Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Click here to see what's happening

This car has a brand new starter so I'm a little bummed. I drove it all day today and took it to meets etc. Drove an hour back home and parked it on the first floor of the parking garage (in a hurry and intended to move it later). Now, the starter won't engage. It is 100% free spinning, and just not hooking to the motor I guess. Anyone experience this? Am I going to be jacking it up in the parking space and swapping the starter out? 馃槩

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fixed yesterday. Lightly tapped on the starter solenoid with a hammer yesterday. Going to see today if its stuck again. If it is, new starter time I suppose. Main concern was moving the car to a safe area where I can change the starter out if need be.

Registered
Hitting it with a hammer, now that's old school. Seriously though, is there some place near you could rent time on a lift. I would be very reluctant to climb under a car on jackstands in a parking lot. You never know when someone will just bump it with their car/truck and you are a pancake.

Registered
I watched your video, finally, it is not the solenoid, it's the bendix that's not working. If the starter is turning, it's getting power, that's what the solenoid does. The bendix drives the starter gear onto the flywheel. Still, you have to replace the starter. You can also rebuild the starter or get a rebuilt one but I have no idea the cost on a Lamborghini.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I watched your video, finally, it is not the solenoid, it's the bendix that's not working. If the starter is turning, it's getting power, that's what the solenoid does. The bendix drives the starter gear onto the flywheel. Still, you have to replace the starter. You can also rebuild the starter or get a rebuilt one but I have no idea the cost on a Lamborghini.
interesting, I was under the impression that it was the solenoid. I鈥檒l look into the bendix. Shame its a brand new starter... going to check the receipt for it and track the manufacturer down for a warranty. Otherwise I鈥檒l just get a bosch/reman starter for $130. The car is backed against a wall in a parking garage on one of the very top floors where no other cars venture, and its flat ground so shouldn鈥檛 have to worry about traffic coming through. I鈥檝e thought a lot about lift renting though; just a matter of whether the car will start next time in order to get the car out of the garage and drive to a lift!

Registered
Since it's new, I should hope it's under warranty the problem is you still have to climb under the car and change it. $130, that's cheaper than I would have thought. An average starter is around $70.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since it's new, I should hope it's under warranty the problem is you still have to climb under the car and change it. $130, that's cheaper than I would have thought. An average starter is around $70.
Cross referenced the p/n and on scuderia parts a "lamborghini" starter is $414. In reality, the p/n is also a jetta tdi starter, and is $130. The beauty of the audi/vw link with these cars.

Registered
Fixed yesterday. Lightly tapped on the starter solenoid with a hammer yesterday. Going to see today if its stuck again. If it is, new starter time I suppose. Main concern was moving the car to a safe area where I can change the starter out if need be.
Bought a new starter from these guys recently for my 04 gallardo and it all went smoothly. Didn鈥檛 realise starter motor sound could sound so much better either:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought a new starter from these guys recently for my 04 gallardo and it all went smoothly. Didn鈥檛 realise starter motor sound could sound so much better either:

The one in my car sounds super strong and fast when it works! Just a matter of when it works... I'll see. I found a jetta starter for $120. May try that out :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How I Fixed My Starter - Video

Check out the above video describing the technical process of hitting the starter with a hammer 馃榿

I should note, the hammer trick worked to start the car and move it. I was eager in the warm weather to cruise the car, and tried my luck. It spun freely again today, and second attempt it started up. I do in fact need a new starter motor. This should only be used to move the car to a safe location. Pic of the car for good measure; I f***ing love this car.

Registered
Back when I had Porsche's, I would always look for the equivalent VW part. The problem was a lot of the parts wre unique to Porsche. '76 930 fuel pump's for example. yikes

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

update: went to a car meet. Car wouldnt even attempt to start. No clicking, no nothing. Tried jumping in case voltage was a problem but no luck. Fuses were fine as well.

Registered
Now that sounds like the solenoid or could be a loose wire. Is this the new starter? The solenoid makes the clicking noise. Since you have no noise, either it is not getting power or it isn't working. I have never seen a Lamborghini starter so I assume it is like most starters. You can jump across the two poles(with the key on) with a screw driver or a heavy guage wire and see if it works.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that sounds like the solenoid or could be a loose wire. Is this the new starter? The solenoid makes the clicking noise. Since you have no noise, either it is not getting power or it isn't working. I have never seen a Lamborghini starter so I assume it is like most starters. You can jump across the two poles(with the key on) with a screw driver or a heavy guage wire and see if it works.
Hoping so bad it's a simple loose wire. I'll keep this thread updated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts