Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time today I got the "Rear Camera Inoperative" error because it was frosty cold this morning. Unbeknownst to me my ML was directly behind me outside and it's usually never there. It's always parked on the other side. One of the kids had moved it. I don't know how I didn't notice it when I opened the garage door.

I started to backup like I've always done while looking at the camera error. By chance I glanced in the sideview mirror and saw my ML. Luckily I didn't crunch into it. I knew it was close and it was, at about four inches. Would have definitely ruined the day.

Lesson learned: Don't assume you're in the clear without looking first.
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Grille

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
18,845 Posts
OMG! I almost did the same thing and stopped in the nick of time. I was counting my blessings, could have ruined a perfect day!

·
Registered
SL #7007
497 Posts
That’s a ****ty feeling but at least nothing happened! Complacency kills……

·
Premium Member
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder X2, STO (inbound), Ferrari 458 Spyder,
590 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I've almost brushed up against something or another car. Never a good feeling for sure. Good thing you happened to look.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've actually done that exact same thing. That'll make you sick to your stomach quick- good thing lesson learned with no damage. I always double check now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Close!
Question though.....is your garage not insulated?? If it was parked in the garage, how was it cold enough to get the "rear camera inopporative" message? At what temps does it not work?!

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was 50 degrees plus in the garage this morning and it's been colder and I didn't get that error before. I'm familiar with it because I had it several times in my 580. Need to go in for the software update. Garage is insulated but not the doors. I live 105 miles north of Las Vegas so the temps here pretty much mirror Vegas give or take a few degrees. For example if it's 115 in Vegas then it's 112 or so here. So not terribly cold in the winter here. When it comes to issues like these it seems a Lambo will do whatever it wants and whenever it wants.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Close shave. I have a 4 year-old and there's always people walking in my neighborhood so I take a quick glance before backing out.

A kid on an electric skateboard came right in front of my crib gawking at Haley today as we were getting ready to go to a Christmas symphony concert in the Merc.

Sketchy thing about these electric skateboards and scooters which are becoming popular here is they make no noise.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For the first time today I got the "Rear Camera Inoperative" error because it was frosty cold this morning. Unbeknownst to me my ML was directly behind me outside and it's usually never there. It's always parked on the other side. One of the kids had moved it. I don't know how I didn't notice it when I opened the garage door.

I started to backup like I've always done while looking at the camera error. By chance I glanced in the sideview mirror and saw my ML. Luckily I didn't crunch into it. I knew it was close and it was, at about four inches. Would have definitely ruined the day.

Lesson learned: Don't assume you're in the clear without looking first.
View attachment 304457
That would have been a bad day … ooof

·
Registered
269 Posts
One thing that I got used to moving to where I live now is reverse park. It was annoying at first as used to the American way but after awhile appreciate this method which would help avoid some of these issues.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Always open the garage door with the foyer door opener. That way, you can view the exit path as you approach the car. All to often we hop into the car and use the door opener from within the car. Bad habit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
One more reason that the modern toys of 2020s should come with ADAS and that should include park distance control with brake intervention.

costs less than the bumper.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
That’s happened to me before and I’ve learned my lesson, probably twice over!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Getting lucky is always nice. Thank you kid for finding a gaping hole in the process, reward him/hir :) Define a procedure for taking the car out and always follow it to the tee.
For example :
1) Inspect the space around the car. Clear all objects that should not be there
2) Check the tires.
3) Always open the door slowly with your hand or body the cushion between the door and the other car in the garage. Putting a ding in the car is much more serious then getting a bruise on the hand. Heck the bruise on the hand will heal on its on in a few days. On the other hand a ding in the door can cause alot of head aches. :)
4) On the road be prepared for gawkers, admirers and plain ass (center of a doughnut).
5) Avoid driving the baby through the rougher sides of town.
6) Always be vigilant.

Now some of you might not agree but believe me once you get into the habit of following the procedure it is easy and avoids lots of issues.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Getting lucky is always nice. Thank you kid for finding a gaping hole in the process, reward him/hir :) Define a procedure for taking the car out and always follow it to the tee.
For example :
1) Inspect the space around the car. Clear all objects that should not be there
2) Check the tires.
3) Always open the door slowly with your hand or body the cushion between the door and the other car in the garage. Putting a ding in the car is much more serious then getting a bruise on the hand. Heck the bruise on the hand will heal on its on in a few days. On the other hand a ding in the door can cause alot of head aches. :)
4) On the road be prepared for gawkers, admirers and plain ass (center of a doughnut).
5) Avoid driving the baby through the rougher sides of town.
6) Always be vigilant.

Now some of you might not agree but believe me once you get into the habit of following the procedure it is easy and avoids lots of issues.
Good points, i also Check tire pressure

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,597 Posts
You learned your lesson with absolutely no damage to people pets or vehicle so that is a very good day. Glad you posted it for everyone else to learn as well. You’d be pissed if it was a small scratch on your bumper but imagine if that was a child trying to get his ball out from underneath the front of your Mercedes. A good lesson indeed!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts