Lamborghini Talk banner

Gallardo Clutch Question - Massachusetts Specific

5K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  GTE Engineering 
#1 ·
Ok, question for the Gallardo masses. I'm pretty sure my clutch is on its final breath (07 spyder with just over 20k) I am now getting a sound similar to belt squeak in 1st gear when the engine is cold and first gear feels as if it is feathering on/off more than it used to. Once everything is warmed up it goes away, but if I stomp on in pulling away from a dead stomp I will get the squeal sound for a moment.

Anyway fast forward to the fix. Lamborghini Boston has quoted me a ballpark of $10k (yeah). Autohaus of Boston has a couple options. OEM clutch replacement was quoted just below $10k but then they gave me two rebuild options through a company in Orange NJ who rebuilds the clutch. For roughly $8,800 they can rebuild the existing using carbon kevlar to last longer. (I'm told they rebuild everything, throw out bearing included). For approx. $1,000 less they can rebuild OEM.

1) Has anyone here ever had a clutch rebuilt as opposed to replaced?- I had never heard of this previously.
2) Does anyone in MA/NH/RI/CT know of a shop that has done a Gallardo Clutch for lower than the numbers above. I keep hearing $4k-$7k range online, but based on my phone calls I appear to be dreaming at that price point.

#3 ·
Thanks. Unfortunately repairing myself is not a route I want to go both for time sake and the fact that I've only ever done one clutch job previously and really don't want to be experimenting on the Gallardo (plus I have an E-Gear and have heard that I still need to have the car reprogrammed by Lambo to accept the new clutch).

As it stands I have an appt. on Friday with the dealer to do a snap and confirm that I indeed need a new clutch (I have to drop the car at the dealer anyway to have a new key I purchased programmed).

I was really hoping to find a cheaper alternative but to save $1,200 by going to an Indy is not enough for me. The dealership warranty on their work is worth more in piece of mind if anything goes wrong. I'm going to call Paramus in NJ as well just to compare pricing. Its a much longer drive for me but if the price is significantly better it may be worth it.

#5 ·
I've seen people throw around similar figures for a clutch job ($4-7k) on this forum and quite honestly find it to be total BS. My closest reputable independent shop, Black Horse Motorwerks, quoted me $12K for the job. I decided I'll just do it myself and searched for the bottom dollar on all new OEM parts for my clutch job, and just the parts were right around $5k (purchased everything in 2020). Labor would be a few thousand at minimum at any decent independent shop. If someone got it done cheaper, let me know what parts were used and where/how!

Regarding rebuilding the clutch, I looked into that as well but found some bad stories about GTE Engineering and their clutches not engaging properly (on Ferrari/Maserati forums as well), not to mention some seedy behaviors from them. I decided it was not worth any potential headache just to save a few thousand.

#10 ·
You're 100% correct about GTE/PEGA. That is the company that Autohaus of Boston is referring to. GTE has a lot of unhappy customers. Here is couple of them:

This customer had to rebuild his transmission because of PEGA/GET clutch.

Autohaus of Boston is very expensive now. Stay with Lambo of Boston.

If you need a clutch, we have clutches that last 350% longer than a factory clutch.

You can read more from our happy customers here. There are over 470 posts so be patient and read them all.

#6 ·
You can probably find OEM parts with an updated LP throwout bearing for around $3k.

Doing it yourself isn’t that bad. I’ve done it and the procedure is well documented here.

Once you’re done, just tow the car to your nearest shop (doesn’t even have to be a dealership), or you might even be able to sweet talk them into coming to you to reset your PIS.

That would be WAY cheaper than $12k.

#7 ·
Probably being able to find the parts for that price, and actually finding/buying the parts for that price is a different story. To me the job requires at a minimum the following:

1 X 7L105269F New OEM F version clutch/flywheel assembly
1 X 86141671L New OEM throw-out bearing
1 X 7L105276 New OEM pilot bearing
1 X 86141297 New OEM clutch position sensor
1 X 7L103051A New OEM rear main seal
8 X WHT000938 New OEM flywheel hardware
3 X N10124306 New OEM throwout bearing hardware
1 X N90111302 O-ring
1 X WHT002218 O-ring
4 L tutela cs speed fluid or Pentosin chf-11s

Where do you see all those parts in 2021 for $3k?

#8 ·
OEM clutch ~$2k

t/o bearing ~$600

Pilot Bearing ~$100

seals and orings~$200

Dot4 Brake fluid~ $30

My car was a manual so I didn't have the clutch position sensor, so I don't know what that costs, so barring that, I'm pretty close! 😘

#16 ·
The rear main seal is not necessary to replace, but good practice to replace because you have access to it while the transmission is out. Cheap insurance that you won't be pulling the transmission back out anytime soon chasing an oil leak there.

