Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, wanted to get your thoughts on a situation I’m in. I need to satisfy a super car itch.
Am wanting a pre LP car and hold for only 1-2 years then sell. Will put about 8K -10k miles on in those two years. What am I looking at as far as depreciation only during those two years? Could I lose as little as $10k during that time? Values seem to be holding well from what I’ve seen online. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I'm not the one to answer your question as I don't know Gallardos but if taking a loss is a risk you can't take I wouldn't do it. What you're not accounting for, at least in your question, is the risk of some sort of accident occurring during said time period and the amount of driving you're doing. I have an order in on a Huracan and I went ahead and traded in my car to take advantage of current high prices and completely eliminate the risk that I'm involved in an accident which would diminish the value of my trade. If you can take a financial hit on depreciation/loss then take the risk on the possibility of something happening to the car and just go enjoy it!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An addition: I currently own a Maserati GTS and Jeep SRT which have both been great. I really just want to add a bright, loud, crazy super car to the garage for a year or two and get out alive, and put that money back into rental properties. Just need to satisfy the super car itch and seems like the Gallardo is the car to do it in… great value for money. Looking to spend about $115k… your advice is appreciated

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Most likely you will pay a lot now....and no one knows where the market will go....up or down
but i bet down .

·
Registered
768 Posts
Depends on how many miles you're starting off at. If you pay a premium for a car with say 10k miles and you now add 10k, yeah, you'll loose about $10k total, maybe even less. Not includes taxes of course.

However, if you buy one with 36k... add 10k, you'd lose a little bit more because by then it'd be 2 years older have and have almost 46k miles.

Then again, people that bought their cars say 2 years ago, have seen value hold and actually go up... so you never know.

One factor though... if the clutch gets worn or some other service requirement comes up (the 15k service is 3-4k even at an indy), then that would eat into it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just borrow equity on one of your rental property's and write it off as a expense.
Thanks am planning to use rental cash flow to satisfy the monthly payments then sell it and get out with little $ loss in the end. I’m not in RE professionally just have a few small rentals so I don’t believe I can write off a car as a business expense, esp a high-end one at this stage of the game, hehe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not the one to answer your question as I don't know Gallardos but if taking a loss is a risk you can't take I wouldn't do it. What you're not accounting for, at least in your question, is the risk of some sort of accident occurring during said time period and the amount of driving you're doing. I have an order in on a Huracan and I went ahead and traded in my car to take advantage of current high prices and completely eliminate the risk that I'm involved in an accident which would diminish the value of my trade. If you can take a financial hit on depreciation/loss then take the risk on the possibility of something happening to the car and just go enjoy it!!
Thanks would be easy highway miles on it for the most part. But you’re right potential repair costs or an accident is definitely a risk worth considering. Im tired of having equity in cars because after a few years the interest fades in them, I think better to own for a few years, get your fun out , then on to the next and keep as much free $$ as you can, my 2 cents

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi all, wanted to get your thoughts on a situation I’m in. I need to satisfy a super car itch.
Am wanting a pre LP car and hold for only 1-2 years then sell. Will put about 8K -10k miles on in those two years. What am I looking at as far as depreciation only during those two years? Could I lose as little as $10k during that time? Values seem to be holding well from what I’ve seen online. Thanks
All other factors being equal, a manual will depreciate less than an egear, and may even be worth more. The market can always change (I probably don't have to tell you that if you're in real estate) but manuals in all exotic cars have been slowly appreciating for the last few years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All other factors being equal, a manual will depreciate less than an egear, and may even be worth more. The market can always change (I probably don't have to tell you that if you're in real estate) but manuals in all exotic cars have been slowly appreciating for the last few years.
Great point, the manual cars will probably slowly increase in value if anything. Can’t imagine owning a car then selling and making money on it, the ones who do are beyond the brightest, hehe. Not sure I could swing a gated car though I’m guessing they’ve almost doubled in value just like the 3 pedal F cars ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
My thought is seeing where lambo is headed w/ the electric / hybrid era and all this talk I'd say buying a Gallardo or any manual lambo for that matter will be worth your interest at this time. Yes the prices are high however I feel w/ the release of more hybrids the rarity of the manual and roaring v10 / v12 will be in higher demand as the years go by. Take for example the Gallardo I own I bought it back in 2015 and if I sell it now I'd be w/ a gain of about 40k plus minus. Many have said these will continue to climb. If you are interested in purchasing I'd say do it now before they continue to go up. I don't see them depreciating. That's just my look on it. As some have said may go up may go down.

Good luck and happy hunting :D

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,579 Posts
Nothing scientific here, but rough estimate over two years on a $115K pre-LP G: $10K in taxes, $10K in maintenance and $10K in depreciation over 10K miles and your two year stint will cost $30K plus cost of your capital. Can you walk from $30K? If not, let the itch grow until you can be in a better situation. If you can, then maybe my math is plus or minus some margin but you’ll be comfortable with the risk regardless of the final outcome.

and by the way, to address a few posts above, insure your car with agreed value not actual cash value coverage.

·
Registered
2006 Gallardo SE
172 Posts
My thought is seeing where lambo is headed w/ the electric / hybrid era and all this talk I'd say buying a Gallardo or any manual lambo for that matter will be worth your interest at this time. Yes the prices are high however I feel w/ the release of more hybrids the rarity of the manual and roaring v10 / v12 will be in higher demand as the years go by. Take for example the Gallardo I own I bought it back in 2015 and if I sell it now I'd be w/ a gain of about 40k plus minus. Many have said these will continue to climb. If you are interested in purchasing I'd say do it now before they continue to go up. I don't see them depreciating. That's just my look on it. As some have said may go up may go down.

Good luck and happy hunting :D
This was my exact feeling a year ago, since I bought my SE in Australia 3 months ago its value has gone up $20k easy - I'm looking for cars for other buyers here but cant get them & I'm not selling mine!
Hurracan entry level price here is at least double the value of my old SE - this is another reason values are going to stay very healthy in Australia at least for a very long time I'm sure.

Also used car dealers just seem to keep pushing the envelope in asking prices for Gallardos here - must be getting lots of enquiries - when I was looking none bothered emailing/calling me back.
looks at this one - yes its a manual, but they would ask similar for an E-gear - they dont care lol - Also its clearly an 05, not a MY06 as described!

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think when you’ve bought that Gallardo, you don’t want to sell it anymore and maybe even want to upgrade after a year or two. Once infected by the Lambo virus… 😉
This man speaks the truth!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Exotic prices are currently up 10 - 20% across the board in today's market conditions, and no one really knows where the market will be in two years. I will say, in my personal opinion, the experience and smiles per miles in owning a Gallardo is worth whatever potential depreciation that may or may not happen :)

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Exotic prices are currently up 10 - 20% across the board in today's market conditions, and no one really knows where the market will be in two years. I will say, in my personal opinion, the experience and smiles per miles in owning a Gallardo is worth whatever potential depreciation that may or may not happen :)
Agree. Also have never understood not driving to keep the miles low to add value in a future sale one day? How is a few thousand more in a future sale worth the enjoyment you have lost not driving the car? Another point is that better examples are disappearing and finding permanent homes. It would be wise to grab a pristine or rare example while you can. A few years ago there were at any one time several hundred cars listed on duPont REGISTRY. Today only 50. The selection is narrowing and getting what you want is narrowing also. The window is closing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm in Australia - have a 2004 for 10+ years and I'd say I'd get my money back easily ($A145k). I think the OP is disregarding how good a Gallardo is to the other cars he's owned. In Australia, even going to the gas station is an "event" - the difference between that and my Porsche is huge. Yes the Porsche is nice but the attention the Gallardo gets is GREAT (in a bright color - mines pearl yellow).
Now, because I know you WILL keep the car, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get the Kline valveltronic exhaust - not even many Lambos sound as good (I also own a 2016 roadster and the pre LP kills it in the sound department!).
So, despite your real estate aspirations (I own 58 houses here in Australia) I would buy it - who knows, you could be dead next year (but I AM 70!)..

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have to agree and MUST borrow Lambo2018 post where he ripped my heart out w/ this video to this day!

The smiles you put on kid's faces when you pull up to the gas station or wherever just ugh I can't describe it. Damn Lambo2018 because at 1:29 of that video if you don't smile you're dead inside!

Reactions: Markcwq
1 - 20 of 22 Posts