• Very sparingly

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Used the FAL for the first time today. Several times. Had to negotiate steep driveways and parking lots. Worked like a charm. I did cringe each time I used it, though. Thought I was chipping away at the longevity of the hydraulic system. Was chatting with a Roadster owner today who told me I should use it every time I drive it. Just be sure to never leave it in the elevated position to decompress the high pressure system.

So, what say y'all? Use it once in a blue moon or like the rest of the car, use it or it'll go to sh*t? Or will it crap out eventually, regardless of what I do?

To be clear, I'm referring to Diablo's in particular, not modern era Lamborghini's.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Used the FAL for the first time today. Several times. Had to negotiate steep driveways and parking lots. Worked like a charm. I did cringe each time I used it, though. Thought I was chipping away at the longevity of the hydraulic system. Was chatting with a Roadster owner today who told me I should use it every time I drive it. Just be sure to never leave it in the elevated position to decompress the high pressure system.

So, what say y'all? Use it once in a blue moon or like the rest of the car, use it or it'll go to sh*t? Or will it crap out eventually, regardless of what I do?
I use it for my driveway. So whenever I drive I use it at least twice. My philosophy is a car is like the human body. If you don’t use it, things start stiffening up and when you need to perform, you break something.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
6,547 Posts
I use it every time I take any sports cars out of my driveway X2. My driveway is steep and its either that or godawful scrapping. I don't think twice about using it, and in fact, if a sports car doesn't have it I don't even consider it as a possible acquisition.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use it every drive as well...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should specify that I'm speaking about Diablo's in particular. The suspension on these cars are not exactly known to be 'hearty'. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a modern Lambo either.

·
Registered
LP640
2,269 Posts
I used it on my early Murci (2003) with basically the same Koni suspension as late Diablos every time I drove it (and it was my only car for a year). Zero issues. Failures are possible, but uncommon.

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
OP asks a good question....where o where are all the Diablo owners?????

Reactions: bonehead

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used it on my early Murci (2003) with basically the same Koni suspension as late Diablos every time I drove it (and it was my only car for a year). Zero issues. Failures are possible, but uncommon.
Good to hear. Hopefully it's just the skewed forum population that makes it seem that failures are more common than they actually are. That being said, one of my front and one rear shock were replaced and all were serviced back in 2012.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,328 Posts
Diablo owner here. I use it occasionally but not every drive. The rest of the posts I see above remind me I should use it every drive just to keep that system working.

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
A few things about the front axle lift not intended for experienced supercar owners like on this thread but for Newbie’s like myself: never leave it in the up position for extended periods of time, if you have the car transported make sure after the vehicle is loaded it is placed in the down position, and if you’re washing the car don’t raise it while doing the wash to get in all the wheel well nooks and crannies. In the past, I have raised it during a wash and left it up for the entire time of the wash and dry then heard a creaking sound when lowering it, maybe washed away some of the lubricant(?) on exposed surfaces, well, in any event I no longer do that. FWIW.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I remember Rob Dahm (01 VT) mentioning that his would rise slowly before falling back down so he never used it around the time he got it. I should ask if he does lately because he's gone through a ton of repairs since then.
Mark Ferguson (99 VT) uses it probably every trip because of his driveway.

Feel free to discredit me since I don't have one, but I vote with the others in using it whenever necessary. Treat is like other components; it's going to need service eventually regardless, but exercising it is actually better than not using.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The front lift system for the Diablo is provided power steering fluid from the same reservoir as the power steering unit. It should be used on a frequent bases to exercise the components as well as keep[in the fluid flowing back and forth. The shocks are approx 1800 lbs of pressure win up. DO NOT leave them in the up position if not in use. As far as the description of going up slowly and then coming right back down.... thats most likely from to the high limit or low limit sensors going bad. The sensors advise when to stop pumping fluid when it hits the required raised point as well as the lower point to let fluid flow. More importantly you should exercise the electronic suspension system 1-2-3-4 back and forth a few times....this keeps the shocks adjustment working as well..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts