Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum and must first confess that I am not a Lamborghini owner. Someday I hope that changes but right now I have other things to focus on. Anyways, I had a question for the patrons of this forum, especially the high end car owners.

Since I bought my first car I have been getting more and more into the world of car information. In doing this I have come across some smaller car manufactures that make extraordinary cars; companies such as Koenigsegg, Pagani, Ascari, Panoz, and others. Anyways, my question was do you exotic car owners think that the exsistance of a single dealership that consolidated all these brands ,plus some of the other major ones such as Ferrari and Lamborghini, would be a good business. I imagine people looking to purchase these cars would not care much about one stop shopping but the idea of having so many rare and not so rare exotics in one place seems like it would be an attractive place to purchase a car. The image in my head follows the cliche of a kid in a candy store.

Do you think this would be a successful business? Do you think a store like this would be a desirable and profitable place? Please give me your thoughts, especially why it wouldn't work. Thank You!

PS I'm jealous of all you Gallardo owners. I love my car, but someday I hope to own a Gallardo, so consider yourselves blessed.
MW

·
Registered
148 Posts
Beg steal borrow beg, do whatever it takes to get your first Lambo, trust me its worth it ! or convince the wife for a second mortgage ??

As regards your idea, it has prolly been done before not sure, but most car dealers who do Lambo's will do Ferraris and vice versa. Same with most exotics unless a main dealer (like lamborghini UK for instance, although even they have a Bentley on their used car area atm?!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, but the emphasis would be on the even lesser produced cars. This would be a place where you could go in drive a Pagani Zonda, the a Carrera GT, then a Koenigsegg CCR. I can't think of anywhere you can do that. By the way this would be a US dealership. Continue with the opinions! Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great idea in theory, but in practice it may not be so great.

The cost of starting something like this is tremendous. Even if you get past the cost aspect. Opening a Ferrari dealership isn't as easy as renting out a location and asking the factory politely. I'm sure Lamborghini is easier, but by no means a piece of cake.

Most exotic dealerships out there are supported by other less glamorous dealerships selling their "bread and butter"; be it vw/audis or bmws or toyotas. Otherwise, there are exotic dealers that are pretty close to this. An example would be Silicon Valley Auto Group. Formerly a Ferrari dealership until the factory took it back. They sell Bentley, Rolls, Aston, Lamborghini, Lotus, Saleen, and Spyker. Also known as Bentley Silicon Valley. Symbolic Motors is another part of it.

Given how many Paganis have been sold and the company's uncertain future, it isn't a matter of having dealers carry the marque, but having a car to display, for one. "Flooring" these cars may not exist at all. Dealers may have to outright buy them in order to display them.

Ascaris are not legal in the U.S. I thought. That opens up another can of worms. I know of somebody who tried to bring TVR into the U.S. but it was simply cost prohibitive for him (any investors out there?). Although one is British and the other French I'm sure that they would have the same problems since the import country in question is the same.

The best compromise is to have a few flagship marques under one roof and a big variety of "preowned" cars. That way you will have anything from Prosche's GT2 to McLaren/Mercedes SLRs.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stickanddice,

Your right about the cost. I was thinking about it and to have a good inventory would take millions.

My modified idea of this dealership would be a general sports car dealership that sells only sports cars that range from the inexpensive to the elite. The problem with this though may be that different demographics would be shopping at the same place. For example, it might be akward for someone buying a $20,000 sports car to be around people buying $200,000 sports cars. This is not something that would bother me, but then again I'm not most people.

Anyways, with this idea, the shop would be kind of a homebase for sports cars in the area. Everything sport car related would be available there.

This is pretty much the idea, I could tweak it forever but then it would not really be what I want it to be. So what do you think? Thanks!
MW

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
This idea works with most dealerships in the US. We have these "Sam's Club" dealers all over that sell everything.

The problem with the smaller exotic car companies is you need to have a good relationship with the factory. And they all want you to push THEIR car and no other. If you sold 10 lambos and only one F car last year, the F car people will want a good explanation, one that you probably won't have. Multiply this by all the exotics and you have a real problem on you hands. Also, repair service and parts are a big part of being successful in any car dealership. Very rare to have a service department that can handle all these different exotice brands.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I didn't mean the "lower end vehicle" dealerships shared the same floor. The VW dealership could be in another state. But the money that dealer makes will help the exotic dealer during dry times or to get started.

The most successful dealerships out there are more Honda/Toyota/etc. not Ferrari/Lamborghini/etc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think it wouldnt be too bad at all. It would be like going to the car show!!!! I dont know much about owning dealerships. :( but like that other guy said ^, you would need very good repair and parts service, obviously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts