Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying one. Are there any differences between the model years? Which to buy/avoid?

Thanks

·
Registered
SL #7007
497 Posts
I’m not super knowledgeable in this field but the I was in the market a while back. When I was in the market I reached out to my good buddy owns a 599 GTO, and sold his F12 for an 812. Along with his Pista, Vantage, and DB5, he’s very knowledgeable in Ferrari‘s. I think he has owned 20 in his life time. The biggest words of advice he gave me wasnt related to a model but to any Ferrari that has a V12. He said to know that maintenance is very costly! The other thing he told me was to see if a major service was completed or not. If a service was not and if a major service was due, you could instantly be in the hole another $10k+.

So he talked me out of the market but I love Ferrari V12’s. His 599 GTO and his 812 are just nuts. Plus the sound of a Ferrari V12 is intoxicating! Sorry I couldn’t help more…

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! They are growing on me, and look great.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
A known issue is corrosion on the rear air grilles...basically there two disimiliar metal and the cause the paint to bubble up.
Also some complain regarding the tires..only use michelins.

·
Registered
2020 Huracan Evo AWD
36 Posts
A known issue is corrosion on the rear air grilles...basically there two disimiliar metal and the cause the paint to bubble up.
Also some complain regarding the tires..only use michelins.
I owned an F12, bought it new in model year 2015. Loved every minute in it - only sold it as I re-located in mid 2020. Had 7 year warranty still, so no issues with maintenance cost. The positives are great, I wish Ferrari didnt go the way of the 812 design wise (personal opinion). The negatives with the F12 to be fair are: The sticky button issues were super annoying, a known Ferrari issue - Car runs hot fast, I got a few times a ''hot engine' warning light and parked it to cool off, especially in traffic at hot weather - Battery tends to weaken fast and needs replacement faster then what I thought, even a new battery has the engine start up slow if started repeatedly within a couple of hours. Other then that, a great car and a classic, the sound is great especially for a Ferrari! Regards, Stephan

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I owned an F12, bought it new in model year 2015. Loved every minute in it - only sold it as I re-located in mid 2020. Had 7 year warranty still, so no issues with maintenance cost. The positives are great, I wish Ferrari didnt go the way of the 812 design wise (personal opinion). The negatives with the F12 to be fair are: The sticky button issues were super annoying, a known Ferrari issue - Car runs hot fast, I got a few times a ''hot engine' warning light and parked it to cool off, especially in traffic at hot weather - Battery tends to weaken fast and needs replacement faster then what I thought, even a new battery has the engine start up slow if started repeatedly within a couple of hours. Other then that, a great car and a classic, the sound is great especially for a Ferrari! Regards, Stephan
Yes to the battery problems because of heat...and the car is better looking then a 812.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2014 F12. I do not know any major differences between model years. Other than the corrosion at the rear grilles I am not aware of any major issues to look for. You might have the sticky buttons or shrinkage on the dash leather but that is true with anything. Yes on the Michelins that was the first thing I did when I got it. Also a real strong battery.

The maintenance costs have been minimal (I have put 3k miles on it in eight months for way of reference). I have tracked it and took it on extended rallies through the dessert (9 to 11 hour days basically at redline the entire time). Absolute beast of a car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does Ferrari dealer take care of the corrosion under warranty?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like a very minor issue that can be resolved for cheap.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
When you have warranty ferrari will repair paint work but if you buy through non dealer you are stuck to repair on your own.
Take a look

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a 2015 F12 for about 2 years. Wonderful car and practical. Tires are very important, the stock Pirellis are garbage, you must go with the MP4S' for noticeably better ride. For the coursing issue I had the grills removed and added a spacer to keep the grill from rubbing the body and that seemed to work well. Great car, the sound is incredible and good power. Dont turn ESC off with cold tires and you should be OK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts