Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I have a 1991 Diablo that misses horribly when I reach ~6200 RPMs. I have replaced the plugs, plug wires, dist cap and rotor. The car has been timed and I have a spare ECU which was installed for each side of the engine and still am no closer than when I started looking for the problem. The car runs great until I reach 6200 RPMs. My mechanic swears the problem is in the ignition. Have any of you expierenced this problem before?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Sorry to say, but your so called Mechanic/parts changer sounds like he may be an idiot!!!

You admit you threw a bunchof parts at the engine without ever knowing what the "real problem" was in the first place. That type of dart throwing will get EXPENSIVE real quick with Lamborghinis!!!!

How about Performing a few "TESTS" before you break the darts back out????

1- CO & HC readings at Idle and 2500 rpms

Once I have those numbers I might be able to define the rest of the test list!!!

I should mention that Early Diablos were very suceptable to "plugged Cats".

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Also another thing, the first series of Diablos had massive problems with the MM Coils, a club member had the coils replaced 3 times!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Raymond,

yes you are right the early cars had coil problems. But I have never seen a coil problem cause the type of high rpm issue mentioned. What I've seen with coils was either a constant miss all the way thru or just a dead bank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ign. prob.

It is poss that you have bad coil or coils, but would recommend that you
also ck. phase sensor timing. If it is a little off have seen it cause this
malfunction.

·
Registered
88 Posts
you might want to hook an external tach up to the car to see if the stock tach is reading correctly. you could be overrevving the car and shutting down the injectors. I have had my FI phase sensors out of whack on my car and it will still redline.
dave

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jeff

Does he know Diablos if not you may only want him to check the oil..

I had the same problem but a bit lower rpm... changed all the parts you have as they needed to anyway but it was a coil on my car.. I replaceed it with a Facit part.. I would not like to say it is that.. do you know anyone who has a 2wd you can swap coils with to try...

Carlo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.