Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get some oppinions on a Countach engine rebuild. The obvious prob is the numerous oil leaks. Also I would like to get the clutch replaced at the same time. Has anyone had this performed? Who do you reccomend? I called Supercar performance at Road Atlanta and was quoted over the phone $20,000.00. OUCH!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Oil leaks are not an indication of the need for a rebuild. Knocking, Smoking, No Oil Pressure, etc. would be an indication that a rebuild may be neccesary.

I think they meant the prices for a rebuild & clutch "start at $20K".

A clutch and full Major Service with W/P rebuild and the usual nessecities is in the $10k-$12K range..unless the car has had LOT'S of service work prior to a clutch.

You don't give year or miles so it's immpossible to give a real evaluation..but my guess would be the car really needs (unless it's extremely high miles or abused) a comprehensive Major Service.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't rebuild unless it ABSOLUTELY needs it ~~~OR~~~you have a lot of extra dough burning holes in the pockets.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If it has oil leaks thats a reliable indicator that it still has oil in it. :eek:

Sorry, smartass answer but that what I hear all the time.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine has over 17000 miles on it. I want to put in a upgraded clutch and Stop the oil leaks. I don't want to pull the engine and then have to pull it again later for something I should have done the 1st time.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Rebuild or not to Rebuild...the BILL is the question!

Make sure you go to someone you trust to do the major service. While the engine is out, this is a opportune time to do all other work including upgrades and clutch.

Costs can get rather high (could even get out of control) if you do everything all at once. Make a budget and discuss it with whoever is doing the service. You will have options.

If you don't need to change things like distibutor cap, wires and other misc. items, it will save you thousands. However make sure you change / fix all the things that cannot be fixed with the engine in the car. For example, if you are doing a major service and your clutch is 40% or less life left, depending how and how much you drive, you may want to change it during the major service. Not changing it will save you big, but if you have to pull the engine next year, you will pay double and have to have the engine pulled again.

If the oil leak is just a seal and your confident that it will not damage anything driving the car with this condition, save your money and do everything all at once.

L

·
0 Posts
FWIW, $20k for a countach rebuild and clutch sounds like it's too good to be true, a good deal if the guy's any good.

But what I can't understand is the "ouch!" part. One really shouldn't be surprised by these sorts of costs with an Italian v-12, especally a countach. Maybe double that would be an ouch -- this sounds more like a situation that will end up costing over $20k when you're done.

The most important thing here is whether this guy can actually work on a countach or not. If he's not an expert, this job could end up costing you way more than $20k just in fixing his mistakes.

Any references from countach owners??

My .02, I'm no countach expert!

Fred

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first post, but I am in the middle of a complete rebuild so I felt it was appropriate. The car is a 1987 F.I. 4V Countach.

The reason for the rebuild was a combination of a blown head gasket and a cracked cylinder liner. I am having the engine completely redone. Some wear was found in the main and rod bearings so these are being replaced. Pistons and rings are also new. The crank was checked and was ok. The heads are being done right now including a complete valve job and replacement of the valve guides with new units. (Not factory bronze!) I also ordered a complete gasket and seal kit so all will be as new. (No Leaks) The water pump will also be rebuilt.

I had the fuel injection system completely sorted just prior to the gasket/liner failure, so it is finished. I also overhauled the cooling system including re-core of the radiators, new/updated cooling fans, hoses etc.

I will have the clutch replaced while the engine is out even though it only has 4500 miles on it. Thinking of Clutchmasters, but have not made final decision.

Cosmetically, I am taking advantage of the engine being out and will fully restore the engine bay. Valve covers and Intake manifolds will be crackle black finish and a significant amount of powder coating is being done to the rest of the engine and attached particulars. I will be doing most of the cosmetic work myself. Conservative personal time estimate so far is about 100 hours and climbing.

I have had the alternator and starter rebuilt and I will install a new Sanden compressor, All hoses (fuel, oil, etc.) will be new.

I also lost my mind and purchased a complete polished Larini exhaust system including new manifolds.

The work is being performed by James Patterson at Norwood Performance here in Dallas. James is quite knowledgeable and has proven to be very honest and trustworthy.

For what it's worth, the total for this project not including my personal time will be about $28,000. I'm not thrilled about the amount, but I am glad the the car will be done right. I hope this provides some of the insight you were asking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
unless someone did an incredibly stupid thing, that motor is fine. Perform the major and leave it alone. In fact, if the clutch isn't slipping I wouldn't pull the motor. Oil is cheap, and most leaks can be fixed without pulling it. A water pump rebuild is probably a good idea too, unless you know it was serviced at some point.

BTW-nice exhaust Richard. very nice

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
For what it´sworth IMHO you should not bother just because it has oil leaks. I have been suffering oil leaks for some time now. However the problem has been traced to just one oil pipe, one of the two that feed the oil cooler on the front right side.
It took ages to find out it was just that pipe as the oil appeared to be coming from everywhere, a VERY smal amount of oil goes a long way when it is hot !!

My car has about the same mileage as yours and there is no way any of the major components are worn out, these engines, if maintained properly ( Lots of oil changes) should last many many miles. Lets face it they were designed as a very high performance engines and most of us use about 50% of the available power most of the time.Just check all the oil pipes and leave well alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts