Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the new Evos, what battery type is OEM? AGM? LiFePO4?

And follow-up question, after how much time of sitting around should it be connected to the trickle charger?

TIA!

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
On the new Evos, what battery type is OEM? AGM? LiFePO4?

And follow-up question, after how much time of sitting around should it be connected to the trickle charger?

TIA!
The Lamborghini OEM battery is pretty solid and held it's charge quite well but then again I only had the 2021 EVO for 5 months. Also had a 2019 580-2 also with an OEM battery and again it was also a solid performer.
I kept my Lamborghinis' on a trickle charger whenever I was not driving them, and with the pigtail quick attachment it takes seconds to connect and disconnect but I would highly recommend it's use if you don't intend to drive for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: asmazda

Registered
Should be AGM.

Premium Member
I read about the AGM batteries*, interesting. It's smaller, more powerful, lasts longer, and weighs ~ 63lbs, is that correct? What does the OEM battery weigh?

Though, I would have to hold on to my sports cars for a while to justify changing the stock OEM at this point. If my battery should die, and I still have the EVO, I will consider it.

*Are AGM Batteries Better?

Registered
I had a lithium Voltphreaks battery in my r8 for several years, never had issues with it and it never dies because it shuts itself off to not discharge fully and you just turn it on again by pushing a button. Also weighs like 9 pounds.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a lithium Voltphreaks battery in my r8 for several years, never had issues with it and it never dies because it shuts itself off to not discharge fully and you just turn it on again by pushing a button. Also weighs like 9 pounds.
I鈥檓 really surprised new Evo doesn鈥檛 come with Lithium. Lithium is much lighter and tolerates better sitting around since these cars usually not daily drivers.

Registered
Huracan Performante Twin Turbo
The issue with this battery is when it shuts off it resets the date/time every time...I had it on for a week, hated it so I removed it

Premium Member
The issue with this battery is when it shuts off it resets the date/time every time...I had it on for a week, hated it so I removed it
Wow, that's an interesting, and not an insignificant fact.

Registered
lambo's stock battery is quite ok. It is not worth the hassle replacing it. i did it once with LiFePO4 and reverted back to stock.

Still if you do, just keep in mind evo mmi and internal components need energy when ignition is on. so if you get a LiFePO4 battery, it better have 60-70ah or more juice like the stock one. otherwise it will drain sooner than you think just when you're sitting in the car. some LiFePO4 manufacturers trick by saying "pb equivalent" referring to cranking power and selling much smaller batteries than it can be used reasonably in real life. That's pure BS.

resting energy of evo is quite well done. drops to about 0.01A after one or two hours after the car is switched off. This means you can keep it unplugged at rest much longer than mclarens or many ferrari models.

still without the charger or actually driving the evo, more than three weeks should be avoided as far as I know. mclaren dealer told me that's about 3-4 days for the 765lt.

A good reason to drive.

Premium Member
All interesting and learned comments but when all is said in done..........the OEM battery is more than adequate for my needs.

Registered
This was the battery I used in my R8 VPH1200, Voltphreaks LLC
8 pounds, never had an issue, could leave the car for 3 weeks without starting and still be fine. But I'm not sure it will be enough for the EVO's needs.

Also, if you did replace the battery the weight is such a drastic difference I wonder if it would upset the balance of the car noticeably since the front end would be almost 50 pounds lighter. In my case I balanced things out with the R8 by also installing a lighter aftermarket exhaust. You also need something to clamp the battery in place since it's so small.

Vendor
lambo's stock battery is quite ok. It is not worth the hassle replacing it. i did it once with LiFePO4 and reverted back to stock.

Still if you do, just keep in mind evo mmi and internal components need energy when ignition is on. so if you get a LiFePO4 battery, it better have 60-70ah or more juice like the stock one. otherwise it will drain sooner than you think just when you're sitting in the car. some LiFePO4 manufacturers trick by saying "pb equivalent" referring to cranking power and selling much smaller batteries than it can be used reasonably in real life. That's pure BS.
Lithium ion gets away with running less amp hours because the internal resistance of a LifePo4 is 1/3 of a typical lead acid battery but this does depend on the manufacturer and construction technique so speaking in generalities. A typical Hurac谩n/R8 battery is 95Ah depending on region and weighs about 60 pounds. A lithium ion battery does not need the same amp hours as a lead acid because less electrical output is wasted on friction in the better designs like Antigravity Batteries.

You can get an Antigravity 60Ah or even an 80 Ah if your car sits for long periods of time, The 60Ah is 18 pounds so a 42 pound weigh savings. They do have internal circuitry that'll disconnect if the voltage drops below a certain point. They ship with two key fobs. If the battery voltage does drop and it disconnects, press the key fob, battery comes back on and you have more than enough juice to start the car. I've let mine sit for as long as three weeks without a charger and no issue. But just get the CTEK charger/tender and a comfort harness. Make it a snap to plug in and no alligator clips.

The 40Ah model is more than enough to start the car but I've found the higher amp hour versions play nicer with modern can-bus systems. It is important to code them in, preferably with a non-AGM BEM code since AGM prefers a higher voltage level when being charged. The AG batteries will typically charge far more quickly to full capacity as well which is nice if you're making short trips.

Vendor
Also, if you did replace the battery the weight is such a drastic difference I wonder if it would upset the balance of the car noticeably since the front end would be almost 50 pounds lighter. In my case I balanced things out with the R8 by also installing a lighter aftermarket exhaust. You also need something to clamp the battery in place since it's so small.
I sell a lot of Antigravity batteries to owners with various front engine Audi vehicles. Audi places the battery in the trunk. On my RS5, it's literally a 911 in reverse, the entire V8 engine sits in front of the front axle line, battery out back. I calculated that the weight loss is about the same as driving around on a mostly empty tank of gas.

I can definitely feel the difference in terms of acceleration between a full and empty tank of gas in that vehicle. Handling wise, I really can't tell a difference other than maybe a bit more rear traction. Once you start removing even more weight from the back end of those vehicles with a lighter exhaust (Akra), rear seat delete, etc...I do think it upsets the balance of the car as despite the front end heft, they can be tail happy and don't understeer when driven correctly, letting the rear diff do its thing.

The Hurac谩n has more torque (and hp) and is at least 500 pounds lighter so you're likely to not notice the difference in acceleration as much as yo would in a lower hp, heavier vehicle and the gas tank isn't on the polar end of the car. I do not think removing 50 pounds is going to make a dramatic change or a change any normal human being would feel. One of my clients runs an AG (Antigravity) in his R8 and he tracks. He's never complained it created more understeer and he has a RWD setup.

So the Antigravity batteries are a good way to shed 43-45 pounds and it's quicker and probably cheaper than hitting the gym :) And the 60Ah version weighs 17 pounds, not 18, so a 43 pound weight savings. The first time I lifted the AG battery off the floor, I about smacked my forehead with it. I can also get you a pretty killer deal on them so send me a message if you're interested. I've stuck them in all my vehicles at this point just for the jump start feature alone and knowing my family will never be stranded. My wife is in the medical field and is often coming home very late at night so it's peace of mind and the warranty doesn't hurt either.

This video isn't analogous from an installation standpoint but it does show you what comes with the battery, depending on what you order, along with the weight vs. the OEM battery on a scale in real time.

Registered
Won鈥檛 have my Huracan until February but whenever the lead acid battery dies I鈥檒l strongly consider replacing it with the lithium antigravity

Vendor
Won鈥檛 have my Huracan until February but whenever the lead acid battery dies I鈥檒l strongly consider replacing it with the lithium antigravity
Typically, if you keep the OE battery in good shape (ie. don't let it go dead too many times) then they last quite a long time. Part of it is the battery monitoring system and charging logistics but also the fact the battery is not being doused by radiant heat from a hot engine bay.

Premium Member
@RMR, I wonder what kind of lifespan range we can expect from the OEM battery that is religiously kept on a charger when not in use? Using the assumptions, car is garaged and kept in a temperature controlled environment.

Vendor
@RMR, I wonder what kind of lifespan range we can expect from the OEM battery that is religiously kept on a charger when not in use? Using the assumptions, car is garaged and kept in a temperature controlled environment.
I would expect at least a five year life span honestly. I went seven on my RS5 battery living in a hot/humid climate but it was also daily driven. Batteries tend to degrade as their cells become damaged and the number of discharge/recharge cycles goes up. They can degrade more quickly due to a variety of reasons on the manufacturing side (quality control basically) but in general they'll last a long time as long as you don't let them die and recharge them constantly. So a tender is a great idea.

In that regard the antigravity batteries are better. A lead acid is good for about 1000 charge cycles where an Antigravity is good for about 3,000 cycles. That's full discharge/recharge. They also come with a five year warranty. Beyond that, if there's anything you see on their site that might interest you, micro starts or chargers included, reach out to me for best pricing. [email protected]. Since you're not wanting to swap batteries for some time, take a look at their micro starts as it's good to throw those in the trunk in case your OE battery dies while you're out and about.
-Michel

Premium Member
Michel, thanks for taking the time to educate. I am sure the information will help quite a few other members of our forum as well. First and foremost, I love driving my supercars but I love equally the opportunity to learn about this great hobby. (y)

Vendor
Michel, thanks for taking the time to educate. I am sure the information will help quite a few other members of our forum as well. First and foremost, I love driving my supercars but I love equally the opportunity to learn about this great hobby. (y)
Thank you Lambo 2018! I'm a car nut through and through honestly and the vendor thing is a late addition to life that came out of sleepless nights designing components in my head which I knew would benefit the community at large.

Spent many years and many tens of thousands building track day specials and generally trying to push the envelope on whatever car I was into at the time. Lately it's been more about experiential education and sharing knowledge so other enthusiasts can make educated decisions concerning their own vehicles. My YouTube page is almost entirely DIY material albeit not about the Hurac谩n (yet!). But happy to help and mine is only an opinion. Your wants/desire/needs may vary from mine!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts