Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gallardo, I have a few options I'm looking at. It seems as though the most important issue maintenance wise is the clutch. What is everyone's take on what an "Acceptable" clutch snap purchase would be at time of purchase? I would have to think down the road as well when I go to sell it and upgrade! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
757 Posts
There's a few variables there. Let's say it's at 90% life left (so 10% used). But you drive the **** out of it, abuse it, track it, put about 1000 miles a month, etc. By the time you resell it, you would have had to replace the clutch anyway, maybe a couple of times.

But let's say it's got 30% left (70%) used, but it's been well taken care of and you are only putting 50 miles a month on it and you keep it for 4 years... chances are you'll never have to replace it.

Just depends on how much you plan to drive it and how.

Personally, I only drive mine now barely 1200 miles a year so clutch life isn't going to be too bad (though I have put $$ away to replace it, if needed).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a few variables there. Let's say it's at 90% life left (so 10% used). But you drive the **** out of it, abuse it, track it, put about 1000 miles a month, etc. By the time you resell it, you would have had to replace the clutch anyway, maybe a couple of times.

But let's say it's got 30% left (70%) used, but it's been well taken care of and you are only putting 50 miles a month on it and you keep it for 4 years... chances are you'll never have to replace it.

Just depends on how much you plan to drive it and how.

Personally, I only drive mine now barely 1200 miles a year so clutch life isn't going to be too bad (though I have put $$ away to replace it, if needed).
Great thanks for the insight. I’d bet I would put 2k miles a year MAX on it. The one I really like has about 55% life left, another has 68%, another 45%. Just trying to avoid the 10k replacement I’ve been hearing about

·
Registered
82 Posts
At those levels, I'd just pick the one you like best. I wouldn't use 20% in clutch life as 10% either way to make my decision. Also you can get a clutch done for less from an indie than $10k.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense thank you. Just have to find an indie by me to be sure
At those levels, I'd just pick the one you like best. I wouldn't use 20% in clutch life as 10% either way to make my decision. Also you can get a clutch done for less from an indie than $10k.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am at 41k miles on the clutch on my 2004 Gallardo. Replaced at 24k my car is at 65k now, it is still holding strong now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Gallardo I really want has 55% life left with 25k miles on it. Would all you be concerned with that if I’m planning to upgrade in 3-5 years? Would only drive the car 2-3k miles a year.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Gallardo I really want has 55% life left with 25k miles on it. Would all you be concerned with that if I’m planning to upgrade in 3-5 years? Would only drive the car 2-3k miles a year.
It wouldn't scare me if it's the car and the spec you want. Worst case, sometime in the future you have to put a clutch in it. Not a big deal. Factor an extra 5-8K in you budget just in case. Drive the car and enjoy it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Why is everyone so worried about these clutches? Buy the car you want and factor in the cost of a clutch as part of the ownership. Or try to negotiate a prorated discount based on the percentage of clutch left. The way I look at it is in order to afford the car you need to be able to afford to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It wouldn't scare me if it's the car and the spec you want. Worst case, sometime in the future you have to put a clutch in it. Not a big deal. Factor an extra 5-8K in you budget just in case. Drive the car and enjoy it.
That’s the plan ! Thanjs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why is everyone so worried about these clutches? Buy the car you want and factor in the cost of a clutch as part of the ownership. Or try to negotiate a prorated discount based on the percentage of clutch left. The way I look at it is in order to afford the car you need to be able to afford to replace the clutch.
Sure thing it’s always nice to know general consensus. Call me crazy but just trying to figure out when the bill is coming

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gallardo, I have a few options I'm looking at. It seems as though the most important issue maintenance wise is the clutch. What is everyone's take on what an "Acceptable" clutch snap purchase would be at time of purchase? I would have to think down the road as well when I go to sell it and upgrade! Thanks for the help!
Some of our customers actually want to buy a Gallardo with a bad/burnt or low on clutch. They would get a clutch credit. Then they get our clutch that lasts 350% longer. Now they don't have to worry about clutch for a long time. Because of the credit, they basically get our clutch for free.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The example ur looking at shows it was driven properly. Mine has about 38k mi and will last another 20-30k mi. It’s nothing to worry about unless you daily drive it or don’t know how to do it right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some of our customers actually want to buy a Gallardo with a bad/burnt or low on clutch. They would get a clutch credit. Then they get our clutch that lasts 350% longer. Now they don't have to worry about clutch for a long time. Because of the credit, they basically get our clutch for free.
Good to know thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The example ur looking at shows it was driven properly. Mine has about 38k mi and will last another 20-30k mi. It’s nothing to worry about unless you daily drive it or don’t know how to do it right.
Appreciate it, seems like it’s been well taken care of

1 - 16 of 16 Posts