#14 ·
Maybe a different world in MA vs FL where I live however with that said we can get a new OEM clutch installed complete with everything for about $4K all day long at multiple well qualified shops here. $10K is dealer pricing. Do not waste your money on a "rebuilt" most of the cost is labor not parts for an OEM clutch. There are lots of exotics in MA, plenty of well qualified non dealer shops that can do this work, if your paying $10K for an OEM clutch my friend you need to look elsewhere. A real simple way to find out if the clutch is near the near the end of its life without a reading -does it grind in reverse or have trouble getting into/staying in reverse? that will be the first to go.

#15 ·
I hear it over and over again with nothing to back it up...show me where you currently see even just the parts (all new OEM) for that price or show me a quote you received for new OEM clutch replacement that is $4k. As I stated before, I searched for the bottom dollar, any source, on every part listed above to do the job my self in April of 2020 and it all came out to just about $5k...just my parts cost. In fact the OEM clutches and throw-out bearings are even more expensive now than when I bought mine from Scuderia Car Parts in 2020.

#25 ·
I deal with Silver Arrow as well quite a bit. If the shop will let you bring in your own parts then will be much cheaper as well buying them through me.

#29 ·
Ok, update for the folks who are in MA and may need clutch work. The good news is you can get it done affordably! I ended up going with Eurotech in Natick MA. (link below). HIGHLY recommended. I purchased all of the parts myself from Scuderia ($4,957.11 for all parts). Eurotech did the full clutch for $2,000. It took a week, I just picked up this afternoon and could not be happier. The price ended up being $6,957.11 all in - considerably less than the $15k Lamborghini Boston wanted and the service really was exceptional.

Sandy's Site (eurotechnatick.com)

#31 ·
Just fir future reference, I know a lot of people in US buy from Scuderia which you are paying duties, taxes, and shipping charges at checkout from UK. In this clutch order here you would have saved another $900 on the total order if you bought all of these through me.

7L105269F
WHT000938
86141671L
N90111302
WHT002218
N10124306
7L105276
7L103051A​

#34 ·
Here's a couple but there were more stories of negative experiences with GTE engineering floating around the internet. It seems you've done a good job cleaning up the negative reviews and forum posts from the past though.

I made the determination based on my own internet research and due diligence that I, personally, would not want a rebuilt clutch from GTE engineering and bought all OEM parts. Never told others not to go there, or left your business a negative review (because I have not used your services). But yes, please ask the administrators to ban me from the forum. :rolleyes:

#35 · (Edited)
Lamborghini Aventador Pega Kevlar Clutch
Here's a couple but there were more stories of negative experiences with GTE engineering floating around the internet. It seems you've done a good job cleaning up the negative reviews and forum posts from the past though.

I made the determination based on my own internet research and due diligence that I, personally, would not want a rebuilt clutch from GTE engineering and bought all OEM parts. Never told others not to go there, or left your business a negative review (because I have not used your services). But yes, please ask the administrators to ban me from the forum. :rolleyes:
The person was ONLY referring to a complain about the installation not our Product! But you turned around and add your nasty smearing and comment to our name and add this to your nonsense 10 + years old forum links to make your point valid!

Have you ever called us? Ever asked us an question about any our products?

Have you seen us on Ferrari Chat? So we are the #1 BEST in Ferrari clutch rebuild, the #1 BEST in Maserati clutch rebuild, but not in Lamborghini and I have 2 Lamborghini's my self ))) really??

And they work on GTE Engineering Parts and PEGA Kevlar Clutch FXSS-SC performance..

Have You ever seen a Lamborghini Aventador Kevlar clutch set?? I bet you not because we are the only company that have it..

Lamborghini Aventador Pega Clutch

All GTE products PEGA Clutch sets as well as Actuator Rebuilds are tested prior shipping out and some are going thru a intense testing.

#36 ·
Again, I'm not instructing people to stay away from GTE Engineering. I've not smeared your business name. I simply shared the decision I made (3.5 years ago) that I did not want to buy a rebuilt clutch from GTE Engineering based on what I found from my own online research at the time. I considered cost, quality and uncertainty and determined OEM parts to be my best option.

#37 · (Edited)
Why are you not commenting on this video ? ))))

Can you share your honest opinion on this video for all in this Lamborghini Forum?

You say : You never used our product but can say that our "Clutch do not engaging properly" ?

- How come You can you say that! and on the same time say "I never used your product" ? Now that is shady...

Buy our product once and let's see if you think the same)))
so stop re posting other's opinion and get your own one.

We have theirs rebuild units in our workshop and its really seriously bad rebuild

!!!!watch the video!!!!

🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.