Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder pre LP.

I have just had a local mechanic (based in New Zealand) do a Egear Seal replacement/recon job. Only issue I had was there was leakage of Egear fluid, no issues with trans.

Since the work done, after about 2 hours worth of driving the car will refuse to go from 3rd to second. It will try to go into Gear by blipping multiple times then just default back to the gear it was in. However, I can double shift down from 4th to 2nd no issues, and go from 2nd to 3rd no problem. The robotized selectors have been accessed and inspected and there is no play, so these are fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this very specific issue?

Cheers

·
Registered
761 Posts
I wonder if you have to bleed the eGear system, since there was a leak that was repaired. Seems like if there are bubbles, it wouldn't be able to complete various shifts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if you have to bleed the eGear system, since there was a leak that was repaired. Seems like if there are bubbles, it wouldn't be able to complete various shifts?
Yes, it was bled and the car gearing retrained. However a possibility could be air in the system, although my mechanic seems to think otherwise as it would impact more than just 1 gear selector.

Fingers crossed - gosh frustrating aye, thanks for your response.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree, I'd expect it to affect more than one gear. I heard of stranger things happening though. I'd say to bleed it a couple more times, or just drain and refill and bleed. It's cheaper than swapping out parts. Otherwise, I can't imagine that leak having had messed up something like the actuators, hopefully someone else chimes in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, I'd expect it to affect more than one gear. I heard of stranger things happening though. I'd say to bleed it a couple more times, or just drain and refill and bleed. It's cheaper than swapping out parts. Otherwise, I can't imagine that leak having had messed up something like the actuators, hopefully someone else chimes in.
Cheers. Update, upgraded trans oil has been used and system bled and still issues. Only with that Gear 3rd to 2nd, man its a strange one. Perhaps maybe the clutch, gosh its hard work lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well at least it's consistent...
Update problem now solved.

So the untechnical version (Im not the best at this lol) - When the Egear was put back together after the refurb, there is a mechanical arm that moves forward and backwards - left and right on a fixed flat plate. This robotic thing (love the technical here!) was secured by bolts, which have a torque rating. Mechanic explained that due to heat the threads were somewhat warped meaning the torque rating was reached which meant that over a bit of time the bolt began to come loose, which increased play in the selector - short version, tightened now and all good - fingers crossed.

Good news is no additional cost.

Important to note I think for future reference how important it is to look at what sometimes is viewed as coincidence by the dealer or mechanic. Any job that was done should be looked at first to make sure its correct and not causing the issue. Coincidence can happen, but I guarantee the likelihood is checking the job first and that being the issue.

Cheers again for your help.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Weird since in your first post they inidicated that there was no play in the robotic arm (aka, actuator) after having accessed and inspected it.

But, in any case, glad they managed to track it down and thanks for posting the update!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weird since in your first post they indicated that there was no play in the robotic arm (aka, actuator) after having accessed and inspected it.

But, in any case, glad they managed to track it down and thanks for posting the update!
Yes, that might be my poor explanation, maybe I'll try clarifying.

The original part inspected was for the Keys (non technical term), they look like fingers and they are the specific selectors. The bounce backwards and forwards. There was no play in these.

The second, confirming the play element due to bad torque on nut, was inside part of the egear system itself and was a different component to above. Its like a rectangular box, with a flat bed of metal and an arm (singular that goes forwards backwards and rotates left to right). Gosh, maybe I just not need to try explain. But this was secured onto the metal flat pad, inside, and it was slightly loose.

Either way, yes glad they tracked it down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts