Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this question may be super simple but since I have not done it before I figured I would ask the seasoned vets? Is there any special way to clean the engine/bay? Is a simple hose down under pressure okay? Etc.

thanks in advance for your advice

New G owner

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Not a simple question. I too would like engine detailing advice.

The dealer always covered engine bays with a tarp when washing. The first time I washed my murci, I didn't cover the engine bay (but didn't wash in there intentionally either) and it ran extremely rough for 10 minutes until I believe the moisture evaporated. From then on, always covered it.

·
Registered
2004 Gallardo Coupe E-Gear Giallo Midas
54 Posts
Would also be interested. Did someone try using a professional steam cleaner yet?

Next thing i am willing to try in summer is using dry ice cleaning. Some friends of mine lend a machine and buy some dry ice to clean their engines every year, will join them and post pictures when done.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I also want to clean my engine bay but this specific part of the engine. Under the manifold. (See pic)

I have a bit of oil residue there and the OCD of it is killing me hahahahaha

So I was told to try and spray as much "Simple Green" as possible and hose it down, then let it air dry or vacuum suction as much water that's between the block.

Not sure but any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@NycLambo Congrats, your engine looks so nice. Except the specific part... ;) First thing that came to my mind (please note that this is not based on expierience) - why not spray it down and then use a microfiber soft brush like this little friend here:

brush.jpg

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
@NycLambo Congrats, your engine looks so nice. Except the specific part... ;) First thing that came to my mind (please note that this is not based on expierience) - why not spray it down and then use a microfiber soft brush like this little friend here:
Sounds about right and that isn't my engine. It was just an example of where mine needs to be clean LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Any auto parts store will have engine degreaser sprays, I've always used Gunk Original. They are very effective at cutting through grease and grime but won't harm any of the plastic or rubber. Just spray them on, let them soak a few minutes, then hose/rinse off (no need to spray off with a ton pressure). Since your applying and rinsing manually just take care to stay mostly away from electrical connections etc. and you shouldn't have any problems. I've also attached 1/2" vinyl tube to my shop vac to get in small nooks and crannies and suck up any excess water.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,207 Posts
I have had good experience with griots engine bay cleaner which you can put in a spray bottle or put on a microfiber towel etc. in my experience it breaks the grease and grime better than simple green by a fairly wide margin. I have never used water in my engine bay and especially not a high pressure hose though some some people have and swear by it. There are too many electronics gremlins waiting to rear their ugly heads if you have direct water application in there.

as to the above picture of that special microfiber towel thingy, I would expect it would not last long. It would get so grimy almost immediately. I had to detail my engine after dropping a bunch of oil in the V per my stupid mistake known as a double O-ring on the filter housing. I went through probably three rolls of shop towels bit by bit by bit absorbing the oil and slowly getting it clean. No way I would want to keep cleaning the microfiber towel to use it again in a heavy cleaning application.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,207 Posts
Oh, and I also did a search on engine bay cleaning here. Many threads came up so you might want to do the same.

·
Registered
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder, 458 Spyder
149 Posts
What is the board consensus as to cleaning the engine bay?

·
Registered
361 Posts
As mentioned above (good advice!): only by hand, never use a pressure washer, cover/stay away from electrical connections.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Simple green is the way, safe on all the rubber and painted parts, does a great job, and smells nice as well. Let it sit a bit, give it a good spray down with water and use a leaf blower to dry it off prior to re-starting. Will look better than new when done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts