Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reviewed this forum but not every thread has a resolution to the question. Personally, I feel there is probably much better information here then what I will get at a used car dealer.

About me: SoCal Resident, not an owner yet, not looking to track or race the car, no need for a high hp version, happy with something that looks great, makes a little noise, and will be fun to drive around town.

Here are my top 5 questions:
1) What year is the first acceptable year for a Gallardo Convertible? Something that isn't plagued with issues.

2) Is the egear reliable? I live in SoCal and sit in a lot of traffic, I would prefer something smooth shifting and that won't burn up.

3) Where do I find out if what I am paying for a used car is a good price? I am not here to debate the car down to the last penny, I just don't want to pay 150K if the real value is 125K. I just have absolutely no clue what these are worth used, nor where to look, or who to trust. Dealer, broker, ebay?

4) How much do these cost to maintain per 10,000 miles over 1 year? Just a ball park, I don't expect it to be the same price as a Toyota. I know some cars are high like a Ferrari; other are 'relatively' cheap like a Porsche. What should I expect. (Note: I know it's based on an Audi, but the A4 is a great car, and the A8 no so much.) I just want to be prepared - I can afford it - but at some point - the fun ends if the car is always after your wallet.

5) Where can I find a Lamborghini event in SoCal? I would like to ask some questions in person.

Note: If there is a noob thread with all of these already answered, please direct me and close the thread.

·
Registered
210 Posts
1. If you want to "race" or "track the car" you shouldnt get a convertable. Also a lambo isnt a track / race type of car. It is very expensive to maintain and youd be much better with a viper, vette, or lotus as a track car as they would be much cheaper to maintain. I highly would recommend AGAINST a gallardo as a track car if this was your only "exotic". It would be different if you had 10 of them and money wasnt an object, but it is based on your post. Get a lambo, but its not a track car. Get a cheap 911, caymen S, or cheap viper if you want a track car.

2. the egear is somewhat reliable. However clutches on egears or even stick shifts average about only 15,000 miles before they need to be replaced, this isnt a porsche. Porsches and vipers are bulletproof compared to these cars.

3. look on autotrader.com and dupontregistry.com for prices

4. these cars are very expensive to maintain when comparing them to porsches, vipers, vettes or anything like that. I know I've owned them all.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
I think you misread a bit of what he said...

The maintenance costs have been covered to death numerous times, it can vary wildly depending on whether you're a DIY guy or will swallow anything a dealer tries to sell you (and anywhere in between). Personally I DIY it all and end up at about 60cents per mile once you average everything in. This includes an average of rarer big ticket items so some years it'll be $300 and others $8000. Manual vs egear especially in traffic has also been covered extensively, search a bit.

Spyders started in 2006, any one of those is fine. Heck I'd argue that there was never really a bad one made. Whatever quirks the earlier cars had (before the spyder even existed) have long since been voluntarily fixed.

For price I would just do my homework on the various sites. Honestly it sounds like you need to do some more homework period (no offence, but get yourself educated and you'll be a lot more confident about the car and the purchase. Just go through the last few pages (or more) of threads and you'll see many of these topics discussed.

Many SoCal owners here, cars & coffee events you could stop by, etc.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
155 Posts
+1 on what gvan said.

If you live in the OC then go to Lambo Newport or Eurocar. Sizeable inventory and you'll get to test drive a few (esp if you have your cash/financing in order) and they know you are serious.

Don't be afraid to search Autotrader around the entire country for the car/deal you want. It will cost you about $2K to ship the car.

As far as egear:
Spyder + manual = most fun
Spyder + egear = hell of alot of fun
Spyder + egear + traffic = not as much fun
IMO if you're going to drive in daily rush hour then buy a Porsche, etc or consider the '09+ 560LP egear.

Come out to the Cars and Coffee most any Saturday morning and you are likely to find 5 - 10 of us there. And we DO like talking about our cars.:D

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
call roy catz! He has helped an endless amount of forum members and can find you the Gem you want. I have never personally dealt with him and I have no affiliation but if you do a quick search there are thread upon thread of satsfied customers

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the feedback. I did sort the threads by number of views and replies and found many of the questions I had.

As mentioned I may be a Porsche candidate for the way I am going to drive the car as a daily driver. I would likely be happy with a 911 C2S as it's a great car. But there is still something very alluring about the Gallardo that I don't see when looking at a 911.

I'll have to go to a Cars and Coffee event.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
No doubt about it a C2S (Best bang for buck porsche if buying used IMHO) is a better DD and frankly one day I'd like to have one, tune it and strip it a bit to get it to near GT3 specs (GT3's don't get driven so they don't depreciate to within my budget) just for it's handling characteristics. But there's just no way it could replace the G.

For the same money as a 997 I'd rather get a G and have a cheap second hand daily driver. The G more than makes up for it and no one's going to give you flack for driving a 5 year old Accord or Jetta when they know you have the bull in the garage.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts