Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a easy/affordable way to get flexfuel or pure e85 compatibility for our cars?

Regular fuel is getting increasingly expensive and if our goverment is going to raise the price to over 2€/l id really want to be ready for cheap e85.

I know of the expensive ecu upgrade (22k+) but would be interested if theres some easy ecu tune or something out there for this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
So is E85 cheap in Finland? In Sweden E85 was cheaper when it was introduced more than 15 years ago, but the past 10 years it hasn’t been cheaper running E85 (you need 30-35% more compared to gasoline).
But it’s still an awesome fuel for highly boosted cars ♥

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is E85 cheap in Finland? In Sweden E85 was cheaper when it was introduced more than 15 years ago, but the past 10 years it hasn’t been cheaper running E85 (you need 30-35% more compared to gasoline).
But it’s still an awesome fuel for highly boosted cars ♥
Its cheaper than gas even with the slightly increased fuel consumption. Its not necessarily 30% increase even thought the stoich is indeed 30% more since you can run e85 tunes leaner on low loads.
The gas prices might go up by 40cents here this year so thats why im asking early, running e85 0.9 - 1.1€ per l vs 98e5 1.6-2.1€ per l.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Okay, the E85 price is basically the same in Sweden an Finland.
Be sure to check that all components that are in contact with fuel or oil are specified for E85 usage. I’ve seen modern cars really not appreciating E85 at all and Lambo repairs are not cheap 😱
Personally I would not risk it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not a big issue really, all modern cars 00 up can handle e85, only issue really are:
-fuel pumps althought its no big deal to swap them if needed
-injectors (dunno what the stock gallardo injector size is and neither if theyre big enough stock for e85?)
-tune, who can do it or do i need 3rd party ecus or what, would really be interested to know how the TT/SC guys do it?

I could just remove the stock ecus and rewire the whole electronic system to run off wasted spark or full seq with 2 ecus but thats so much work that id really want to see if there is any "easy" way to do this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not all modern cars. Converted a GM HFV6 engine to E85. It ended up destroying the valve seals so the valve did not move freely and that made the cam mechanism come apart.

In a standard ECU it’s pretty basic. Change the fuel constant to correspond to the new injectors. Increase the working range of the lambda controller and the fuel adaption. On Bosch systems they are usually around 25%, so increase them to 60%. And increase the diagnostic thresholds for the corresponding diagnostics. And increase the start fuel amounts.
Thats it. Then the lambda controller will do all the work.
The down side is that when you run gasoline, the starts will be a little rich, but that is usually not a big issue. Also the fuel and air related diagnostic will be less effective.
The tricky part is to be able to do the changes in the ECU and finding where to change. It’s mainly constants😬

1 - 7 of 7 Posts