Lamborghini Talk banner

Gallardo/LP high performance clutch group buy!

3927 Views 28 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  RMR
In order to keep the discussion in one location, follow the link. Thanks for looking and happy father's day!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No comparison and about half the cost with no upcharge for stages 1-3. I'd prefer to get these into the hands of owners and let their performance speak for itself instead of direct comparisons to competitors at their expense. But we will match anyone's warranty and promise better overall performance than the competitors with somewhat similar specifications. All of the major components are made directly by us in Austin with state-of-the-art CNC equipment, nothing is outsourced. Traditionally the business model has been to sell directly to the ultra-high performance shops putting out next level modified vehicles (TT setups and the like) and not to the general public. I'm here to change that and you as the end user, gain a new company who will support your platform on a broader level which is fantastic for the community as a whole.

Here's a few videos of the stuff we do:

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exponentially longer than the OE disk, no comparison, in line with what others claim if not a bit longer. Chances are, the OE flywheel can just be resurfaced as long as you haven't burned it up beyond recognition. If someone can take a few high res photos of the front/back of a flywheel, we can look at the differences between it and the later LP model and likely make/add them to the clutch kit if there's demand.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a pre-LP clutch specifically for your car. I'm sure we've done more than a few but we primarily worked through the big shops not direct to the customer like we're doing now. A few YouTubers have used our clutch. Here's one link from B is for Build and they've abused the HELL out of that clutch for some time now:

Tavarish is using one of our clutches in his new TT build (hopefully that wasn't a spoiler!) as well.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tavarish and B is for Build have manual transmission but I have an Egear. Lamborghini dealer told me if I go with an aftermarket clutch to make sure it works with Egear. Can you direct me to a shop that has installed your Egear clutch?
The clutch works very well in the e-gear equipped cars. Do you trust the largest rebuilder and supplier of OE and bespoke parts for the Graziano gearboxes in the country to make a clutch that works with e-gear? The same company that consulted with Lamborghini on a sequential shift system for a track-only car? Realize they're the exact same clutch/part number depending on year. I literally wouldn't have time to track down where each clutch has gone and find out which one was installed in an e-gear car to be perfectly frank. But we guarantee it'll work with the e-gear cars as well.

We're down to four spots I believe...deposits received from four people already, once we get to five, we'll start production. Willing to cut it short if necessary and those people will get an amazing clutch at an amazing price. Do not miss out!

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wasn't going to post anything but we received a lot of emails about the flywheel. I noticed a lot of false statements. You mentioned that you're convinced that Pre-LP and LP flywheels are the same. They are not the same. LP and Pre-LP flywheels are totally different. I'm surprised with your claim because If you have done one Pre-LP and one LP, you would have know that they are different.
You misread my statement. I said we'd never had a request for a lightweight flywheel for the pre-LP cars which is why we initially weren't offering a flywheel for the pre-LP's. After seeing one, we think we have something that'll work and if it doesn't, we'd refund the customer the cost of the flywheel and pay to have it shipped back.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would there be any downside to having ultra-lightweight flywheel/disks? As in, aluminum? (with appropriate friction surfaces on the 'wheel, such as steel, tungsten, tungsten carbide, whatever your high-tech minds can come up with.)
If you go too light it can cause a number of drivability and NVH issues.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Drivetrain lash, gear rattle, etc... It'll vary from car to car. A flywheel is simply "stored energy", a spinning mass designed to help get the car moving. Remove enough of it and it'll cause drivability issues or just make it harder to drive smoothly at lower speeds. Once on the go, a flywheel is dead weight on a N/A car.

It's simple physics. Who makes them doesn't matter one bit. Aluminum flywheels can have benefits in terms of heat dissipation and clutch life but it's probably modest at best.

And Sean, start your own thread please. I don't go ****ting in yours.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Curious how NVH would increase other than at starting from a dead stop. I am willing to tolerate having to be a ballet dancer on the clutch pedal to get it started in order to cut a lot off of clutch's polar moment, but I can't tolerate an on-off switch for a clutch.
If you're going with Kevlar (stage 1) you will have modulation and can "ride" the clutch after it's properly broken in, so the drivability is the same as stock. With stage 2, ceramic, the hubs are sprung which reduce a bit of the initial shock on take-up but it'll always have more grab and less modulation than Kevlar. I've driven cars with ceramic puck hubs and it isn't that bad honestly unless you have zero sensitivity in your clutch foot! But if you're not TT and don't have an e-gear, go with Kevlar.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Absolutely to all of the above. Most mass-produced vehicles are built to a cost and by committee though so things like brake and pedal feel are "designed" to satisfy a broad customer base.

But it's why the hyper exotics cost what they do. I mean theoretically you could get a Tilton pedal box and adapt it but IMO it would not be something the average consumer would want to do on his/her own.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A forum member has graciously loaned us his pre-LP flywheel and it was sent out today. I'm assuming it'll be here within five business days and we'll take a hard look at it and see what can be done in terms of making a lighter weight version. Should be 100% doable. We'll be able to offer a full working solution for the pre-LP cars with a flywheel.

I don't want to steal his thunder and I'll let him comment if he'd like to! But thanks for your contribution. The community greatly appreciates it!

First batch went out this week!

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The problem with hybrid clutches is the pressure requirements and heat limitations for each material is different and it's a compromise. For E-gear/R-Tronic cars, a ceramic disc, properly designed along with the pressure plate, and dialed in through ODIS, its as good as it gets and no compromise.

We do full transmission rebuilds as well and have some of the strongest parts available anywhere. Our 300M axles are one-piece and we have full billet gear sets available.

The pre-LP clutches are now available WITH a lightweight flywheel. Ready to take orders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.