Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if factory PPF is full car or just front protection? Huracan specifically. It seems most think the factory job isn’t good but the comments appear anecdotal. If anyone has paid for factory PPF that was not satisfactory did your dealer take care of it? $3,300 vs $7k plus locally is quite a difference. I’d rather just go factory to start and then if I still have the car down the road have it redone at the local expense with full paint correction. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
7,886 Posts
There was a member that just took delivery of a new Urus a few weeks ago and choose to have the Factory do the PPF but had to have it removed and redone because of the poor quality.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
7,886 Posts
Pros and Cons of a factory installed PPF:

Pros
  • Convenience, protected from day one
Cons
  • Paint rarely comes from the factory that does not need at least minor paint correction
  • If it needs to be redone my PPF guy charges $90 an hour to remove
  • Paint damage is possible with removal though, unlikely
  • Can’t take it back to the factory installer if minor correction(s) or redo is needed
Interesting story, my first sports car was a brand new 2018 718 Cayman S I specced and took delivery of. I was new to sports cars and didn’t know much about PPFs or how much variance there is in the quality of the PPF installation. So, I asked members of the Porsche forum whether I should have the dealership installer do the PPF and I was cautioned by several people indicating that was inadvisable. In spite of those admonitions, I thought how bad could it be. Well, it was horrible with essentially all edges being non-adherent and there was even debris trapped under the PPF. I then brought this to the attention of the Porsche dealership and they had their guy redo it and I waited 2 weeks for simply a full frontal and rocker panel installation and on the second go around it was just as bad as the first effort plus I discovered 3 paint chips on the roof of the coupe on the driver’s side. I learned my lesson, namely, find a good local installer either one that was referred or with good reviews or both. I have since found someone that is impressive and he does all my PPFs now. My feeling is that the dealership installers and the factory installers are generally not your top tier installers.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My dealer had an Aventador S with factory PPF and the biggest flaw was the PPF did not extend to the edges whereas good aftermarket PPF installs will cover the entire body/panel.

The embossed Lambo logo in the PPF was a cool easter egg similar to Ferrari factory PPF.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a member that just took delivery of a new Urus a few weeks ago and choose to have the Factory do the PPF but had to have it removed and redone because of the poor quality.
Did the dealer take care of that or did they pay out of pocket? I’d put that on Lambo if it isn’t done right.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
7,886 Posts
Did the dealer take care of that or did they pay out of pocket? I’d put that on Lambo if it isn’t done right.
That I am not sure of but I suspect the dealership probably did the right thing. As a rule, I hate when people muck around with the car once but twice is once too many. Therefore, I make sure I only use a quality/skilled installer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought a 2019 huracan from the original owner and he had dealer do ppf and it was awful. Had to remove but at least it was protected.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought a 2019 huracan from the original owner and he had dealer do ppf and it was awful. Had to remove but at least it was protected.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I’d never let a dealer do it but the factory for less than half the price of local I’d certainly consider!!! And as @Lambo2018 mentioned if it’s wrong I’d expect the dealer to make it right, which means paying for a local to fix since they aren’t gonna ship it back to the factory.

·
Registered
2021 Huracan Evo RWD Spyder (ordered, April 2021 delivery)
352 Posts
Lamborghini Dallas did full PPF on my car and it is a very clean job.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
7,886 Posts
I’d never let a dealer do it but the factory for less than half the price of local I’d certainly consider!!! And as @Lambo2018 mentioned if it’s wrong I’d expect the dealer to make it right, which means paying for a local to fix since they aren’t gonna ship it back to the factory.
I see the Lamborghini clear film on the MY2022 option list is priced at $3,300. What brand of film do they use and is that full or partial coverage? Full front clip for $3,300 is not such a great deal. My local installer will charge $2,500 for full front clip, backs of mirrors and rocker panels.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see the Lamborghini clear film on the MY2022 option list is priced at $3,300. What brand of film do they use and is that full or partial coverage? Full front clip for $3,300 is not such a great deal. My local installer will charge $2,500 for full front clip, backs of mirrors and rocker panels.
You reiterated the initial question and doesn’t appear anybody knows which is surprising given all the members who have said the work isn’t acceptable - seems like someone should know. I’ll ask sales guys during my next call and report back.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
7,886 Posts
My understanding, based upon the Urus I spoke of that it was just the full front clip. I can't imagine the factory would do the whole vehicle for $3,300.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
7,886 Posts
@Rcasa20 , see post #5 and ask/PM said poster see what he thought of the quality of the factory PPF he had installed. Apparently, he does indicate it's a full front clip but the brand of film used is still a big question mark..........

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Rcasa20 , see post #5 and ask/PM said poster see what he thought of the quality of the factory PPF he had installed. Apparently, he does indicate it's a full front clip but the brand of film used is still a big question mark..........

I’ve emailed to find out coverage, brand, and warranty issues.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, they use 3M and it's only the front. The quality of 3M utilized sounded like it's not up to par with others. For that price I'll either go full front on my own or just do a full film.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
7,886 Posts
My installer uses Suntek Ultra and it looks amazing but invariably before long I discover a perforation. So, I wonder if XPEL would be tougher, and overall, provide better protection.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I picked up my Aston Martin, I asked the dealership about Full PPF and thankfully they were transparent. They indicated that the local installer produces sub quality work and they recommended that I use an independent shop.

There were installers closer to me, but I chose one 90 miles away that I knew did stellar work and had a great reputation. After minor paint correction, I had full XPEL on the entire vehicle followed by ceramic coating and window tinting. The Aston looked fabulous.

I debated between XPEL and SunTec and was advised that due to my requirements that the XPEL would be the better choice. XPEL is thicker and can absorb considerably more abuse (rocks, scratches etc) than SunTec which is thinner and known to tear.

My main concern was that both of our homes have long driveways (1/3 mile) and neither are paved. Our winter homes driveway is sand and I was concerned that the areas around the wheel wells would get sandblasted even though I only drive ~ 6 mph and therefore wanted thicker PPF. The summer homes driveway is covered in moss and pine needles which was less of a concern.

The most important factor is finding the absolute best installer you can, even if it means traveling and renting a car to get home.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
7,886 Posts
@Rcasa20, I had posed the question about the factory PPF to Lamborghini Customer Care and this is the response I received today:

1. The protective film is a dedicated material developed for Lamborghini painted the name of these material is Proteam.
2. Standard application covers front bumper, bonnet, front fenders, rockercovers and mirror caps.
3. 2 Years warranty.

Best regards,
Laura
Automobili Lamborghini America LLC.

US/LA-A
Customer Care America
2003 Edmund Halley Dr, Reston, VA 20191
[email protected]
www.lamborghini.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts