Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gallardo handbrake not holding and went limp. Upon further investigation I saw that the metal connector had come off the two cables. Does anyone know if the centre metal connector should be bent like this? If not what is the part number? Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine looks like that but granted I have to pull the lever all the way up for it to engage. I want to say no it's not supposed to be like that. Let me see if I can find the part number because I've been doing some brake recon recently.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I found a part number but it seems it's for the entire brake handle. They sell the brake handle w/ that part included.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gallardo handbrake not holding and went limp. Upon further investigation I saw that the metal connector had come off the two cables. Does anyone know if the centre metal connector should be bent like this? If not what is the part number? Thanks! View attachment 290803
The connector is bend, but left and right side looks very uneven on your car.
I’ve done a lot of work on the handbrake. Taken apart the calibers rear and cleaned everything and greased every moving part. I also sucked oil thru the cables, to make them operate smooth.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes the connector is meant to have a bend in it...

It looks like the right hand cable has snapped, they do this near the handbrake caliper as the cable goes 90 degrees around a pulley, have a look under the car to check, or try pulling on the right hand cable where you can see it in your photo.

I just replaced both handbrake cables, if you decide to do this, I would suggest greasing the rubber grommets with some rubber safe grease before installing, as it took me quite a long time to feed the cable through and seat the grommets correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the connector is meant to have a bend in it...

It looks like the right hand cable has snapped, they do this near the handbrake caliper as the cable goes 90 degrees around a pulley, have a look under the car to check, or try pulling on the right hand cable where you can see it in your photo.

I just replaced both handbrake cables, if you decide to do this, I would suggest greasing the rubber grommets with some rubber safe grease before installing, as it took me quite a long time to feed the cable through and seat the grommets correctly.
Thanks very much

·
Registered
177 Posts
so I did some additional recon and found this on youtube. If you can find yourself a golf MKIV 2005 you can get that adjustment clip for the car.

Min. 1:33 is your friend.

I've gone on the VW website but they have an odd form of laying out the parts. I can't find the handbrake for the life of me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Having owned no less than a dozen VW's I can tell you that the metal handbrake part you're looking for is the same on any of the MK4, MK5, MK6, and probably MK7 VW cars. My advice would be to go to your local salvage yard, auto recycler, pick your part, etc. and get one out of a smashed up VW. It will probably cost you all of about 2 dollars. Plus you wont have to wait weeks to get it.

·
Vendor
2,621 Posts
Having owned no less than a dozen VW's I can tell you that the metal handbrake part you're looking for is the same on any of the MK4, MK5, MK6, and probably MK7 VW cars. My advice would be to go to your local salvage yard, auto recycler, pick your part, etc. and get one out of a smashed up VW. It will probably cost you all of about 2 dollars. Plus you wont have to wait weeks to get it.
Nice, nice find. We can thank VW and Lambo collaboration on this one. Vs quadruple the price :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts