Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering how long do most people here warm there engine on a cold start?

With my PTurbo (oil cooled) I would warm up until I was getting signal on oil temp. On the Ferrari I would warm until got a water temp signal. On the Diablo I wait until the cold start "surges" go away (2-3 minutes).

What about others here? How long appx do you warm on a cold start, meaning sitting overnight, before driving her out the door?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I don't warm up at all, the best is: start the engine and drive away softly...

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
All the books reccomend at least 5 mins but preferably 10 mins warm up from cold.
To get 17 litres of oil moving and warm enough to protect the parts it makes sense. Also the gear change is very stiff when cold

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
If you let the engine run for 10 minutes you will reach about 60 degrees water while engine, gearbox and differential oil are still cold -> Nonsense!

Best is: start the engine and drive smoothly, after 10 Minutes the engine, gearbox and differential are warmed up, not only the engines water!

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Hi Raymond, I understand your answer, but in that case why do all the books say that the factory reccomend a warm up period BEFORE driving.

In my case after 5 mins or a little more at idle, the gear oil is warmed sufficiently by the transmission of engine case heat through to the gear oil to make gear changes much easier.

It may be that I am operating at higher ambient temperatures here in Spain.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
terryjoint said:
It may be that I am operating at higher ambient temperatures here in Spain.
Terry,

this helps for sure, btw in central europe it's more and more forbidden by law to let the engine warm up because of air pollution (in Switzerland it is).
Gear shifting is only stocking the first few time till the oil was moved around, double clutching helps.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
NO, it doesn't, I think it's because of the bad idle/ rough running with the carbs and crap MM ignition box. With the permatune/MSD ignition idle is much better und you can drive away immediately even with minus degrees.
When I brought my car to the garage to fix the head gaskets I had to start it at -5 degrees C and drove away after closing the garage, aprox. 2 minutes after starting.

BTW did you know that a used MM box was quoted with 3500 Euro from the factory, for this amount you can buy 3,5 of mine :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not L-car, but when I take out my 550, I start off right away. for the first 10 minutes not exceeding 2500 rpm, then gradually picking it up.

I do not know if this is valid for F cars only but unless you really drive the car, the oil temp doesn't move up a lot (although water is very quick). I am not sure at all about the engine warmth heating up the gearbox oil. But again the 550 has the gearbox in the back and engine in front.....

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very interesting...I did not think so many would chime in. The owners manual does not mention warm up. I know for some cars, manuals will state to start and drive right away as Raymond (CH) suggests. I think that has something to do with allowing the cats to come up to temp quicker. I don't have cats. When you consider expansion rates of different metals, it would seem car should be brought up to normal operating temp before driving and introducing stress.

Take an F1 car for example. Before it's started a portable unit heats oil and water through the car before starting. I know street cars are different, but the theory still makes sense for any engine.

Now for my "beater" daily driver...It's start and go, no matter what and I have over 140K on it....still runs like a Rolex :)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
From the Gallardo owner's manual:

Do not warm up the car by running it with the car stationary. Drive off immediately to avoid unnecessary exhaust emissions.

But it also says:

Avoid high engine speeds, full throttle and extreme load conditions until the engine has reached its normal operating temperature, otherwise the engine can be damaged.

I start and drive off gently. Its not just emissions - I'm thinking of my neighbours too, as I often hit the road at 6am on Sundays to meet up with my driving buddies. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are two questions here with different answers:

1- Do I let the car sit at idle before driving?
No, always start up and go but softly until the OIL is warmed up. There is no time when idling a car is good. The idling state is the worst condition to be in.

2- When can I gun the throttle?
The OIL must be up to 150 - 180 F for thinner oils and 200 plus for thicker oils. Water usually gets up to temperature in 5 minutes or less, but oil takes 15 minutes or longer.

aehaas

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with Dr. Haas. My question is would it be beneficial to install a crankcase heater? It's such an expensive engine. Wouldn't warm oil before startup only help things?--Dave

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
When cold, I start my Murcie and wait about 30 seconds before driving off slowly keeping revs below 3000. Once oil temp reaches operational temperature, I rev higher.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.