviously, its harder to find a 2009 with 10k miles on it. Most are in the late teens to 30s

The car im looking at is a 2010 LP550-2 Spyder in black. its had 2 owners and has 30k miles on it. I plan to do a PPI and get a clutch read and CBU test.

Thanks for the help. I apologize if I asked a question already discussed on this forum.

Nima

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
In the UK, the general rule of thumb for Lambos is:

Number of owners = <10 is fine.
Mileage = <40k miles is fine.

For Ferraris:

Number of owners = <10 is fine.
Mileage = <20k miles is fine.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
How can you possibly determine a quantitative number of owners or miles that determine if a car has been abused or not? One owner can abuse a car in just a few miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can you possibly determine a quantitative number of owners or miles that determine if a car has been abused or not? One owner can abuse a car in just a few miles.
Hi Tomaso,

I wasn't saying that. I was just asking does number of owners affect the value of the car? and What do owners consider to be a fair "average miles per year"

I know all these things are relative. But, I'm just curious to know the general consensus.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The more miles a car does, the more likely it is to breakdown.

The older a car gets, the more likely it is to breakdown.

The more owners a car has, the more likely it is to have been flipped just before big bills or repairs are due.

Rightly or wrongly, that is how the market (In most countries) thinks.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Get the lowest mileage car that has been through a proper PPI that you can afford. This should help to equate to a happy ownership experience.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Hi Tomaso,

I wasn't saying that. I was just asking does number of owners affect the value of the car? and What do owners consider to be a fair "average miles per year"

I know all these things are relative. But, I'm just curious to know the general consensus.
A one owner car if possible. Maybe 1,000-2,000 miles per year?

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
14,056 Posts
2 owners max.
10K miles max.
Yes you pay a premium, but do you want a beat up car that is guaranteed to have issues. You will pay more in the long term. Buy something you can enjoy not something you will worry about what will fail next. JMO

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
2 owners max.
10K miles max.
Yes you pay a premium, but do you want a beat up car that is guaranteed to have issues. You will pay more in the long term. Buy something you can enjoy not something you will worry about what will fail next. JMO
Hi Russ,:wave:
+1 on that for buying a 'pre-loved' gallardo to have a good experience as they are very reliable and great car to own and drive if looked after.

Ahem, above advice didn't apply to my 1969 XKE roadster which probably had about 100,000 miles on it when I bought it and then I drove it for another 40,000 miles as a daily driver over the next 30 years.:eek:
But now totally restored and better than new. A fun car to drive, but non of my daughters will ride with me when I am wearing my 'helmet'. I cant work out why:p :)
cheers,
john

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
2 owners max.
10K miles max.
Fewer owners doesn't equal quality of care. I know one owner cars that were abused for 20,000 miles and then traded for the next one. When a 1 owner car gets traded every year, it may be no better than a 6 owner car in which every person maintained it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the awesome info. Everyone makes valid points. Ill keep you guys posted on my search and acquisition of the G. =)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Personally, I don't put much value on Garage queens, IF it's something that's meant to be driven. If I buy a car with the intent of just looking at it for "investment" purposes, then yes, I'd want low miles.

Otherwise, "normal miles" (say around 1.5-2k/yr) is about right for this kind of car. That ensures that it's been driven, rubbers and gaskets are "used" and that it goes through proper heat/cold cycles of usage. It also means no "surprises" since by then anything will have worked themselves out. For instance, a 2010 with 1500 miles could still have unknown manufacturing quirks or defects vs. one with 10k or 20k miles. By then, if it's working well, it's probably OK.

Service history is important, also if you're getting an Egear, you can glean a whole bunch of information from the egear snap. THAT alone will tell you if a car's been abused. Most of the time, users just get a snap that tells you remaining clutch life, however, it can tell you so much more.

Like how many miles and minutes it's stayed at what RPM range, what gear, how often it's been redlined, if there's been any mis-shifts, etc. My egear snap showed that in its lifetime, the car had stayed in (as a measure of minutes) and accumulated (as a measure of miles) most of its time in gears 4-5-6 and had never been redlined. That shows that it was mostly a highway cruiser instead of stop/go traffic.

EDIT: It also shows what RPM range PER GEAR it's been in, so you can see how often it's been "raced." If you're seeing 8000 RPM in gears 1-2-3-4... often, then that's a bad sign. In my case, the car had never gone over 6000 rpm in any gear (though that changed a little after I owned it, HAHA).

If you're getting an 09+, the only thing that would cause me concern is the Carbon Build UP issue on the higher mileage ones. I've talked with several R8 V10 owners (same engine as the LP 2009+), though they tend to have 30-60k miles by now, and all of them have had some level of CBU. Most Gs don't have that many miles so it's not really an issue (but one LP G owner I know with 38k miles has had that problem.)

·
Registered
713 Posts
We, (LP owners) have a saying - "Rev to the red line a day, will keep the carbon away" :)

Personally, I don't put much value on Garage queens, IF it's something that's meant to be driven. If I buy a car with the intent of just looking at it for "investment" purposes, then yes, I'd want low miles.

Otherwise, "normal miles" (say around 1.5-2k/yr) is about right for this kind of car. That ensures that it's been driven, rubbers and gaskets are "used" and that it goes through proper heat/cold cycles of usage. It also means no "surprises" since by then anything will have worked themselves out. For instance, a 2010 with 1500 miles could still have unknown manufacturing quirks or defects vs. one with 10k or 20k miles. By then, if it's working well, it's probably OK.

Service history is important, also if you're getting an Egear, you can glean a whole bunch of information from the egear snap. THAT alone will tell you if a car's been abused. Most of the time, users just gets a snap that tells you remaining clutch life, however, it can tell you so much more.

Like how many miles and minutes it's stayed at what RPM range, what gear, how often it's been redlined, if there's been any mis-shifts, etc. My egear snap showed that in its lifetime, the car had stayed in (as a measure of minutes) and accumulated (as a measure of miles) most of its time in gears 4-5-6 and had never been redlined. That shows that it was mostly a highway cruiser instead of stop/go traffic.

EDIT: It also shows what RPM range PER GEAR it's been in, so you can see how often it's been "raced." If you're seeing 8000 RPM in gears 1-2-3-4... often, then that's a bad sign. In my case, the car had never gone over 6000 rpm in any gear (though that changed a little after I owned it, HAHA).

If you're getting an 09+, the only thing that would cause me concern is the Carbon Build UP issue on the higher mileage ones. I've talked with several R8 V10 owners (same engine as the LP 2009+), though they tend to have 30-60k miles by now, and all of them have had some level of CBU. Most Gs don't have that many miles so it's not really an issue (but one LP G owner I know with 38k miles has had that problem.)

·
Registered
587 Posts
We, (LP owners) have a saying - "Rev to the red line a day, will keep the carbon away" :)
LOL, I would take that preventative medicine ANY day! :)

Unfortunately, Audi/Lamb changed to both Port and Direct Injection for their current V10s (used in the Huracans) which is a very expensive change that doesn't provide any performance gains, solely to combat the CBU issue that they saw no fix or prevention for (other than CBU cleaning).

·
Registered
3,559 Posts

Service history is important, also if you're getting an Egear, you can glean a whole bunch of information from the egear snap. THAT alone will tell you if a car's been abused. Most of the time, users just get a snap that tells you remaining clutch life, however, it can tell you so much more.

Very good post. Logical and common sense. As you imply high revs close to the redline should be the exception and not the norm.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Pre-LP G I purchased was a 2006 Spyder....it had (and still has) very low miles, 8,800 when I purchased it, but the # of owners on the Carfax said 7 owners.

Well, by mot posts on this thread this car would have been written off and not purchased.

Digging deeper, this isn't really a 7 owner car...it was purchased by the same dealer a couple times and was most recently owned and then sold by the great Cat's Exotics.

This car has been perfect all around, zero issues, so clean...smells new inside, not a scratch on the exterior and the interior I'd say is a 9/10. Local Lambo mechanic told me it's the cleanest Gallardo he's ever seen and he's seen many come though there.

When (or if) I ever go to sell it, it may now show up as an 8 owner car...well the "9th" owner will get one amazingly cared for, pampered, loved, perfect car...while most everyone looking for a great G will pass this one over only because of the # of owners.

All this to say, I wouldn't put a hard rule on # of owners or # of miles...my car is proof that # of owners means nothing at all to the quality of the car.

Also, just purchase your car from Cat's Exotics and it won't matter how many owners or how many miles it has because it will be clean and reliable for sure (same with Lambo Dallas, Newport Beach, and a couple others, but there's a whole other thread made about that).

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, Im definitely going to invest in a PPI. and I may even fly out to see the car Im going to purchase. Its just a matter of finding a deal I won't lose my ass on. lol

One thing I will say, buying such a high performance car is 1) very exciting and 2) very nerve wracking. Nothing would suck worse than buying the wrong car (meaning, one that has been abused and needs costly repairs).

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all your input. You guys are great. =)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well, Im definitely going to invest in a PPI. and I may even fly out to see the car Im going to purchase. Its just a matter of finding a deal I won't lose my ass on. lol

One thing I will say, buying such a high performance car is 1) very exciting and 2) very nerve wracking. Nothing would suck worse than buying the wrong car (meaning, one that has been abused and needs costly repairs).

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all your input. You guys are great. =)
Hey NimaZ...if you want to get rid of the stress of buying a Lamborghini wondering if you purchased a "bad" one...seriously just work with Cat's Exotics, Lambo Dallas, or Lambo Newport Beach (there may be a couple other really great ones, but these three are the best). They will find the car you want for sure or they may already have it.
It's been said and is pretty much known that if you're buying a car from one of these three shops, you almost don't need a PPI, you can trust them and trust that they won't sell you a car with any issues. Peace of mind is important!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I felt just the opposite, I bought an 05 with 44k, had Lambo do a PPI, figured in tires, plugs, coils, brakes and service and couldn't be happier. I wanted a car I could drive as much as I wanted and not have to worry about huge depreciation for every mile.
If I was interested in a garage queen that I'd put 2k a year on then absolutely I'd have bought the lowest mile newest example I could afford. I traded a 997 Turbo for the Gallardo and it was definitely one of my better decisions. I've put 4k on since May and I I'll have 10k on her before the season ends here in Chicago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts