Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my family to Europe for 3 weeks next year, starting in Rome and probably driving to Paris. The only place in Italy that my wife has put on the list so far is Venice. I'm keen to visit the Lamborghini factory, but she's not convinced it is worthwhile. (Actually, she's not too hot on my Gallardo either!)

Here's a question to those who have made the pilgrimage - is the factory easy to get to by rental car, and do they take visitors? Is it worth seeing or would we be better off visiting ( yet another) museum or cathedral? Would two girls (11 and 8) be bored to tears? Is Ferrari also worth a look? How long would it all take? etc etc...

Thanks in anticipation :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
The best ist to inform the factory through your dealer that you will come for a visit, then they will welcome you and will show you the whole factory with a guide.
The museum (where Countach #0001 is I arranged for them) is open every working day.
The factory itself is easy to find once your in St.Agata.
On Glen's Lambo-registry you can find the map, but buy a map in Italy, there are many small roads and you will get lost soon...
The factory is where the 3 of the 23 is on the Map.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Raymond. I'll have satnav to help my find it.

How long did your guided tour take? Do they take groups at pre-determined times, or is each tour personalised?
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I'll tell you one thing, they're awful nice over there. My guess is that if you arrange ahead of time you'll be thrilled.

As for the factory, it's fantastic. It was a dream come true for me. But if you're asking if there are any rollercoasters or clowns or shows...I'm sure the little ones would be bored! :wave:

Fred
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Dear MHH, Is the Pope a Catholic? Fact: f course the Factory is worth a visit.
Bologna is also a great place for shoe shopping ( for the wife..). Fact:Yes your daughters will be bored. Fact:Forget Ferrari, they are so up themselves and the factory is second rate compared to the house of the raging bull.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Anthony -- great point. forgot the whole "shoe" thing. But heck, that can be EXPENSIVE! When you walk by a shop and they have 1 purse on a table, and that's it...man, you can bet that's an expensive purse! :eek:

Fred
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
541 Posts
mhh said:
I'm taking my family to Europe for 3 weeks next year, starting in Rome and probably driving to Paris. The only place in Italy that my wife has put on the list so far is Venice. I'm keen to visit the Lamborghini factory, but she's not convinced it is worthwhile. (Actually, she's not too hot on my Gallardo either!)

Here's a question to those who have made the pilgrimage - is the factory easy to get to by rental car, and do they take visitors? Is it worth seeing or would we be better off visiting ( yet another) museum or cathedral? Would two girls (11 and 8) be bored to tears? Is Ferrari also worth a look? How long would it all take? etc etc...

Thanks in anticipation :)
Just did a month in Europe last summer with the family.

Your wife might not mind the factory, but your girls would definitely get bored. Why not drop them off in Ferrara and take the factory tour. Ferrara is nice little town with shopping and site seeing for them to do. You could also do the same in Bologna. Or, you could leave them in Venice, and do the factory tour yourself. You could take the train from Venezia to Bologna in about 2 hours. Rent a car and drive yourself to the factory. he factory is a must for all Lambo owners and enthusiasts. As already suggested, have your dealer arrange your visit in advance.

If you plan to rent a car in Italy, be forewarned that parking is a headache almost in any Italian city. In Venice, you will have to park your car at Mestre(mainland), Tronchetto or the more expensive Piazzale Roma. Either way, you'd be better off returning your car to the rental agency and just renting a new one when you leave the city. You will have no use for a car in Venice. Stay in Venice at least 3-4 days to fully immerse in the magic of Venice. The best places to stay are Palazzo Bauer, Danielli and a boat ride away is Cipriani. In Rome, there are a lot more nice hotels, but my top choices are Hotel Russie, Excelsior, Eden and the small but very private, Lord Byron.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
541 Posts
Forgot to add, Maranello and Modena(not tours here) are not too far from Sant'Agata. It might be worth the side trip, only if you have the time. Of course, if you are an F fan, then that is a totally different story.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Raymond. I'll pass those hotel suggestions on to my wife right now. She's deep in Frommer at the moment! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Been lived in Venice (actually Treviso, 15 mins north of Venice by driving) for 16 months. Venice is a place you have to visit once...because once is enough and you don't want to go anymore...driving from Venice to Paris take at least 10 hours (i.e. more than 1100km). so why not take a flight from Venice Airport for Paris (i.e. 1 1/2 hrs flight time) to save some times and rent a car in Paris? you can do it in a relaxing way then...by the way, there is a Factory Outlet 40 mins drive from Venice Airport where you can buy half price fashion products from Dolce & Gabbana, Miu Miu...etc. If you want to know where, let me know...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
541 Posts
arionma said:
Been lived in Venice (actually Treviso, 15 mins north of Venice by driving) for 16 months. Venice is a place you have to visit once...because once is enough and you don't want to go anymore...driving from Venice to Paris take at least 10 hours (i.e. more than 1100km). so why not take a flight from Venice Airport for Paris (i.e. 1 1/2 hrs flight time) to save some times and rent a car in Paris? you can do it in a relaxing way then...by the way, there is a Factory Outlet 40 mins drive from Venice Airport where you can buy half price fashion products from Dolce & Gabbana, Miu Miu...etc. If you want to know where, let me know...
I have to disagree with Arion here. I love Venice. If I can only go every year, I would. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
mhh said:
Venice to Paris by car with the family - is this wise?
I don't think so it's about 700-800 miles, if I were you I would fly to Milano or Bologna and pick up a rental car there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
541 Posts
mhh said:
Venice to Paris by car with the family - is this wise?
It's nice to see the countryside, the Alps and other cities. Or if you really like to drive, you can do Venice-Bologna-Genoa-Monaco. A little out of your way to Paris, but might be worth your time. However, that is a lot of driving in a foreign land. Like Arion suggested, flying is an option. However, you should also consider taking the Eurail. Take a first class train to Milan from Venice, spend a day in Milan (shopping - makes wife happy) then take the night train to Paris (more shopping). You can reserve a private sleeper for your family. When you wake up in the morning, you'd be in Paris.

Recommended hotel in Paris - Ritz, George V, Athenee, and Crillon.

Damn, I sound like a travel agent. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
541 Posts
raymond said:
I don't think so it's about 700-800 miles, if I were you I would fly to Milano or Bologna and pick up a rental car there.
Raymond,

Arion said 1100km, which is about 690 miles. So you guys are both right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Raymond, sorry that you have disagreed with me about Venice...no doubt the place is nice but it's a rip-off for tourists...think about it, Euro 150 for a 30 mins gandola ride...and the food is expensive there...and not much to buy for home (forget the mask and the glasses...etc)...and the risk to be lost...I have never heard that people won't be lost in the city at least once... :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
541 Posts
arionma said:
Raymond, sorry that you have disagreed with me about Venice...no doubt the place is nice but it's a rip-off for tourists...think about it, Euro 150 for a 30 mins gandola ride...and the food is expensive there...and not much to buy for home (forget the mask and the glasses...etc)...and the risk to be lost...I have never heard that people won't be lost in the city at least once... :(
Disagreement is allowed. Name calling is not. It's not like we are going to resort to name calling. :)

All top tourist spots are rip-off. Soda in most European tourist distination is at least $3. In Monaco, in some places it's $7, and you can't even find a Dr. Pepper. :)

I don't know, to me part of the Venice mystique is getting lost in the city and discovering new sights to see. At least, you don't have to worry about a kamakazi Vespa trying to run you over, like in other Italian cities. :) What I absolutely hate is the crowd. Then again, there is always a way to avoid the crowd.

To get back to the original topic. I don't know who to contact to get a tour of Tonino Lamborghini's Museum. If you can arrange a visit, it is worthwhile for a Lambo owner and fan to see as well. Here are some pictures I took last year. http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=243
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
mhh,

If you're going to Sant Agata you really have to visit Bologna. Its really a beautiful city and i think your wife would love it.
Venice-Paris is not that far. I think you will drive about 4/5 hours to get there.
But if you're going to Paris, you have to visit Monaco and Nice. They have a lot of exotic car garages and if you're lucky you can see some on the road! Its a really good experience for car enthousiast.
Ive visit the Ferrari museum after i visited the Lamborghini museum. I was a bit disappointed in the Ferrari museum. There were so many people at it and the people who worked there werent really as nice to me as they were at Lamborghini. They had about 20 Ferrari's shown there including some formula 1 cars. At the Lamborghini museum there were also about 20 Lambo's. I couldnt visit the factory because im not an owner :(.
Im wondering if you can also visit the Pagani factory, which is just a few kilometres from Sant Agata. Ive never been there but i would be interested in visiting it next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I think we have a rocket here....venice to paris in 4-5 hours....I bet you'll never do that in your life...except by anything else but car.... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
When i went on vacation last year, i went from southern netherlands to southern french in 5 hours. Thats about the same distance from venice to paris :)
BTW i went with my BMW 318 ;), maybe that explains it :)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top