Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, got some bad news from the dealer today. I had a Velocity AP race exhaust installed on the car a year and a half ago. The installer didn’t put any heat shielding on - when I inquired why the OEM exhaust had it, he said he’s been doing this 15 years and hasn’t needed to use heat shielding for custom exhausts.

Fast forward to yesterday, the dealer calls me while the car is in service and states the urethane rear panel above the bumper is completely warped and has black burn marks from the exhaust the heat. I had noticed the marks but thought it was soot on the PPF that could be polished out.

I confirmed for myself the panel is indeed warped beyond repair. Dealer is quoting $6000 for the part and $2000 to paint it!

Anyone know my options here? Perhaps I can find the part wholesale or used? Shop that installed the exhaust won’t do anything for me besides install heat shielding after the panel is replaced..

Hard to see from the pictures but I can feel the warping with my hand.

·
Registered
2017 Lamborghini Huracan LP 580-2
63 Posts
I don't know about race exhaust for a Lambo but I can tell you that I've put race exhaust on many other high-performance vehicles. Like my Viper. Race exhaust melts panels. Warps things. Cracks body panels. No one tells you these bad things when you order or install it. But it sounds magical and can shoots flames.

If you want to keep the race exhaust sound and experience then I'd just live with the warping because it will probably happen again. If the cosmetics mess with your mental then install less-agressive exhaust, or even OEM exhaust, and replace the panel so it's like-new again. Maybe wrapping your current exhaust will prevent it from reoccuring but there's no guarantee 🤷‍♂️

One thing that is great is to see you're out there driving the piss out of your car, withoutadoubtly enjoying it, and this is just a small and unexpected bump in your experience 🙌

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,201 Posts
I have seen this before and not putting back the heats shield is just asking for trouble. Sorry to hear your installer didn’t realize that. I have guys burn up their wiring as well as burning the paint. I guess it could have been worse.

Reactions: DXM31

·
Registered
236 Posts
Unfortunate that the exhaust manufacturer didn't specify to use a heat shield or wrap, but good that your car didn't catch on fire. When you replace the bumper just wrap the section of exhaust closest to the bumper cover in exhaust wrap (lots of brands to choose from) and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You can find parts for a lot less than the dealer. Probably 2 to 3 k and 1k to paint. Get a used takeoff in excellent shape. That existing panel might be fixed by someone that really knows how to work plastic. There are special epoxys that bond instantly to body panels (by 3M) They could fill in the warp spots and refinish. You will have to find a body man that really knows plastics. You can even heat and reform if you are experienced enough. You soften it with a heat gun and reshape then put cold water on it to harden into the correct shape.If you want to try it, go to a junkyard and get some body panels to practice on first. You will need a heat resistant glove like a welding glove and a sponge with cold water. The trick is to just get it hot enough to reform without melting. Once it softens a little, you push the bubble in or out as needed then cool off the plastic. There is a fine line between melting and reforming. It is not that hard once you practice.You need all the deformations as indentations or flat so you can fill them . Fill, sand , use bulldog adhesion promoter and prime with urethane primer. If you are really lucky, you can reform it enough to not be noticeable without having to paint. I would have to see the inside of the part to know if that is possible.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I inquired with Velocity they said they definitely recommend using the heat shield. Lambo puts it there for a reason.

·
Registered
928 Posts
There are options to reduce heat, because I am lazy, I would not wrap it. Instead ceramic coating is less maintenance. But like others have said the factory heat shield is there for a reason.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,674 Posts
Unfortunate but what I find interesting about OP story is the installer said the heat shielding is not needed based upon his 15 years of experience. Therefore, I wonder how many other customers got burnt both figuratively and literally. This once again emphasizes that although experience is important so is education.

Reactions: DXM31

·
Registered
928 Posts
... 15 years of experience....
I could say I have 50 years of experience working on stuff, but I have never changed the exhaust on a Huracan...yet. I do know enough that if I see a heat shield, I'm gonna do my best to put it back. I have installed heat shield where none existed before.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,674 Posts
I guess Mr. 15 Years was not the brightest crayon in the box.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That is why I only let the dealer or me work on my cars. There are way too many EXPERTS that have no ffing clue what they are doing. Ever wonder why there is a bumper delete on turbo lambos? HEAT. Turbos glow red hot when they are really cranking. That will melt any plastic within close proximity without serious heat shielding. Ceramic coatings lower the temp a little but not usually enough to protect the panels. These panels have a fairly low melting temp. Heat shielding wrap on pipes can greatly increase the temp inside the wrap and cause a lot of stress on the exhaust system with huge amounts of expansion and contraction. I would shield the panels with a radiant underhood wrap on them and possibly a physical barrier between the pipe and the panel. It all depends on the proximity and lack of circulation. The panels are probably melting when the car is still and no air is moving across them. All that heat is radiating towards the plastic, raising the temp and melting. Even a thermostatic controlled engine bay fan blowing near the panels could prevent overheating if it is extreme. Lee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts