Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone here into exotic animals as well? I've always been into so called "different" things. I like to have things that most don't find desired or reasonable for some reason. So I had a pet alligator delivered to me over night (actually it's a dwarf caiman, and only cost me 300 bucks). It's more of a hobby than a pet but its a lot of fun. He or she has grown to about 2 foot long now and is putting on some mass. Should top out at around 4-5 foot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
13,064 Posts
I'm sure my wife would draw the line here. Hope you keep any other pets you have safe!

Reactions: AzusilApps

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to raise snakes, boa constrictors and ball pythons primarily. Caimans were a bridge to far for me. Exotic pets are certainly cheaper than exotic cars. Careful with that caiman, had a buddy get 20+ stitches from his.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My wife has 2 pets that are kind of exotic. They are F2 Savannahs......so thier grandparent was an African Serval. I describe them as dogs with large cat bodies. They play fetch and like being by you, but they can jump over 7' in the air and have claws that could gut you in your sleep......which I am fairly sure they will do one of these days.
Here is one.....Lambo......yes, like what we have here. She said if she could get her, she'll name her Lambo to reminder her that I get a lambo too.......

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife has 2 pets that are kind of exotic. They are F2 Savannahs......so thier grandparent was an African Serval. I describe them as dogs with large cat bodies. They play fetch and like being by you, but they can jump over 7' in the air and have claws that could gut you in your sleep......which I am fairly sure they will do one of these days.
Here is one.....Lambo......yes, like what we have here. She said if she could get her, she'll name her Lambo to reminder her that I get a lambo too.......

REKIII that is really cool! I always wanted one of those but I'm allergic to cats unfortunately

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
How about a blue and gold macaw named Sibal? I helped hatch her back in June of 1991. The pic is from yesterday.

-mick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,064 Posts
Very cool Rekiii! What do feed them? I was going to say what do they eat but I guess it would be whatever they want, lol.

·
Registered
732 Posts
REKIII that is really cool! I always wanted one of those but I'm allergic to cats unfortunately
My wife is too. These have a different texture of fur and don't shed much. We've had people over to our house that are horribly allergic, without issues. We do keep our house very clean, but not ridiculously so. If you are interested, look into it some more. Might not be as big an issue as you think.

Very cool Rekiii! What do feed them? I was going to say what do they eat but I guess it would be whatever they want, lol.
Some hard core owners feed them an all raw diet, chicken, beef, etc, but then they have to give them vitamin supplements and what not. Since we have a young family and frankly do not have the time to do that, we get a very high end canned food recommended for them, the stuff looks better than some things I eat out of cans. They also have dry food out for whenever they want.
It's funny, the younger one is really skinny, but is hungry all the time. She'll wander the house meowing really loud until someone feeds her, outside the normal 2 feedings per day she gets even though she has access to dry food, she wants another can.

I'm not a cat guy, and I think they are pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
13,064 Posts
We have rats outdoors which is pretty common in Hawaii and we use Terminix rat control, but we have found that our neighbors cat does even a better job. I can only imagine your Savanahs would make short work of the problem, lol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
REKIII I have heard that they are some what hypoallergenic but never confirmed. I'll look more into that. Can you let them outdoors by themselves for any period of time or will there natural instincts come to and they run off? For instance can I lock them outside while I'm at work for the day. Sounds like the wife spoils the smaller one, lol.

·
Registered
732 Posts
A lot of people in warmer climates build 'runs' for them outside. Basically a caged in area outside that they can walk/run around in. They are probably like any other cat that if you let them out they will wander wherever they want and then return whenever they want.
We choose to keep ours indoors because a run isn't realistic in the northern climate. In the summer if we are out by the pool we let them out into the fenced in area, they could jump the fence but so far haven't.
If you were to get an F1 or actual Serval, an outdoor run is almost a necessity as they have a greater likelihood of not being litterbox train-able.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Plus aren't these guys like $5-$7 grand? Not sure you would want someone running off with one of them. My daughter would go bonkers over them. She loves anything exotic like that, but have to limit her to our two rescue cats, and her crested Gecko for now. lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to raise snakes, boa constrictors and ball pythons primarily. Caimans were a bridge to far for me. Exotic pets are certainly cheaper than exotic cars. Careful with that caiman, had a buddy get 20+ stitches from his.
Really RandalR? It is very exotic.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
A semi-wild Savannah cat escaped last week in Bristol, West England. The local community went hysterical, with fear of young and old people getting mauled, etc. Poor thing got recaptured yesterday and looks terrified. Keeping exotic pets is rather cruel.

·
Administrator
5,166 Posts
I agree about the cruelty.

Years ago I had a 200 gallon salt water fish tank with two baby leopard sharks. I loved watching and feeding them, but it wasn't long until they got big enough that they jumped out and died. Really stupid thing to do if you think through it. I didn't.

As far as Parrots. The most high maintenance, noisy, messy pets around. No Thank YOU!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 3 snakes now. A normal Ball Python, a Banana Ball Python and a Mexican Black King Snake. Pretty docile on all fronts, easy to take care of as well. Must be aware of temps/humidity though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had a 1,000 gallon saltwater reef aquarium is some really rare fish. I started neglecting it more and more, so it came down with the home renovation.

I used to have a red tail boa.

That's about as exotic as it'll ever get at my house.

I hate cats, but I've heard servals and Savannah's are pretty great. My wife disagrees with how great that would be, though.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
We can’t keep anything too exciting over here. Can you guys have toucans? They are lovely looking birds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts