Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good folks in Murci land!

I just bought this WiFi backup camera that works with my iPhone.

Just curious. Does anyone have the exact locations inside the engine bay or near the rear view license plate that I would be able to hook up power and ground? With the only requirement being, the power Is only supplied when the engine is running. FYI, I have an 06 Murci Roadster

thanks!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Power needs to be pulled from the fuse box, so inside the car, for something that’s only on when the car is.

I would never pull power from something under the bonnet, considering the car depends on those systems to run. The last thing you would want to do is draw on a critical system and blow the fuse with aftermarket gear, shutting the car down somewhere. Sure, it’s easy to replace a fuse, but you’d have to undo the camera wiring to make sure it doesn’t happen again then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wrex
Thanks for the advice.
My use case is that I want the camera to transmit to my phone when the engine is running. Definitely need it for reversing and would like for assisting in lane changes AND to see if the police are chasing me ☺

couple questions to anyone reading this. I plan on controlling the cameras on/off via the radio fuse using a fuse tap. It’s the fuse box in the passenger foot well. According to the service manual, see this pic:

Fuse 7 is the radio, clock and audio system.

I noticed that fuse 16 is available. Thus I assume coming out of the factory, my Murci had no devices on that fuse location. Is that fuse location empty (no fuse) by default? If so, I’d rather throw in a 5amp fuse and use it, rather than fuse tap Fuse 7. However, if there’s already a fuse in that location, I’ll probably fuse tap the radio fuse as it would be safer.

also, has anyone use a fuse tap in a lambo? Will the fuse box cover be able to close using one?

I suppose opening up the fuse box will answer many of my questions.

this is the fuse tap I’ll be using:

also if anyone knows, is there an easy way to run wire from the passenger foot well to the rear of the vehicle? If not, how did you guys do it?

thanks!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Wrex
Thanks for the advice.
My use case is that I want the camera to transmit to my phone when the engine is running. Definitely need it for reversing and would like for assisting in lane changes AND to see if the police are chasing me

couple questions to anyone reading this. I plan on controlling the cameras on/off via the radio fuse using a fuse tap. It’s the fuse box in the passenger foot well. According to the service manual, see this pic:
View attachment 288167
Fuse 7 is the radio, clock and audio system.

I noticed that fuse 16 is available. Thus I assume coming out of the factory, my Murci had no devices on that fuse location. Is that fuse location empty (no fuse) by default? If so, I’d rather throw in a 5amp fuse and use it, rather than fuse tap Fuse 7. However, if there’s already a fuse in that location, I’ll probably fuse tap the radio fuse as it would be safer.

also, has anyone use a fuse tap in a lambo? Will the fuse box cover be able to close using one?

I suppose opening up the fuse box will answer many of my questions.

this is the fuse tap I’ll be using:
View attachment 288168

also if anyone knows, is there an easy way to run wire from the passenger foot well to the rear of the vehicle? If not, how did you guys do it?

thanks!
I wired my radar detector in using one of those fuse taps. They work just fine.

The thing you will want to double-check on, is of fuse 16 (well, the blank slot that doesn’t have a fuse in it) is constant power or key on. If you REALLY want a clean look, if that blank is “key on” power, then you can throw a regular size fuse in it without the fuse tap, and use a female spade connector from the back side on the opposite leg of the fuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update on my wireless WiFi rear camera install.
Removed the left rear grill and the center grill with a Phillips screw driver.

I then noticed the rear radar module was readily accessible.

I decided to splice into the power and ground going into the unit. 12v was red and ground was black.

I zipped up everything and now get a flicker free consistent signal to my iPhone while driving. Oh, and yes my radar still works It should, as the camera only draws an amp.

the unit I purchased cost me around $100.

I only have 2 minor complaints. The live video does have fisheye, thus making images appear further away than reality. I can live with that, as I only wanted the camera for lane changes and seeing cops chase me. The second issue is the video stream doesn’t cover the entire iPhone screen. Again not a big deal.
The entire process took me about 2 hours.
I did test the unit out PRIOR to installing the unit, as some online reviews panned the camera for not working or being glitchy.

thanks for everyone’s input!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI,
The reason I didn’t route cables to the front fuse box, is the rear radar unit is an item I don’t really care about. So if my attachment to its power cable causes an issue, it’s not a biggy. The radar unit does tap off the front passenger fuse box so it’s isolated from anything else.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
That's a good place to get the power. Much better than running a wire to the cabin.

I spliced in automotive wiring connectors so I can easily remove the center grill from the car. That simple project improved the quality of my life greatly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts