Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No real surprise, but Australia's The Age newspaper rates the Gallardo as the best "money no object" car for 2004

If money were no object

Lamborghini Gallardo

Some might say the 911 deserves to be on this list. It costs a lot, but it's not mind-bendingly expensive. And that's what we're looking for.

The big-buck Rolls-Royce Phantom is hard to pass up for its superb combination of old-world luxury, new-age technology and jaw-dropping pose value. Its outrageous dimensions and prominent flying lady on the grille ensure it stands out, even in the luxury-swathed Flemington carpark on Melbourne Cup day. Ultimately, we can't plump for a car that's better from the back seat than the front.

Mercedes-Benz's SL65 AMG also misses the boat, but only just. We haven't driven one yet, but Benz's SL is such an impressive bit of kit that the addition of a toupee-destroying twin-turbo V12 to the sleek shape (tweaked by AMG to pump out a staggering 1000 Nm of torque) is too tempting.

But the car we'd have in a minute is the Lamborghini Gallardo. A steal (by Lamborghini standards) at $400,000, it's shatteringly quick, great to drive and achingly beautiful. Best of all, the impressive tractability and user-friendly all-wheel-drive dynamics mean it's easy to drive. After all, who wants to put the dream on hold just because it's raining?

Runners-up

Rolls-Royce
Mercedes-Benz SL65

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hate to say it, owning a G, but my friends SL65 has so much more torque it easily pulls away from the G. Plus you can drive it hard without worrying about frying the clutch :(

·
Registered
165 Posts
drronh said:
Hate to say it, owning a G, but my friends SL65 has so much more torque it easily pulls away from the G. Plus you can drive it hard without worrying about frying the clutch :(
What are the stats on a sl65? I think the Gallardo should still be abl to kill a mercedes ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
The SL65 has 604 hp and 738 ft-lbs. In a straight line on dry pavement it pulls away from the G pretty well. Of course, no one notices it when you're cruising in traffic because new SL's, even SL55's, are a dime a dozen here.
Plus the G (with tubi) sounds a million times better. On the twisties or when braking counts I think the G would win- too bad all the roads here are straight and flat, and theres a red light every few hundred yards

·
Registered
48 Posts
SL65 (High out put engine but heavy)

100 km/h in 4.2 seconds
200 km/h in 12.9 seconds

You should be able to live with it in the G. Althought the 7 speed auto definately makes it easier to drive in a drag race. Just slam your foot down and sit back in your air conditioned massage seats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts