Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be moving back to California with my 91 Diablo. What are people doing about front license plates on cars with no license plate mounts? Are you required to have them?

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Yes you are required to have them. The rule being you must mount as many plates as you are issued and they always issue two for a car. Don't know any Diablos out here with a front mounted plate :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well maybe I can just mount the two on top of each other in the back. :) My parents have told me the cameras are everywhere in my old town Rancho Cucamonga. Great reason to ride a harley no front plates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't bother mounting one until (if) you're stopped. The worst thing that can happen is a fix-it ticket, in which case you've lost nothing by waiting. I've driven around for 1 year without a front plate. I'd guess that about 1 out of 50 cars (total cars) in CA have no front plate.

The real bad news is that the CHP is going nuts with tickets on the freeways. I drove from Sacramento to LA and saw no less than 9 CHP on Hwy 5. A few years ago you'd go the whole way and see none. What's worse, they recently approved radar for freeway use, so they are all over the place now. Motorcycles hiding in the shade of underpasses, airplanes, and even low-profile almost completely unmarked white cruisers and white camaros. Northern CA is way worse for enforcement, but I noticed more and more in Southern CA too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sometimes when I get pulled over for a plate I let it go to collections and just pay the $700 fine. You don’t have to fix the problem if you pay them the $700. Its an expensive way to not put on the front plates

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Well as far as Washington State, we to are required tohave a front and rear plate. There is NO FIX IT TICKETS in Washington, just a first ticket for $87.00 bucks, second $154.00 bucks ans so on, they can tow your car on the 4th front plate violation. Also they can right it if its parked on a public street, not just driving it. I have had two, (on seperate cars), both when it was parked on the street, this of course is chicken po-po.

They are not a moving violation so it does not hurt your insurance, just a hasel. I WILL NOT put a plate on the front. The only reaseon they want a front plate is for their radar to hit a metal object for goiod reading. The new LASAR , the manufacture actulay trains them to aim at the plate for a good reading.

I recently got my dealers license. You are ONLY required to have ONE REAR plate with a dealer, however I loose having my cool personalized plates on it. Also I get a lot of people asking where is your dealership?

No matter what we get the short end of the stick.

RoyToy 2003 Seattle, WA :evil: :mad:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hello co-members,

This may be a loop hole and I can not guarantee its success, yet the loophole seems valid to me.

1 - Yes, "if the DMV issues two plates, one must display two plates, one front and one rear".

2 - California also offers personalized plates and when ordering a personalized plate the form asks if you want one or two plates sent.

3 - So the code is flawed, order one plate!

The Cal vehicle code sections about this are in 5200 to 5206

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Kenny94945 said:
2 - California also offers personalized plates and when ordering a personalized plate the form asks if you want one or two plates sent.
The bit about "how many plates" is under the section "for replacement only" (of the personalized plates).

-mick

"5. FOR REPLACEMENT ONLY I NEED: One Plate Two Plates
Lost Mutilated Stolen
If both personalized plates were lost or stolen, the same plate cannot be reissued. You may make another choice in Section 2."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Being a former resident of Rancho Cucamonga for many years and still a visitor on a regular basis I can tell you I have no front plates on my cars and have never yet had a problem with it. Most cops there are pretty cool with it especially with a Lambo. Go for it.

·
Administrator
5,166 Posts
Since were on the subject, how many would use a licence plate frame with the Lamborghini-TALK.com script on it? Appreciate feed back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have never had a problem. I live right by the police station, and drive right through all the police coming and going whenever I leave my house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts