Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 superleggera, 2009 C63 , Superformance Cobra , evo 6:5 Tommi Mak , 1976 LX SS torana
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone what pads (part number would be lovely) is everyone running on the 380mm front rotor upgrade , as the depth required is bigger than OEM ...or are you just using oem size pads that don't meet the entire surface area of the bigger rotor?

thanks everyone

john

·
Registered
792 Posts
You have to use oem gallardo size pads. No one makes anything else and it is not generally a good idea to custom design something. People often complain on other applications when the pads are oversized and well below the brake calipers they were designed for.

·
Registered
2008 superleggera, 2009 C63 , Superformance Cobra , evo 6:5 Tommi Mak , 1976 LX SS torana
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
cheers TT for your input I appreciate that , def not an ideal scenario , i would have stuck with OEM size rotors had i researched that More accurately, it should still be ok for a few laps at a time but not good for sustained high temps ( the folks from competition friction in Australia have told me) as the rotor will have cooler and warmer areas

·
Registered
792 Posts
cheers TT for your input I appreciate that , def not an ideal scenario , i would have stuck with OEM size rotors had i researched that More accurately, it should still be ok for a few laps at a time but not good for sustained high temps ( the folks from competition friction in Australia have told me) as the rotor will have cooler and warmer areas
im not sure what these guys told you exactly but I’m not following. Running a 380mm rotor with the oem 8 piston gallardo calipers works amazingly! Nothing for you to worry about. If you are using a 380mm rotor, it would be a 2 piece rotor and in theory,it will cool much faster than the 365 rotor due to the lighter center, and the free floating design which is different than oem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers mate , they mentioned that the 380mm rotor has around 10mm more depth to its surface area than the oem rotor does 56mm (pad contact area ) oem 365 mm disc vs 66mm with the AP 380mm rotor , therefore there will be part of the rotor that the brake pad will make no contact with at all. Therefore this could cause cracking due to uneven heat in the rotor face .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cheers mate , they mentioned that the 380mm rotor has around 10mm more depth to its surface area than the oem rotor does 56mm (pad contact area ) oem 365 mm disc vs 66mm with the AP 380mm rotor , therefore there will be part of the rotor that the brake pad will make no contact with at all. Therefore this could cause cracking due to uneven heat in the rotor face .
I run 365mm two piece floating fronts so not an issue for me, however I know when you upgrade rotor diameter you need to use spacers on the hub mount bolts (and longer bolts) for the calipers. In a porsche these are called dog bones. In therory if you increase diameter by 15mm, you will need to have the rotors 7.5mm further out from the hub.
Does the "kit" include the bolts and spacers?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run 365mm two piece floating fronts so not an issue for me, however I know when you upgrade rotor diameter you need to use spacers on the hub mount bolts (and longer bolts) for the calipers. In a porsche these are called dog bones. In therory if you increase diameter by 15mm, you will need to have the rotors 7.5mm further out from the hub.
Does the "kit" include the bolts and spacers?
Hi Waz , yeah got spacers and longer bolts , perhaps there was some miss interpreting between myself and the local pad supplier . I have DS2500 pads so I’ll throw them in and go for a drive when allowed out ! cheers mate

·
Registered
243 Posts
I also run a 2008 LP520 Reiter Gallardo GT3 race car. It runs 380's on the front with standard calipers and it take standard sized pads; just indurance race specs. It has large diameter cooling ducts going direct onto the discs and it stops really well and can still out brake most much newer competitors.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also run a 2008 LP520 Reiter Gallardo GT3 race car. It runs 380's on the front with standard calipers and it take standard sized pads; just indurance race specs. It has large diameter cooling ducts going direct onto the discs and it stops really well and can still out brake most much newer competitors.
oh man that’s awesome! appreciate the wise words waz . That must be such a fun car to blast around in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts