Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here, 2013 LP 560-4 Spyder. I've had the car four days and have driven it daily: freeway/city. It's a new battery, Oct 2020, and has been slow to crank over after parking. The battery gauge looks fine while driving. This morning it was totally dead. It came with a silver Lamborghini trickle charger, but I thought I'd only have to use it if not driving for a couple weeks at a time? Last night I did leave the top down all night. Could that have killed the battery? What are some best practices to make sure it starts up every morning? For example, leave it parked in N or 1? Is it OK to leave my phone charger plugged in? Thanks very much.

Registered
That is fast to drain the battery. Grounding issues are common on Gallardos, so check the connection between the negative on the battery and the ground connection on the car frame. Corrosion there creates power issues. I learned it the hard way 馃槅
On my 2005 the cigaret lighter outlet is always powered, so I don鈥檛 leave anything connected there overnight.

Registered
New owner here, 2013 LP 560-4 Spyder. I've had the car four days and have driven it daily: freeway/city. It's a new battery, Oct 2020, and has been slow to crank over after parking. The battery gauge looks fine while driving. This morning it was totally dead. It came with a silver Lamborghini trickle charger, but I thought I'd only have to use it if not driving for a couple weeks at a time? Last night I did leave the top down all night. Could that have killed the battery? What are some best practices to make sure it starts up every morning? For example, leave it parked in N or 1? Is it OK to leave my phone charger plugged in? Thanks very much.
Ground cable almost certain. The G has all sorts of electrical gremlins because of this silly cable mine did and I know others. New battery same problems, change the cable, cleaned the connection to the frame, cleaned the bolt, put it all back together problems solved 100% of them. Changing the cable is a hassle because of the location of where it attaches to the frame, but well worth it- This is a very common and known problem with the G

Vendor
Beachman is right. That鈥檚 another common issue. And even having the battery die just once in these cars will weaken it and will usually never be as good when starting

See my post here and set #7 and the pics I posted of the ground.

Also, If you never want to deal with this issue again I have new lithium ion batteries that will never die but the price is chapel of a basic battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I will check the ground cable and make sure the phone charger isn't plugged in, thanks. Could leaving the top down all night have done anything? I guess it's best to close it up for dust, anyway. Also, does it matter to leave parked in N or 1?

Vendor
I will check the ground cable and make sure the phone charger isn't plugged in, thanks. Could leaving the top down all night have done anything? I guess it's best to close it up for dust, anyway. Also, does it matter to leave parked in N or 1?
No, I have a Spyder right now I'm storing for a customer and that won't effect anything with the battery.

Vendor
No, I have a Spyder right now I'm storing for a customer and that won't effect anything with the battery. @mako_steve2020

Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
Leaving car in first or neutral or top down - none of that has any effect on battery whatsoever. Cigarette lighter must be unplugged as it鈥檚 always live, at least in my car. Finally listen to the above posters about the ground. That is not only critical but most likely the culprit other than leaving the cigarette lighter plugged in.

my manual says to put a trickle charger on it if it is unattended for 30 days. I would never go that long. A week is fine but not beyond that, in my own practices.

Registered
Leaving car in first or neutral or top down - none of that has any effect on battery whatsoever. Cigarette lighter must be unplugged as it鈥檚 always live, at least in my car. Finally listen to the above posters about the ground. That is not only critical but most likely the culprit other than leaving the cigarette lighter plugged in.

my manual says to put a trickle charger on it if it is unattended for 30 days. I would never go that long. A week is fine but not beyond that, in my own practices.
I've had my Gallardo for 8 years and it spends every night on a trickle-charger. Gallardo's are notorious for battery draining electronics, and even a slightly lower voltage will cause your dash to light-up like a Christmas tree! Keep it on a trickle-charger and your Lambo days will be better for it!

Registered
Assuming the battery is the correct CCA and size, etc. definitely follow others advice. I always put mine on a trickle charger. It's also probably been sitting for a while, so that could have weakened the battery. Remember that every time you start the car, you'd need to drive it upwards of 50 miles just to make up for what it took to start it. Most people don't, so you're barely charging it with the alternator.

Registered
If my car sits for more than a few days I just put in on the floating charger. The battery in my Aston Martin is now 10 years old. Its the original battery. It has always been on a floating charger and the damn thing wont die. I would not normally risk it but now I'm just curious to see how long it will actually last. At some point it will just die with no warning. I've had it happen a few times. Now when I take my Aston out I always carry a small booster just in case it dies so at least it will get me home to change the battery. In my G I change the battery every 2 years. I had one go bad and it messed up my egear so now I don't risk it. I just take the 2 yr old battery out of the G and use it for my boat or truck.

Registered
If my car sits for more than a few days I just put in on the floating charger. The battery in my Aston Martin is now 10 years old. Its the original battery. It has always been on a floating charger and the damn thing wont die. I would not normally risk it but now I'm just curious to see how long it will actually last. At some point it will just die with no warning. I've had it happen a few times. Now when I take my Aston out I always carry a small booster just in case it dies so at least it will get me home to change the battery. In my G I change the battery every 2 years. I had one go bad and it messed up my egear so now I don't risk it. I just take the 2 yr old battery out of the G and use it for my boat or truck.

Registered
The battery being drained if the car is idle for a while is well known, The problem bit me once and now I keep the battery tender attached when I'm not driving it. So what do dealers do when they have one on the showroom floor? It's hard for me to imagine that they have an extension cord running to the car.

Steve

Registered
Many dealers will have power outlets on the floor, under the car (this is for the showroom). For cars outside, they will manually top it off using a large portable charger. Also, many, many times, the battery will just die and they have to jumpstart it, in front of the customer, which I always find leaves a bad first impression.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts