Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was backing my '06 Gallardo put of the garage when it surged and died. I restarted it and continued to the street where I discovered that it would shift only into first and second gears. It showed what appeared to be a sensor symbol on the dash.
What are others experiences with this kind of problem, solution, causes?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Can you upload a pic of the symbol?

When you restated the car did you continue to have surging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
e-gear

Don't know how to post pic; but it looks like a jagged line above with some sort of selector below. It's shown on page 38 of my owners manual and indicates an e-gear malfunction (limp mode). No surging after the initial event.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The eGear failure symbol often comes up when the clutch is gone. Happend to me last summer.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Def sounds like limp mode. Check fluid level for egear. Maybe disconnect your batt. for 10 minutes and test out

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Your battery may be low. Charge it over night to see if that helps.

Check the battery terminal also for a clean and tight connection.

·
Registered
968 Posts
A few possibilities:

Check your E-gear pump
check your E-gear accumulator
check your E-gear actuator
check your E-gear relay
It is a right solution. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
It sucks every time there is a post about egear problems.

Why is the e-gear so random? Is there any preventive measures to make them more reliable? Or there is no choice but to wait for the problems to occur.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It sucks every time there is a post about egear problems.

Why is the e-gear so random? Is there any preventive measures to make them more reliable? Or there is no choice but to wait for the problems to occur.
I'm not sure it's that random or common given the total number of posts. There are a far larger percentage of PDK and transmission related problems on the Porsche forums then I ever see here. Yes there are far more posts in general but I'm talking about the number of transmission related posts versus the total number of posts on the forum. I don't have any numbers to back that up but that's my perception from frequenting both forums on a daily basis.

Outside of clutch wear(normal), pump becoming less efficient over time(normal), and automated manual transmissions being sensitive to battery voltage(normal) I don't see a glut of failure posts. The pumps usually slow down and start taking 10 seconds to prime when you open the door so you have some indication of failure. Clutches and batteries can be tested at service intervals to give you a good idea of when those need replacement.

I don't think it's a perfect system by any means but the general failures I see are mostly predictable and not all that common. You also have to remember that people in general are far more likely to post about problems then about not having problems. The intermediate shaft failures on the Porsche forum are a great example. As far as anyone can tell 3-5% of cars have had a failure depending on the source(I believe Porsche has claimed under 1%). For long periods of time 30-40% of posts are about IMS and the FUD around IMS.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
There are many egear driving techniques that have been discussed a million times. These techniques improve clutch life, reduce failure of the system, give a less jerky engagement in first gear.

One practice for reliability is put the car in Neutral when you are about to come to a stop. Leave it in N while in traffic. If you don't, the system continues to build high pressure in the egear system. Needless to say, this wears the throw out bearing, all the lines, pumps etc. while some advocate pressing the brake and leaving car in gear is better, I disagree when you are sitting in traffic.

I won't cover many other tips. Search is your friend

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm not sure it's that random or common given the total number of posts. There are a far larger percentage of PDK and transmission related problems on the Porsche forums then I ever see here. Yes there are far more posts in general but I'm talking about the number of transmission related posts versus the total number of posts on the forum. I don't have any numbers to back that up but that's my perception from frequenting both forums on a daily basis.

Outside of clutch wear(normal), pump becoming less efficient over time(normal), and automated manual transmissions being sensitive to battery voltage(normal) I don't see a glut of failure posts. The pumps usually slow down and start taking 10 seconds to prime when you open the door so you have some indication of failure. Clutches and batteries can be tested at service intervals to give you a good idea of when those need replacement.

I don't think it's a perfect system by any means but the general failures I see are mostly predictable and not all that common. You also have to remember that people in general are far more likely to post about problems then about not having problems. The intermediate shaft failures on the Porsche forum are a great example. As far as anyone can tell 3-5% of cars have had a failure depending on the source(I believe Porsche has claimed under 1%). For long periods of time 30-40% of posts are about IMS and the FUD around IMS.
What meant about random is the mileage. I issue seem to occur regardless of the mileage low or high.

I actually really like the e-gear, more fun(dramatic) than the dual clutch of the GT-R.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What meant about random is the mileage. I issue seem to occur regardless of the mileage low or high.

I actually really like the e-gear, more fun(dramatic) than the dual clutch of the GT-R.
Gotcha! My apologies, I either misunderstood or had a reading comprehension issue.

Those issues are still somewhat predictable. The original clutches had really poor clutch life. The later ones seem pretty predictable. Like all clutches they don't like being lugged through traffic and slipped a lot like in automatic mode. Backing up a slope is reported to be a clutch killer in these cars. My wife and I share some manual vehicles and we get 80-100k from a clutch on the normal cars. I know other people that replace the same clutch at 20k. A lot of it comes down to conditions and driver but it's still pretty predictable.

When I purchased my 2012 car a few months ago and saw the clutch reading the dealership had at 10,500 miles I was a little disappointed. It was about 50% and the last 50 wears faster. I had guessed it would have 70%. Guys that did the PPI ran the clutch numbers several times, once right in front of me, turns out...it was at 74%. Pleasant surprise and right in line with what I expected of a decently driven car in it's great condition and said mileage.

·
Registered
927 Posts
There is a 2007 Gallardo with 9K miles and I was told they just replaced the clutch. Is this strange?

Not really from my experience. I'd say car is driving sporty. Could be driving in "auto" as well.

Of course there is the possibility of a defective clutch or other issue with the system that cause for a fast wear.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would a PPI find anything when it comes to the e-gear system not only the clutch wear?
Depends on the PPI..it's not really a standard thing and everyone has a different checklist. But the answer is yes with a good PPI. I was advised on clutch life, visual inspection on leaks and hoses and that the pump was in good shape. I think there where some other items in regards to the e-gear but I can't specifically recall since it was all good news.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on my e-gear problem; after much testing, the tech has diagnosed an accumulator problem. It is being removed for rebuild and reinstall. Should have it back in couple of weeks. I'm told this is a rare thing to go bad, so took much testing to verify.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts