Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the inundation with (stupid) questions and new posts. Newbie phenomenon:)

Per old records, my car has Quicksilver manifolds and "custom heat shielding" installed by Evans Automotive. Records don't indicate anything done to the stock muffler. So, I assume the stock muffler and secondary cats were retained with heat shielding placed around it (not even sure if that's possible)?? But then what's up with the manufacturing stamp if the shields are custom? Google search of Grassobbio, IT comes up with Tubi, but there is no documented history of any Tubi parts installed on the car. Exhaust is definitely not straight piped, so I'm curious to know what's under the shielding. Will have to get around to removing the spoiler section and see if I can get under that box. Any ideas what's going on here? Yeah, I know. Easiest way to find out is to remove the heat shield, but I'm tool-less at the moment.

604A0F59-7511-492C-8D94-9B8567DF93B3_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
you car sounds nearly stock, so i would imagine the stock exhaust box is there, likely the primary cats are in place, and the secondary cats replaced with quicksilver pipes (there are two versions, straight and silencer). Unless you have QS headers, with everything stock behind that? how much were the "manifolds" on your evans reciept.

Stick yourself under the rear end and take a few shots.

are you considering a different exhaust setup?

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,073 Posts
Bonehead, you should be able to see up under there in between where the tail pipes turn down and then back outward and the rear of the engine. From underneath you should be able to see if there are pipes or the old coffin box. Barring that, stick your phone up in there with flash on and you might get lucky with a photo. The heat shield comes down in the front and sides only and is open to the back and underneath. Underneath the mufflers is a permanently affixed heat shield but there is a gap between the two where the tail pipes go through. don’t worry, the shield is relatively easy to remove with a 10 mm spanner wrench, a socket better. You’ll need to remove the rear fin assembly (fin remains attached but the entire back deck slides off with it after a 10 mm nut on either side) and then the entire shield will lift off with removal of the then-easily accessed nuts.

and, that heat shield is original. That is what came with the car so any custom heat shielding may have been hand wrapped underneath?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
you car sounds nearly stock, so i would imagine the stock exhaust box is there, likely the primary cats are in place, and the secondary cats replaced with quicksilver pipes (there are two versions, straight and silencer). Unless you have QS headers, with everything stock behind that? how much were the "manifolds" on your evans reciept.

Stick yourself under the rear end and take a few shots.

are you considering a different exhaust setup?
$4800 "Quicksilver updated stainless 304, coated, manifold set" per the receipt back in 2017. Seems about right?
I'll see if I can snap some shots under the car. I have a 4 post lift, but there are cars on and under it now. And if there's one thing to dissuade someone from driving a car, it's putting it on a lift 😄.

No plan on changing it out....yet. I generally like my fun cars pretty loud. But this one has decent volume. I'd love a more high pitched sound a'la Murcielago, but I imagine that's probably more a function of the engine itself than the exhaust system. If there's miraculously a stock muffler under there, I think I'd have to ditch it for the weight savings alone.

Bonehead, you should be able to see up under there in between where the tail pipes turn down and then back outward and the rear of the engine. From underneath you should be able to see if there are pipes or the old coffin box. Barring that, stick your phone up in there with flash on and you might get lucky with a photo. The heat shield comes down in the front and sides only and is open to the back and underneath. Underneath the mufflers is a permanently affixed heat shield but there is a gap between the two where the tail pipes go through. don’t worry, the shield is relatively easy to remove with a 10 mm spanner wrench, a socket better. You’ll need to remove the rear fin assembly (fin remains attached but the entire back deck slides off with it after a 10 mm nut on either side) and then the entire shield will lift off with removal of the then-easily accessed nuts.

and, that heat shield is original. That is what came with the car so any custom heat shielding may have been hand wrapped underneath?
Ah, so that heat shield is OEM. Interesting. So, yeah, I have no idea what 'custom heat shielding' Evans fabricated. I'll see if I can snap some pics from under the car.

i want that heat shield.
Sorry, keeping that piece for sure. I went for a quick drive today to get the state inspection. Still mid/upper 30's out and when I got home, the engine bay was HOT. I can't imagine how hot that exhaust and engine bay will be in the middle of a Houston summer.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
at $4,800 you must have the quicksilver headers, and I am nearly certain you have a totally stock exhaust behind the headers. if so, very cool you have the QS headers.

i dont know if the SV had heat shielding on the stock headers, but look down beneath the cam covers (spark plug bank) and see what the situations is down here, are the pipes exposed?

George Evans is a QS dealer, but wondering why the headers were replaced, other than its a super cool thing to do and he may have had them in stock :)

never going to get a high pitch sound.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
at $4,800 you must have the quicksilver headers, and I am nearly certain you have a totally stock exhaust behind the headers. if so, very cool you have the QS headers.

i dont know if the SV had heat shielding on the stock headers, but look down beneath the cam covers (spark plug bank) and see what the situations is down here, are the pipes exposed?

George Evans is a QS dealer, but wondering why the headers were replaced, other than its a super cool thing to do and he may have had them in stock :)

never going to get a high pitch sound.
From what I understand, it's not a matter of if, but when, Diablo headers will crack. These were put on 19 years in, so I think that's probably the reason.

if you have the QS headers its probably shielding on that.
Headers are coated by not shielded. BUT, the primary cats are shielded which gives us the answer to that question (unless these were shielded from the factory as well?).

Tried in vain to take pics from under the car and all I got were dark photos of the metal grill between the exhaust pipes. I figured I may as well try to take a pic through the rear grill between the tail lights and never would have seen this if I didn't take the pic. Mystery solved!

If you can't make it out, it says CVX Racing Muffler/Patent Pending/V-12 Engineering/Gilroy, CA. Never heard of it. Can't seem to find a photo of the exhaust or anything on this company other than on a Camaro forum. Up by your part of CA, Geno @Sledge4.2. And if I'm not mistaken, Driven Exotics is up there, too. Ever heard of them?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
someone with more knowledge on the SV's will need to chime. in.

i see it up there, V12 Engineering, that was Al Burtoni's shop in Gilroy, long since gone but plenty of Lamborghini history there, look into that for your own benefit.

Steve Gleaner at Driven Exotics was a young disciple of Al Burtoni - a really good story there if you can every learn it, and now Steve has his own shop, he does the things I can not do on my Diablo, and he had become a good friend in my Diablo journey. its George Evans and Steve Gleaner. Others have good reputations too, but those are the kings.

Bottom line, you have an Al Burtoni Exhaust from back in the day- look on ebay, insane prices and likely not going to get that, but still a piece of the history.

Do as Mark says and get that rear lid off, remove exhaust shield and let see what's in there !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
someone with more knowledge on the SV's will need to chime. in.

i see it up there, V12 Engineering, that was Al Burtoni's shop in Gilroy, long since gone but plenty of Lamborghini history there, look into that for your own benefit.

Steve Gleaner at Driven Exotics was a young disciple of Al Burtoni - a really good story there if you can every learn it, and now Steve has his own shop, he does the things I can not do on my Diablo, and he had become a good friend in my Diablo journey. its George Evans and Steve Gleaner. Others have good reputations too, but those are the kings.

Bottom line, you have an Al Burtoni Exhaust from back in the day- look on ebay, insane prices and likely not going to get that, but still a piece of the history.

Do as Mark says and get that rear lid off, remove exhaust shield and let see what's in there !
Ah yes. I know of Al Burtoni. Didn't know V12 Engineering was his shop. The Gilroy and Driven Exotics connection now makes sense. Here's a pic. That's it for sure.

So, now I know it has aftermarket headers and muffler (and assume secondary cat delete?). Is the only way to make it louder at this point is by removing the primary cats? Not sure I'm too keen on that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
you have Quicksilver Headers, all cats in place, with an Al Burtoni exhaust.

If you want insane volume buy the Quicksilver test pipes. I you dont want to kill pedestrians and small animals, but still be loud, buy the quicksilver silencers.

i dont know what the delete option is for the primary cats. I have an early diablo with only one pair of cats.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I you dont want to kill pedestrians and small animals, but still be loud, buy the quicksilver silencers.
😂

How much more volume would swapping out the Burtoni for Quicksilver silencers yield? I can't imagine very much.

What are you running, Geno? Stock headers, primary cats, test pipes and ??

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here in Europe many Diablos don´t drive with cats :D Just with cat delete pipes and a silencer, Tubi, Ansa or whatever.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
i may have given you bad information. It looks like the Burtoni system eliminates the large cats, so a quicksilver silencer or straight pipes wouldnt do much in terms of volume.

Did the SV's come with primary and secondary cats? I don't seem them in the parts manual, i only see the 2001 6.0's had primary and secondary cats.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i may have given you bad information. It looks like the Burtoni system eliminates the large cats, so a quicksilver silencer or straight pipes wouldnt do much in terms of volume.

Did the SV's come with primary and secondary cats? I don't seem them in the parts manual, i only see the 2001 6.0's had primary and secondary cats.
Thanks for the info. I assumed all US spec cars came with 2 sets of cats, but I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The early cars all only had one set of cats, not sure when Lamborghini transitioned to two sets. Can anyone answer?

In any case, you are correct in your earlier post that you have primaries, but no secondaries (assuming you have the exact Al Burtoni exhaust in the ebay pic I sent you - and not a variant that has the secondary cats installed...).

I don't know if a different system such as the Quicksilver "twisty" exhaust in my pic, or a similar unit from LOC would increase volume or not. I assume it wouldnt because all three systems are basically just straight-through without chambers or mufflers. I will ask Steve and see what he says.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts