Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diablo tire sizes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We seem to have gone through this a few times. The 235/35ZR18s are not available in Rossos. The Pirelli recommended fronts are the Giallo's.

-mick

Mick: Where do they list the Giallo tire? I cannot find it on Tire Rack. Also, even though it would be the same size as the Rosso, 235/35/zr18, would it not have a different tire pattern from the rear "Rosso's" and is that not something to avoid? Mixing of tread patterns front and rear? thanks for the advise.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
speed2 said:
Where do they list the Giallo tire? I cannot find it on Tire Rack. Also, even though it would be the same size as the Rosso, 235/35/zr18, would it not have a different tire pattern from the rear "Rosso's" and is that not something to avoid? Mixing of tread patterns front and rear? thanks for the advise.
I was told Tire Rack has em. Here is a list of sizes I found during a quick search:

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Pirelli&tiremodel=P-Zero+Giallo.

You would be looking for the Pirelli P-Zero Giallo Asimmetrico (IP code 0825300). Mixing tread patterns on the same axle must be avoided. Its a crappy deal with Pirelli and our sizes right now as you can't get a complete "system" from them. But I would suggest that the Pirelli recommended Giallo/Rosso combo is better than messing with the wrong sizes.

If I remember the story correctly, your fonts are ok but you have one damaged rear and you don't have a VT?? If it was my car I would be just replacing the rears at this time.

-mick

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mick: If I understand you correctly I could put the 335/30zr18 ROSSO's on the back. ( two of them ) and just keep the original P Zero 235/35zr18 on the front. Is that correct? What effect do you think the different tread pattern might have?

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
speed2 said:
If I understand you correctly I could put the 335/30zr18 ROSSO's on the back. ( two of them ) and just keep the original P Zero 235/35zr18 on the front. Is that correct?
yes - thats correct and what I would do (Assuming the fronts aren't that old or worn).

speed2 said:
What effect do you think the different tread pattern might have?
I would suggest nothing negative and they are all ultra high performance tires with similar compounds etc.

How do you use the car? Anything extreme like track work etc?

-mick

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mick: The front tires are in excellent condition and,as you know, are still available from Pirelli. I do NO track work with the car. Just basicly cruise around and burn up gas at a prodigious rate. I still do not understand why Pirelli has stopped making the 335/30ZR18, a tire that was still in use just a few short years ago and now, due to coming out of production has caused this problem for us and worse for the guys with the VT model. I think there is a Federal requirement ( US ) that manufactures continue to supply certain parts for X amount of years once they start supplying them. However with Pirelli an Italian company, they are obviously not bound by any such requirement. Even if the plan was for Pirelli to force us guys to buy the new and improved "Rosso", as you pointed out they do not make the front tire size we need in a "Rosso"! So we are left to mis match treads.
Thanks very much for your input. I will be going to the local Lambo dealer Wednsday and see what else the parts manager comes up with.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
speed2 said:
Hi Mick: The front tires are in excellent condition and,as you know, are still available from Pirelli..
Its unclear to me if the 235/35ZR18 original Asimmetricos are still being made - it maybe just old stock... I think this is why the Giallo is the recommended replacement -ie more in line with the Rosso performance.

speed2 said:
I think there is a Federal requirement ( US ) that manufactures continue to supply certain parts for X amount of years once they start supplying them.
You will find that the original Asimmetricos were produced for many many years.

speed2 said:
So we are left to mis match treads.
I think you are overly concerned. Note that "mismatched" treads on high performance bikes are nearly required. The demands of front tires are very different from rears. Getting tires of the correct size, speed rating, matching performance (tread design / construction / compounds), balanced properly (amazing how many poeople can't do this properly) and even correct inflation (totally overlooked/abused by many people) should be much bigger concerns.

-mick

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mick: You are probably right on the front tires. I just assumed that they were still being produced but when I asked the dealer to check the manufacture date on the tire (required by Federal Law) the tires he had in stock were 2 year old. New old stock. Maybe I should buy one of these for a backup just n case they also dissapear. Thanks again. I will try not to worry too much if I eventually have to do a mismatch on the tread down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.