Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
One of the many reasons I'm looking to sell my car about 4 months after I bought it.

I will say, though. The guys at Developro are hacks. They have no idea what they're doing. Its a shop full of amateurs. I wouldnt treat them as an authority on much. I talked to them about having gears made for the transmission and that was all I needed to realize that they have about the same knowledge as a first year engineering student. Absolutely clueless people.

Reactions: kell211

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not sure the reason behind the fear mongering. Lots of high mileage (50,000+) Pre-LP Gallardos out there.

I believe the issue lies more with the lack of maintenance and high rates of abuse. The LP weak links will also be found as their prices continue to drop and cars change hands with deferred maintenance and higher levels of abuse/neglect.

My car had changed hands 3 times within 3 years and no one did any maintenance other than oil (questionable) until I came along. After a visit to the dealer, and continued yearly checkups, it's been a great car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Something I discovered when searching for my car is that the stereotypes are very accurate. Lamborghini owners, generally, can be expected to buy their cars for clout and for showing off. Unfortunately oil changes and general maintenance do not generate likes on instagram, so they dont get done. PPIs, guys.

Reactions: HonkyLips

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 2008 Reiter GT3 Gallardo. These are pre LP cars and about 49 were made. They were mainly used in GT3 racing in Europe and Asia. Many blew bottom ends through rod failures and all of them eventually ran upgraded forged rods. My car has had them since it came to Australia in 2010 from Asia. The engine was refreshed in 2015 just before I bought it and I have run it in sprints and endurance races since and have done nothing to the motor except change oil after each meet (and have the oil anaysed). It runs most of the time between 6500-8000 rpm and still runs factory spec leakdowns and compression ratios across all cyclinders. Once you change the rods, you can't kill these motors. My mates with 997 Porsche Cup cars look on in awe (though 991s seem to last over 100 hours).
I'll keep running the old beast until the motor finally lets go then park it up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 2008 Reiter GT3 Gallardo. These are pre LP cars and about 49 were made. They were mainly used in GT3 racing in Europe and Asia. Many blew bottom ends through rod failures and all of them eventually ran upgraded forged rods. My car has had them since it came to Australia in 2010 from Asia. The engine was refreshed in 2015 just before I bought it and I have run it in sprints and endurance races since and have done nothing to the motor except change oil after each meet (and have the oil anaysed). It runs most of the time between 6500-8000 rpm and still runs factory spec leakdowns and compression ratios across all cyclinders. Once you change the rods, you can't kill these motors. My mates with 997 Porsche Cup cars look on in awe (though 991s seem to last over 100 hours).
I'll keep running the old beast until the motor finally lets go then park it up.

Where did you get the rods?

·
Registered
243 Posts
It was before I bought the car but strangely enough I believe it was through Developro who also rebuilt my motor before I bought the car. Obviously a guy a above in the thread doesn't have nice words about them, but I think back in the day, when there were more of these cars racing, that they were the goto guys for pre-LP motors. Nowadays I'd just ask Brian Pauter who'd make up set pretty quickly. He's looking after some motor parts for another project (non Lambo) of mine at present

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes, I spoke to them about having custom gears made. The way they spoke showed that they really had no clue from an engineering perspective. They also told me that I could buy gears they had already made, but I couldnt know the ratios. They were shocked that I wasnt going to pay them $4500 for what is effectively a mystery box of gears. I've had gears made to my specification a few times before for other cars and its always been an easy process. Usually the people on the other end know more than me, which is how I like it.

Me:

Developro:

Me:

Developro:

Me:

Me again:

Developro:

There was a lot before that, too. Just coming off like they didnt have a clue how to do anything other than possibly assemble an engine. No surprise that the video above is effectively a very surface level overview of what a rod is. When I initially posted this I had people messaging me saying they had a similar experience. Maybe they're competent mechanics, but I wouldnt put much faith in them for anything engineering related.

Reactions: HonkyLips

·
Registered
264 Posts
One of the many reasons I'm looking to sell my car about 4 months after I bought it.

I will say, though. The guys at Developro are hacks. They have no idea what they're doing. Its a shop full of amateurs. I wouldnt treat them as an authority on much. I talked to them about having gears made for the transmission and that was all I needed to realize that they have about the same knowledge as a first year engineering student. Absolutely clueless people.
they are engine builders, they dont specialize in gearboxes or mfg. for that matter.

·
Vendor
145 Posts

Check out HCF. I work with them extensively and they know what they're doing in the gear department! https://hcfautoparts.com

Edit: Saw your blow by blow response and you're already going with HCF. Good choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts