Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So a few weeks back tried to start up G and battery was done. Charging didn’t help any; anyhow, decided to change out the battery. Other than the CD player wire, removing the tub was mostly straight forward.

So finding the correct battery has been, let’s say “inconsistent.” Searched this and other forums with no consensus as to which battery to install. The dealerships out here in the west coast seem to prefer Interstate group 34 or group 34r. This is a much smaller battery than the one I pulled out.

I’ve looked at other older posts most seem to have a general discussion, without model/cca/type, battery life, corrosion, venting, etc.

For those of you with any experience with a battery swap your opinions would be appreciated.
It was easier to choose a color than the battery for this car!
Paul

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I used group 34 Die Hard. Pretty much all batteries are the same, made by Johnson Control. Get a Group 34 with a 2 or 3 year full replacement warranty. Die hard GOLD is 3 years full replacement.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't get sucked in to those marine Blue/Red Tops, I think all they have is good advertising. Stick with a Standard Solid Battery that most Suppliers use OEM.

·
Vendor
23 Posts
The computer at Auto Zone/Advance stores will say it's a group 34. A group 65 is what you should go with. It's going to be very strong, and a similar footprint. It's not the exact size, but it's much closer than the 34 and will absolutely go right in.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
The dealerships out here in the west coast seem to prefer Interstate group 34 or group 34r. This is a much smaller battery than the one I pulled out.
Some random items:

I believe the current OEM battery is a Varta type 019 / G3 (blue dynamic) and measures 353 x 175 x 190.

At one point a FAAM 00G75 was used as OEM and measured 330 x 175 x 205

Both the Varta and FAAM are rated @ 760CCA and around 95/100Ah.

The group 34/34r is 260 x 173 x 200 ie nowhere close in length. Whats weird is that the Varta has the polarity of a 34r and the FAAM is more like the 34. Go figure.

I took a quick look and I can't find any BCI group measuring the OEM batteries. Group 48 and 93 seem close but... Another item to consider is correct venting.

All in all it looks like a dogs breakfast....

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I like Interstate, but when the time comes for a new battery for my 2006 G-car I will defer to Sarasota Lamborghini's recommendation.

To many potential issues to deal with, e.g. leakage, venting, size, power, amps, etc..

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
just looked online

die hard 34 has 685cca
die hard gold 34 has 840cca
die hard platinum 34 has 880cca

they don't sell 65 series.

840-880 cca is really strong. i don't mind a lighter battery as long as it delivers the power.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
So what's the verdict? The Die Hard 34 Platinum?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
What a timely thread. My G just left me stranded for the first time.

I have been feeling my crappy interstate cranking less and less in this "cold" weather. Yeah, right 45 f is not that cold, but alas, the battery has been suffering from a subacute case of the "weakies" as of late.

The dude who owned my car before me was most definitely NOT a car lover, for various reasons, this crappy battery being one of them.

I think I'll go with one of Djantive's recommendation of a high CCA battery.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Ok, I just pulled out my Interstate battery that only had 750 CCA. :mad:

I went to my local auto parts store and I looked for the Optima's and the DieHards.

The Optima's only had 740 or so CCA.

My local AutoParts (PepBoys) store had their brand (ProStart) that put out 850 CCA with a 2 year free replacement. They had an even MORE generic brand that had 720 CCA. I went with their brand of ProStart.

Once replaced, I went to start my Lamborghini and I've NEVER had such a powerful starting action. :whip:

The old interstate was a group 27 battery and my new one is a group 34. The newer one is about 20-30% smaller and lighter. Nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Sorry Ravill that I did not see your post sooner.

Interstate are absolute crap. Probably some of the worst batteries out there. The Interstate guy will even deliver it to the shop, because they are so cheap, and thus offer margins high enough to pay for delivery. Crap! You would likely agree?

Optima red top or an equivalent sprial-wound is the best choice BY FAR.

Why? Read my old post about it. Somewhere on here. I had a big writeup on it with lots of photo, proper battery size and hold-down choice.

34/78 with 800 CCA and no acid to spill out and eat your non-replaceable wiring harness. Only spiral-wound batteries should be used in this car. Full replacement warranty for a 3 years. Total 7 or 8 year warranty (in Canada). Best battery out there. Jeep guys use them for brutal offroading, and they do not fail.

Anything with free acid is BAD! That problem is compounded by the fact that you do not regularly look at the battery and clean the terminals.

It always amazes me that someone puts in a cheap battery in a $200,000 car....Not directed at you Ravill, bcause I like you, but just a general observation from the various battery posts on the various lambo forums. And at the guys who go out and buy an Interstate! :Slap:

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
the problem with the optima batteries is that they often require new brackets and hold down ties.

i have had good experience with interstate batteries. the cca and rc ratings are critical in choosing a battery. as a general rule, battery with less than 700 cca should be reserved for compact 4 cylinder cars.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Very good point Djantlive.

The Optima do require that you:

1. use one of the 2 sets of bracket adapters sold with the RETAIL version of the red-top Optima. There are 2 versions. The brackets are in the plastic lid.

2. You bend the metal front bracket that holds down the front of the Optima. This ensures that the clampdown bracket is tight on the Optima. I think I posted pics of the mofdified bracket on this forum somewhere. Here is is again.

BTW: No I do not work for Optima batteries. They work for me.

No messy car-eating acid, like with the Interstate. Here is just one example of a nasty, smelly Interstate.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I saw the Optima batteries at my Auto Parts store and I was not impressed with their CCA.

I didn't care about the price.

And results don't lie! My Lamoborghini turns over now, and starts, WAY better than it EVER has for me! :D

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Optima is 800 CCA! 800 or850 is tons of juice. The G would start fine with 500. It is about more than CCA.

The only reason your car now starts better is cause you are comparing a new battery to a dying one...

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Eye Doc and Ravill,
Carbuff is correct, there is a lot to look at when buying a battery. I don't know what years your Gallardos are, but we list a Group 25 RedTop as a direct-fit replacement for 2004-2007 model years. However, since **** mentioned correct venting, I do want to make sure anyone installing a battery in an enclosed location uses a battery that can be properly-vented to the outside air, if it is not located in the engine compartment. Our Group 25 RedTop does not have provisions for external venting, but our Group 27, 51, 78, 34C, 31 & DS46B24R batteries do have provisions for external venting. This protects you against toxic and flammable fumes, should the charging system overcharge your battery. Optima batteries are all sealed, which minimizes the risk of acid damage and they can even be mounted on their side if required. I know several of you have compared notes on cold cranking amps (CCA), but that is only a concern if you plan on driving your car somewhere very cold. As long as the cranking amps (CA) of your battery meet or exceed the OEM or engine requirements, you should be fine. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions about our products.
Thanks,
Bill Howell
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Hey Optima Bill!

I think you should send me a free Red Top for our incoming 2012 Gallardo, because of all the great publicity I am giving to the Optima brand on the various Lambo forums.... :)

I did a writeup on how to change to an Optima in the Gallardo also, with photos, so everyone could do it.

I really do want to change the OEM battery immediately when the car arrives. I do not want any free acid sloshing around. We even use the red-top in our offroad toys, and even our backup generator.

You say the group 25 is a replacement? With top terminals? What is the size of this vs. the 34/78 that I have been using in the Gallaro? And CCA vs the 34/78's 800?
I remember there being something funny about it, and believing that the 34/78 was the closest replacement for the metric batteries...And do you have to change the hold-down on the car, as I pictured above? Because you do, unless the adapters on the Group 25 are a better fit than on the 34/78.

BTW: the Gallardo battery is "outside". It sits on a frame cross-member, exposed to tons of fresh air. No need to vent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Carbuff,
While I would love to give you a free battery, sadly, Optima will not give me the keys to the warehouse..haha. However, you do have the option of submitting an application
I don't do the fitment studies for our batteries, so I'm not aware of any changes that might be needed for fitment, but our guide does list the Group 25 RedTop with top terminals as a replacement for the 2004-07 Gallardo. Here are the links to the specs on our RedTop and YellowTop batteries. While I can not recommend a specific battery for your 2012 without knowing the size or factory specs, with these links you should have no problem. One thing, remember that just because the external dimensions work, be sure the cca, ca, etc are correct.
Thanks again guys,
Bill Howell
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.