Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Super-noob here. Just picked up a low-miles (8K) 2004 Gallardo and figured I'd fill 'er up with the good stuff on the way home. Hrm....I see the switch on the console that obviously is intended to open the fuel door, but it does nothing. Weather was crappy and I didn't want to spend a lot of time fiddling in the rain (yes, had to drive it home in the rain.....%^&*), but I'll check fuses in the AM. If NOT that, any suggestions on how else I can get that door open without a crowbar and a hammer so I can feed my baby? Any help genuinely appreciated! Great forum!

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Super-noob here. Just picked up a low-miles (8K) 2004 Gallardo and figured I'd fill 'er up with the good stuff on the way home. Hrm....I see the switch on the console that obviously is intended to open the fuel door, but it does nothing. Weather was crappy and I didn't want to spend a lot of time fiddling in the rain (yes, had to drive it home in the rain.....%^&*), but I'll check fuses in the AM. If NOT that, any suggestions on how else I can get that door open without a crowbar and a hammer so I can feed my baby? Any help genuinely appreciated! Great forum!
Hehehe. EVERYONE runs into this one. :)

You have to turn the ignition completely off first THEN press the button. Otherwise it won't let you open it. You'll hear it open.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
There is also an emergency (manual) release located on the passenger side, in the engine bay. It is an orange color lanyard.:)

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
NOT me...lambo salesguy made sure i knew about it before driving 360 miles back to LA :D
I saw Jeremy Clarkson have an issue with it on an episode of Top Gear so I made sure to check how to do it before the first fill-up :)

(Although it was staged or dubbed over on top gear because you can hear the mechanism work. They probably added it for emphasis to let us know he was pushing the button)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gentlemen - thank you SO much. I've never been so happy to feel so foolish! It works just fine - just needed to turn the car OFF! :)

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Gentlemen - thank you SO much. I've never been so happy to feel so foolish! It works just fine - just needed to turn the car OFF! :)
It's definitely weird. Not sure what the design reason is... Maybe to ensure no refilling while it's running and they made it to check ignition is fully off instead of engine is off...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It's definitely weird. Not sure what the design reason is... Maybe to ensure no refilling while it's running and they made it to check ignition is fully off instead of engine is off...
It's part of the design of the Evaporative Control System. The system is designed to control the release of fuel fumes into the atmosphere. A check engine lamp will illuminate when fumes are able to escape from the fuel cap; therefore the system does not want to throw a false alarm, which would be caused if the fuel cap was open whilst the engine is running. Nanny-stateness at it's finest !!

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
It's part of the design of the Evaporative Control System. The system is designed to control the release of fuel fumes into the atmosphere. A check engine lamp will illuminate when fumes are able to escape from the fuel cap; therefore the system does not want to throw a false alarm, which would be caused if the fuel cap was open whilst the engine is running. Nanny-stateness at it's finest !!
Right. The rub is that unlike most cars turning the engine off isn't enough on the G, the ignition needs to be fully off. Most people pull into the gas station and just turn off the engine, they don't turn the key all the way counterclockwise.

·
Registered
185 Posts
this design was made because most people who buy a lamborghini are broke after they get the car, gaz company's noticed lots of fillup and dash so lamborghini created this to resolve the gaz theft.... Telling you this company thinks of everything..

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
this design was made because most people who buy a lamborghini are broke after they get the car, gaz company's noticed lots of fillup and dash so lamborghini created this to resolve the gaz theft.... Telling you this company thinks of everything..

Those bastards!

·
Registered
37 Posts
its been 1 year i have my car and never knew i had a button for the gas cap!!! i was opening my cap with my credit card and always had hard time opening it and i never notice i had button for it on the console LOL!!! i just went to see it in my car right after i saw this post LOL i feel stupid now -__-

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts