Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Autocar Magazine:

"Lamborghini could be on the verge of a revolutionary supercar step. The Italian firm is testing a diesel Gallardo, with power coming from the 5.0-litre 309bhp V10 VW engine. According to our sources, Lamborghini engineers are happy with the performance, especially the staggering 553lb ft of torque, but the problem lies with the power delivery, in part due to the narrow rev-range characteristics of a diesel engine.

Lamborghini is not the only company to look into an alternative fuel for a supercar. Toyota has a running prototype for a petrol-electric hybrid supercar, with a view to a launch in 2007."

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had the Touareg with this engine in it. A monster tree uprooter!!! No economy advantage whatsoever - hugely thirsty.

Can't see the point? To sell even more clutches perhaps?

·
Banned
51 Posts
jamesketchell said:
According to Autocar Magazine:

"Lamborghini could be on the verge of a revolutionary supercar step. The Italian firm is testing a diesel Gallardo, with power coming from the 5.0-litre 309bhp V10 VW engine. According to our sources, Lamborghini engineers are happy with the performance, especially the staggering 553lb ft of torque, but the problem lies with the power delivery, in part due to the narrow rev-range characteristics of a diesel engine.

Lamborghini is not the only company to look into an alternative fuel for a supercar. Toyota has a running prototype for a petrol-electric hybrid supercar, with a view to a launch in 2007."
Wow, what is next, an electric Murcielago? ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but I don't imagine that a diesel engine in a supercar would give it better mileage as it does in a normal car, so why even bother?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally i think its a big PR stunt to gain even greater recognition for their current Diesel line up. Lots of free publicity and people will think wow, if that engine can power a supercar then it must be incredible.

Financially speaking miles per gallon didn't enter into the equation when i bought the G, or for that matter any other performance car Ive owned. If your worrying about running costs your going to get a wonderful surprise when you look into depreciation ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't believe it, lambo would never use a diesel. The exaust note would be horrible, power would be in the low revs, and it would be a lot heavier. Diesels have no place in supercars, they belong in frieght trucks and golfs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow, I always wanted my Gallardo to have constant black smoke from the exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts