Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you all for the insights and opinions regarding white exterior color options. I have my eye on a new LP550-2 Spyder in Balloon over the bicolore black interior with the diamond stitched white inserts.

Question to those of you who own Gallardos, especially spyders. I know these cars are magnificent when pushed. What can you tell me about the comfort level when you're in a relaxed 60 mph cruise on smooth, curvy country roads? I've spent a lot of time in Porsche 911s and Aston Martin Vantage V8s. Any compare and contrast opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you all for the insights and opinions regarding white exterior color options. I have my eye on a new LP550-2 Spyder in Balloon over the bicolore black interior with the diamond stitched white inserts.

Question to those of you who own Gallardos, especially spyders. I know these cars are magnificent when pushed. What can you tell me about the comfort level when you're in a relaxed 60 mph cruise on smooth, curvy country roads? I've spent a lot of time in Porsche 911s and Aston Martin Vantage V8s. Any compare and contrast opinions would be appreciated.
I went from a 997 to a Gallardo and they are very different cars indeed, with ride being one of the key differentials - The G can feel unpleasant and rather uncomfortable on country roads and around town, whereas the 911 was sublime - However, and it's a big however, whilst I love Porsches and Astons, the sense of occasion and thrill you get in a G outways all the negatives in one strike.......

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
You sit in a reclined position but the short front nose helps a lot in gauage where the car is.

The seat back is a bit firm so plan a rest every couple of hours.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I had both before the G. The G is more hardcore. Find someone to let you drive theirs for an hour. It won't dissuade you but it will be different...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
We've done some very long drives. I find the car very comfortable. The ride is stiff compared to a luxury sedan (obviously) but for me - on the highway - perfectly acceptable. It's tougher on my husband who has a bad back and tends to feel the bumps in the road more than I.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It kills my lower back to be in the car for more than 30 minutes. I'm 6'2" thou and have the seat as far back as it can go for leg room and I can't sit straight up without having my hair rub the roof so I have to hunch a bit. Otherwise extremely smooth riding for a sports car, especially at the ride height. Huge improvement over my Viper. Its like a woman in High Heels, makes her look great, but she wouldn't want to wear them all day every day

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
14,724 Posts
PDiddy,

I think your height and weight will have a lot to do with your comfort level. I just bought a 550 spyder and I love EVERYTHING about it. I'm about a perfect fit as far as I am concerned. I'm 6' at 175.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wow, I'm actually quite surprised about some of the answers, here. I have no difficulty driving the Gallardo for hours on end, with no discomfort, at all. A friend and I drove home recently - it was a road trip that for me, lasted eight hours. I only stopped for gas (and one speeding ticket :( - didn't have to get out of the car, however). I find the car as comfortable as my e92 M3 (which had coilovers, mind, with a moderate drop only) for long distance travelling.
I do think that if one was over six foot two, it would be an issue. I'm five foot ten. I find the seats very supportive, and actually remarkably well cushioned - in fact, compared to many "racing seats" that I have experienced, I almost wish that the Gallardo's seats were a little better bolstered, and had a little firmer feel - they just don't lock you in as well as many seats that I have encountered.
To answer the OP's post, I do think that at a relaxed cruise of 60mph, the Gallardo is a great GT car - slightly higher noise levels than the average sports sedan/coupe, but it's definitely not a car that one has to put up with. And no, I am not a masochist, LOL. :D

I wouldn't call the Gallardo anything NEAR hard core. To me, hard core would be an Ariel Atom, or a Caterham (ask me how I know...... I once took a Caterham from Dublin to Paris with a friend, driving across the UK, with stops only for gas.... now THAT was an exercise in tolerance....)

I agree, Russ - I think body type will be a major determining factor, here. If you are of slim to moderate build, and under 6' 3", it will be fine. Guys and girls with proportionally longer legs might have a problems, too, with that dead pedal taking up so much room.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wouldn't call the Gallardo anything NEAR hard core. To me, hard core would be an Ariel Atom, or a Caterham (ask me how I know...... I once took a Caterham from Dublin to Paris with a friend, driving across the UK, with stops only for gas.... now THAT was an exercise in tolerance....)

I agree, Russ - I think body type will be a major determining factor, here. If you are of slim to moderate build, and under 6' 3", it will be fine. Guys and girls with proportionally longer legs might have a problems, too, with that dead pedal taking up so much room.
More hardcore than either the Porsche or Aston, which was the original question. It is, of course, also my opinion only. It's all relative. I don't expect anyone to be asking about the comfort of an Atom as compared to an Aston :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
More hardcore than either the Porsche or Aston, which was the original question. It is, of course, also my opinion only. It's all relative. I don't expect anyone to be asking about the comfort of an Atom as compared to an Aston :)
Haha - yes, perhaps, but I've spent considerable time in an AM V8 Vantage - the Gallardo is certainly more hardcore than a 911 or a Vantage, but not THAT much more so - it amounts to much less of a difference than one might expect, methinks - and, really, there are several iterations of the 911 are are considerably more harsh than the Gallardo, too. I had the opportunity to ride shotgun in a 911 GT3 RS... now that was not comfortable.

I agree - it's all relative, but for me, the Gallardo is VERY acceptable, if comfort is high on your priority list, which is what the OP was inquiring about. I was very surprised that an eight-hour road trip was completed without any undue fatigue in the Gallardo, which is something I can't say for a road trip done in a friend's AM Vantage V8, over a duration of two hours - my butt was sore as anything after the AM.

Me, given the option of 911/Vantage/Gallardo, assuming the 911 being considered was a version worth owning ( :D ), I'd chose the Gallardo any day. I guess it's just me, my body type, and my opinion, that's all :)

To the OP - if you have spent time in a proper 911, or an AM Vantage, you will find the Gallardo a very pleasant surprise, IMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I sat in a brand-new Gallardo and then I've sat in the new M5, as well as my own BMW. I can say, I'm shocked the Gallardo is more comfy. The M5 feels like a wooden board (yes, it was leather), my BMW feels stiff after long drives, but the Gallardo felt pretty cushioned (this is with Q-stiching).

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm 6'3 and hope to own a Gallardo but it's making me a little skeptical that I am not going to fit..... This is a dumb question, but is there anyone in the DC area who would allow me to sit in their G to see if I could even fit in one? I'd buy you lunch! :D There's a dealer a few miles down the road but I am not sure how serious they would take me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the comments regarding the Gallardo's comfort compared to a 911 or AM Vantage. My use would consist primarily of one to two times each week taking this baby on a brisk 2-hour trek thru some beautiful, smooth, curvy and fairly wide-open country roads. Lots of engaging 3-4-5, 5-4-3. Can ya hear it? From time to time I'd take it on a cross state adventure, hopping from hamlet to hamlet. Maybe once or twice a year a 5-hr run down the highway to bring car in for service, unless I transport it.

Most of the time this 2-wheel drive Gallardo would be in that 65 to 95 mph slow-in fast-out curve-to-curve transitioning motion. Then come upon a small town, slow to absorb the sites, stop for lunch, then blast home. So I need a bit of cruising comfort in between bouts of intense rapid transit.

Thanks y'all - Diddy

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thank you all for the comments regarding the Gallardo's comfort compared to a 911 or AM Vantage. My use would consist primarily of one to two times each week taking this baby on a brisk 2-hour trek thru some beautiful, smooth, curvy and fairly wide-open country roads. Lots of engaging 3-4-5, 5-4-3. Can ya hear it? From time to time I'd take it on a cross state adventure, hopping from hamlet to hamlet. Maybe once or twice a year a 5-hr run down the highway to bring car in for service, unless I transport it.

Most of the time this 2-wheel drive Gallardo would be in that 65 to 95 mph slow-in fast-out curve-to-curve transitioning motion. Then come upon a small town, slow to absorb the sites, stop for lunch, then blast home. So I need a bit of cruising comfort in between bouts of intense rapid transit.

Thanks y'all - Diddy
From what you describe, I think the Gallardo would be absolutely perfect.

If you do find it a little uncomfortable for the five-hour drive, it's only once or twice a year - no big deal. Like I said, I drove mine for eight hours straight, with no issues whatsoever. For those two-hour countryside blasts, it will be automotive nirvana :D

·
Registered
45 Posts

Thanks y'all - Diddy
I agree with TTBear - sounds perfect for the G. Honestly, sounds perfect for any of the cars mentioned. None of these are track day specials. While I found my Astons a bit more comfy than my G, it doesn't mean the G isn't being used as a daily driver for a 2-3 hr daily commute.

I don't think comfort is going to split your decision one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
14,724 Posts
I think any temporary discomfort is negated and not even noticeable due to the incredible flow of adrenaline derived from driving the car.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Can anyone compare the G ride vs a 430?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I purchased my car in Ohio last month and drove it 21 hours straight to Florida only stopping for food and restroom breaks. I found it pretty comfortable and I'm 6'3 as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts