Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that ECU voids warranty. And also that it does not. I have also read that "as long as you restore it to stock before leaving it for warranty/service there will be no issue"... But as far as I know its possible to see in the ECU log that its been modified at some point.

So, to finally solve this mystery once for all...
What is your experience with having an ecu-tuned for e.g Huracan and leaving it for warranty?
Did they deny/cancel your warranty?
Did you restore it to stock and then re-installed it afterwards?

All input based on experience is welcome.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,470 Posts
I did an ECU tune on my 2018 and when I took it in for service I removed the tune and then put it back after I got the car. From what I was told, it will void your warranty if it can be proven responsible for whatever went wrong. Also I was told that they can read the ECU and see that it had been modified, but my dealer never mentioned anything to me, but I did not have any warranty issues.

Reactions: Rcasa20

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
You will never get the definitive answer you are looking for on this since there is none. Most likely they will not pick up the tune because they are not scanning for one like Audi does. so minor problems will not likely be a problem. But lets say you have a major engine or transmission failure they may look for a tune and even if you remove it they will find it and could use that to deny warranty. Also tune would not void your entire warranty, just powertrain. If you are going to tune you need to go into it knowing your warranty could very well be effected, was on both my R8's that I tuned before totally throwing out powertrain warranty with supercharging

Reactions: asmazda and Russk

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
I am going to do a new ECU tune on my EVO, but I wanted to at least get 1000 to 1500 miles on it. I am counting on if anything goes wrong it will happen before then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Supercharging or turbocharging I get, but I really don't see the point of risking warranty over just tune by itself on NA motor. And on RWD, the car is already verge of being overpowered for just 2 wheels.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I havent seen anyone post a dyno graph yet for RWD EVO tune results. I would probably do a tune if it picks up 25-30whp.

This is the only video I've seen and it doesn't display power at the wheels.

I don't think the car is close to being overpowered. Just needs better tires. I am guessing these cars make around 500whp stock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have DME tune on my RWD Evo and you can tell a difference. Definitely worth it. All the people doing turbos and superchargers without issues I doubt a tune could hurt anything. I plan to have it dyno'd at my buddys shop soon, after I'll post the numbers.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have DME tune on my RWD Evo and you can tell a difference. Definitely worth it. All the people doing turbos and superchargers without issues I doubt a tune could hurt anything. I plan to have it dyno'd at my buddys shop soon, after I'll post the numbers.
Would love to see the numbers.

I saw on a VF supercharged video they got 506rwhp peak on their dyno.

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
Supercharging or turbocharging I get, but I really don't see the point of risking warranty over just tune by itself on NA motor. And on RWD, the car is already verge of being overpowered for just 2 wheels.
When I did my 580 it made a considerable difference, and it certainly wasn’t too much for the car. The increase in torque was immediately noticeable and the exhaust note was crazy good.
I guess if these cars had many known mechanical issues I wouldn’t risk it, but the Huracan is solid and I don’t put a lot of mileage on mine so for me it was well worth it. I still haven’t decided yet with my EVO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My thing with these cars is that they are essentially DETUNED so a tune brings them back to baseline. Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have much of a primary source, but I do think I read this in Motortrend or Road and Track plus it's common across many other OEMs) but the only difference between the AWD EVO and RWD EVO HP difference (20 HP) is engine programming.

Sure, that programming is done for a reason...probably to keep the RWD slightly easier to control, but hell with turbo charged and super charged huracans putting out 1000+ HP I think you'll be fine.

What I'm getting at is I trust a tune more than I trust anything else because you're bringing the engine back to where it should be before they threw some training wheels on it.

This is different than trying to stretch a 300hp turbo 6 engine into a 600 hp engine where the tune, bigger turbos, etc. may very well blow it since the engine isn't built for that type of power. These NA 10 engines are totally fine with an extra +50HP and I bet they would be making that (if not more) from the factory before Lamborghini dials them back (detunes).

·
Registered
47 Posts
My thing with these cars is that they are essentially DETUNED so a tune brings them back to baseline. Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have much of a primary source, but I do think I read this in Motortrend or Road and Track plus it's common across many other OEMs) but the only difference between the AWD EVO and RWD EVO HP difference (20 HP) is engine programming.

Sure, that programming is done for a reason...probably to keep the RWD slightly easier to control, but hell with turbo charged and super charged huracans putting out 1000+ HP I think you'll be fine.

What I'm getting at is I trust a tune more than I trust anything else because you're bringing the engine back to where it should be before they threw some training wheels on it.

This is different than trying to stretch a 300hp turbo 6 engine into a 600 hp engine where the tune, bigger turbos, etc. may very well blow it since the engine isn't built for that type of power. These NA 10 engines are totally fine with an extra +50HP and I bet they would be making that (if not more) from the factory before Lamborghini dials them back (detunes).
I was primarily talking about AWD and made side comment about the RWD. AWD is so fast is extra 30HP going to make noticeable difference? On RWD, I totally get it to bring it back to what the engine should be. But regardless AWD or RWD, is it worth risking warranty issue? I'm not saying tune will damage the car and I've had most of my cars tuned... but Lambo might deny a warranty claim because of it.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
You wont get the same gain on the AWD, RWD has more room for gain since it is detuned. I did the the VF tune on my LP610, didnt notice much gain on that car but I did it because I knew I would be getting their supercharger installed and that made the tune free

Reactions: asmazda

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't think it's worth the risk for a measly few HP. If you're going to void the P/T warranty, do it for the right reasons...like a blower or T/C with some serious gains you can feel, not what you hope you "might" feel...

30 HP isn't something very evident. I have never done tune only, unless the car was a T/C / blower car to start with that could tune another 120+ HP without adding parts...(911 TT/S for example)

They can easily find it if they're looking - even if you dumped it. There are flags that get set when you mod the tune and they can't be reset by removing the tune, unless the tuner knows how to write code for that...and that, maybe not possible either. The flags are there specifically for that reason.

I have seen so many Vette's have their warranty voided for simple tunes...it's just not worth the risk.

In short, Go big or go home!

Reactions: asmazda
1 - 14 of 14 Posts