Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happy Holidays Friends - I had a bit of a panic attack recently, when I went to open my engine hood, the latch on the right side released, the one on the left didn't...not good!

Thumbing through the owners manual, it says there are emergency releases located in each rear wheel well - fantastic!! Its almost like the factory knew there might be issues with the original cable mechanism.

After a few deep breaths....I jacked up the car, removed the rear wheel and the two (2) inner fender liners (with their multitude of fasteners!):

Ok I located the emergency release cable inside the wheel well..here it is:

I yanked on it and yanked on it and no luck...it still did not release the latch....so I started sweating again.

After a few more REALLY deep breaths...and laying on my concrete driveway and looking up, I realized I had a good line of sight to the latch and with my long arms and a long flat edge screw driver, I could actually gently pry the latch to release the hood....and voila had it opened within a minute.

This picture is me laying on the ground in the rear wheel well looking upwards at the latch, you can see the release cables to the right running into the latch:

With the engine hood opened, I took everything apart, oiled the latch mechanism with a very light machine oil and also adjusted the cable tension with an 8mm open wrench - top cable in the picture below. That was the trick and I was back in business.

Hope this helps and a good future reference!
Yasin

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,207 Posts
This is a great write up. All of us owners of the Diablos should proactively do the maintenance. I did. Degrease both mechanisms and re-grease it to make sure it is nice and smooth. The cables fail when there is a binding effect at the mechanism not because the cables fail in and of themselves.

glad you got yours corrected and did not have to pay a fortune for it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a great write up. All of us owners of the Diablos should proactively do the maintenance. I did. Degrease both mechanisms and re-grease it to make sure it is nice and smooth. The cables fail when there is a binding effect at the mechanism not because the cables fail in and of themselves.

glad you got yours corrected and did not have to pay a fortune for it.
I agree 101%. Talk about stressful, if you can't lift your engine hood.
Once the rear wheel fender liners are removed there is a fair bit that is visible which really helps, should the latch "stick" or the cable start binding...life saver!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts