Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buddy Ben aka 215mph made this chin protector against scrapes..its great..can wait till its done..

Thanks Ben

·
Registered
91 Posts
Adam,

Thanks, your going to love it when it's installed. Thanks for posting the pics and the support.

Regards, :)
Ben

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
polished aluminum and then painted to color match

wiz357 said:
What is that made out of?

polished aluminum and then painted to color match

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Would you post a picture of it on the car?

Aluminum is not usually polished then painted. Polishing actually hampers the cohesion of the paint. Aluminum needs to be treated before paint. Like the front fenders of your car. I think black would be a universal color that would look nice.

It looks like it it is held on with adhesive tape. Is this correct?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello,

For Adams 91 Diablo, I took a sheet of Aluminum laser cut it to the shape disired, scuffed the surface and primed. The picture which Adam was kind enough to post is the pieces primed. I will paint it now with factor PPG White to match his car.

Once ready to install it will go on with industrial strenght double back tape and 3 screws for extra security. We plan to show pics of the peice installed when complete.

Hope this answers your question. I look forward to Adam's candid feedback when complete.

Thanks Again Adam,
BR :wave:

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Laser cutting aluminum?

Ben,
Thanks.

Who is doing the laser cutting? I have industrial lasers. We cut wood, steel, lexan, polypropaline, and even .25 stainless. However, we cannot cut aluminum. It reflects the laser beam and also melts while cutting. We use CNC routers, waterjet, or saws to cut aluminum. I am not aware of anyone in NY that could do this. I would love to find out more information about who is laser cutting aluminum. Cutting it with a laser would be faster and more accurate than a saw. I could cut the pieces for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
want it to blend

91lamborestor said:
Would you post a picture of it on the car?

Aluminum is not usually polished then painted. Polishing actually hampers the cohesion of the paint. Aluminum needs to be treated before paint. Like the front fenders of your car. I think black would be a universal color that would look nice.

It looks like it it is held on with adhesive tape. Is this correct?
The reason Im doing white is that I dont want to bring attention to it..I want it to blend..If it were carbon Fiber that would be different..I think since it only protudes 1' its better this way ..

Adam

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's not really clear to me how this will protect the front spoiler. Putting a layer of hard metal between the ground and the carbon fiber spoiler will still transfer the force up to the spoiler and crack it. What is needed is a cushion or spring to absorb the impact and shift the force somehow away from the spoiler. Also I worry it will get scraped off and be left hanging after a scratch/bump.
I use a few layers of 3M "helicopter tape" on mine. It’s a tape used to protect the front surfaces of helicopter blades in sandy environments. It's quite durable and absorbs some impact. It’s transparent and peels off when you want to replace it. However it's still not a great solution.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think your missing the point

monahan_z said:
It's not really clear to me how this will protect the front spoiler. Putting a layer of hard metal between the ground and the carbon fiber spoiler will still transfer the force up to the spoiler and crack it. What is needed is a cushion or spring to absorb the impact and shift the force somehow away from the spoiler. Also I worry it will get scraped off and be left hanging after a scratch/bump.
I use a few layers of 3M "helicopter tape" on mine. It’s a tape used to protect the front surfaces of helicopter blades in sandy environments. It's quite durable and absorbs some impact. It’s transparent and peels off when you want to replace it. However it's still not a great solution.
Its not meant to absorb hard impacts..Just for when you pull in or out of driveways where clearences are marginal..Its designed for when you rolling out slowly and want to avoid scraping and chipping at slow rolling speeds..not for hard impacts to act like a shock absorber..

·
Registered
5 Posts
It will work

I had something simliliar made for my Ferrari Testarossa years ago...I called it a horseshoe...but it saved the front fiberglass air dam from chipping up when going in or out of a driveway. Mine was painted black to match the air dam on my TR.
Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
here are the finished pics..Amazing!

Love the way the chin protector came out...Just Beautiful..
Thanks Ben

·
Registered
91 Posts
Adam,

Thanks for posting the pics for all to see.
If anyone would like to purchase, they are ready to go just drop me a line at [email protected] or just call me at 516 867 0917. I will be glad to answer any questions. They will be sent primed with 3m double back tape.

I am selling them at $500 each plus shipping.

Thanks again Adam, and enjoy in good health.

Ben :wave:

·
Registered
13 Posts
sounds like there are some ingenious types up here in the ether, and i guess that's no surprise ... so try this one on for size...especially all you guys who got your first lamborghini right after you scored a drivers license :)

when i complained to my sales guy about my conscientious but unsuccessful attempts to avoid scuffing the underside of the leading edge he said he wished somebody could come up with a way to adhere a layer of that teflon-type stuff that goes on the heel plates of skateboards.

although skateboards didn't have teflon heel plates when i was a lad, i grasp the concept. somebody please figure out a way to do it and get back to me. i'm one of the old guys, so i'll need an answer soon ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Spoiler protector on Ebay (last hours)

Hello,

Heads up a few last hours to place a bid on the Diablo Spoiler Protector on ebay.

Thanks
Ben :wave:

·
Registered
25 Posts
old thread bump but does anyone where I can purchase a similar type of protector for a gallardo? The front scrapes when I get in my driveway and I cant do anything to the driveway since I live in a condo

·
Registered
2 Posts
when i complained to my sales guy about my conscientious but unsuccessful attempts to avoid scuffing the underside of the leading edge he said he wished somebody could come up with a way to adhere a layer of that teflon-type stuff that goes on the heel plates of skateboards.

Somebody please figure out a way to do it and get back to me. i'm one of the old guys, so i'll need an answer soon ;)
Ah, yes. If nothing sticks to teflon, how does teflon stick to the front spolier?

You can etch PTFE (teflon) with a sodium ammonia or sodium naphthalene etching solution. This will chemically modify the surface so that it can be bonded to various substrates using ordinary commercial grade epoxy (not the 5 minute epoxy from the dollar store.)

Fluoro-Plastics in Philadelphia offers sheets of bondable PTFE, and will do custom etching if you need it. You can find them at: Fluoro-Plastics.

Good luck!:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts