Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inverted emergency egress with the scissor doors...

Has anyone considered how to egress if the car is inverted? I recall seen an article of two people burnt to death because they couldn't get out of an overturned Murci. Being a pilot, I'm always considering and want to be prepared for the worst case scenario. I have an emergency seat belt cutter and hammer.

I apologize in advance for posting such a macabre subject, but it's something that's been bugging me since getting the car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Glass breaker - good idea, I should get one.

With tinted side windows, how much more difficulty will it be to break the glass? The glass thickness on our cars is insanely deep.

·
Registered
96 Posts
And adding to this discussion, what worries more is no side airbags. The difference in injuries with and without side airbags is immense. I was in a severe accident at age 18 w/o side air bags in a Taurus that was T-boned. Still suffer daily because of it.

At least if the car burns, you will have a minute or two of roasting and then you're gone. Better than being left alive and with terrible injuries in my book.

·
Registered
232 Posts
And adding to this discussion, what worries more is no side airbags. The difference in injuries with and without side airbags is immense. I was in a severe accident at age 18 w/o side air bags in a Taurus that was T-boned. Still suffer daily because of it.

At least if the car burns, you will have a minute or two of roasting and then you're gone. Better than being left alive and with terrible injuries in my book.
I've thought about that, but given the height of these cars, most bumpers are going to smash you in the head anyway, where side airbags are meant more to protect your head from hitting the window, not the bumper of the other vehicle coming through your window. I always find it amazing when I haven't driven for a while and then see how lower I am than everyone else.

Glass breaker - good idea, I should get one.

With tinted side windows, how much more difficulty will it be to break the glass? The glass thickness on our cars is insanely deep.
I've thought about that, some people have mentioned keeping something more substantial in the car but I figure I'll be fairly motivated to get that window out of the way with the breaker I have if the car is on fire. I don't drive it that much anyway so I'll just roll the dice lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have an F-4 canopy breaker tool to hack out of the windshield and a fire extinguisher behind the drivers seat, if I can't get to them, I'm probably already dead. Number comes up, your done

·
@ChaseZimmerman
239 Posts
I rolled my Murci yesterday. Opened the window and climbed out. Nothing to it.
Please tell me you're joking! I just read that like it was no big deal... :eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone considered how to egress if the car is inverted? I recall seen an article of two people burnt to death because they couldn't get out of an overturned Murci. Being a pilot, I'm always considering and want to be prepared for the worst case scenario. I have an emergency seat belt cutter and hammer.

I apologize in advance for posting such a macabre subject, but it's something that's been bugging me since getting the car.
kinda scary.
Maybe open the door before impact like your supposed to in an airplane :D

On a serious note, having that window hammer is prob the best thing you can have in any car. Im not sure how much use the fire extinguisher would be after a crash like that.

Anthony

·
Registered
LP640
2,175 Posts
If for some reason the side windows don't go down, unscrew the shifter and bash out a window. Unless you're egear :D

There's always the Countach (and DeLorean) method, kick out the windshield.

Anyone have a fire extinguisher in the car? If so where do you mount it?
I picked up the Element Fire Extinguisher (on Jay Leno's garage) and threw it in the the compartment behind the driver's seat. Hope to never use it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My biggest fear is rolling inverted into a creek or river. Thinking a glass hammer is probably the best option. I saw the Leno's Garage video where Jay Leno said that the glass hammer was actually an option on the Countach.

Either way, it is going to be tuff to get out if the Murci is inverted.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Who do you fly for?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I too got an Element Fire Extinguisher and added their carbon fiber holder and keep it in the space next to the passenger seat. The assembly fits perfectly there and is always a talking point at car shows.

As for a glass breaker a spring loaded center punch is a great way to break a window. They are small, cheap, and fit neatly in the center arm rest pocket. Here is a link to one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/spring-loaded-center-punch-621.html

BTW: Great tip on using the shifter of a gated car as a glass breaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
I too got an Element Fire Extinguisher and added their carbon fiber holder and keep it in the space next to the passenger seat. The assembly fits perfectly there and is always a talking point at car shows.

As for a glass breaker a spring loaded center punch is a great way to break a window. They are small, cheap, and fit neatly in the center arm rest pocket. Here is a link to one:

I like the idea of that spring loaded center punch.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts

Never thought about that mate. Good idea to have a contingency plan.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts

They look the go mate.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts