Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!

Going to local dealer tomorrow (friday) looking at new 05 Gallardo :)
Not sure which to buy. I hate being in the shop with cars except occasionally. I need opinons. Any and all will help me make a better educated decision. I plan to drive this car about 8000 miles per year. After all that's why I believe you buy these not to look at.
What type of services issues IE: 7500 15000 and 30000 mile service expense cost. Comparing to 360 spiders.

In advance thanks for you help and support! :wave:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry, don't agree.

I drove both (several times) before deciding which to purchase - and went for the e-gear. The choice was so.... obvious.

Some say that the manual is "more involving". Rubbish. If this was the case, then let's go back to crash gearboxes and double-de-clutching for every gear change. (Like wise I don't believe that valve sound systems are necessarily better than solid state, except perhaps in guitar amplifiers :) or than vinyl records are better than CD).

The Gallardo excels in high speed performance, especially on twisty roads, mountains, hairpins etc. The e-gear allows maximum driver concentration, performance and safety under these conditions with two hands firmly placed on the wheel. The stability and road holding resulting from the four wheel drive is awesome, and the e-gear allows you to explore this to it's fullest.

And in a straight line in Sports mode, I doubt that few drivers in a manual G car would be able to get the car back on the power with such seamless delivery as happens EVERY TIME with the e-gear. Back down through the gears is pretty neat too especially when you are powering fast into corners and maximising the incredible late braking power that this car offers.

E-gear allows you to drive this car real real hard, and with added safety.

The only downside I have found to the e-gear is that is a little "clunky" in stop-start traffic when it drops back to first, say when approaching traffic lights etc., but you can pull it directly into neutral from second, instead, which makes for a very smooth stop.

So, for me, I have absolutely no doubt that e-gear was the best choice, and that would have to be my recommendation, for anyone agonising over this decision!

But at the end of the day, it's really a personal choice. The 6 speed is pretty damn good also, and certainly will not dissapoint in the slightest - far from it. Probably just depends in what you are after, in a car.

I also have no doubt that the "manual" proponents will now take great delight in trying to shoot me down for my support of the e-gear . Go for it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
E-gear basically is great, but it's hard to drive smooth during traffic and the shifting (with version II) is not as quick as expected.

·
Registered
188 Posts
bunkhound said:
Sorry, don't agree.

I drove both (several times) before deciding which to purchase - and went for the e-gear. The choice was so.... obvious.

Some say that the manual is "more involving". Rubbish. If this was the case, then let's go back to crash gearboxes and double-de-clutching for every gear change. (Like wise I don't believe that valve sound systems are necessarily better than solid state, except perhaps in guitar amplifiers :) or than vinyl records are better than CD).

The Gallardo excels in high speed performance, especially on twisty roads, mountains, hairpins etc. The e-gear allows maximum driver concentration, performance and safety under these conditions with two hands firmly placed on the wheel. The stability and road holding resulting from the four wheel drive is awesome, and the e-gear allows you to explore this to it's fullest.

And in a straight line in Sports mode, I doubt that few drivers in a manual G car would be able to get the car back on the power with such seamless delivery as happens EVERY TIME with the e-gear. Back down through the gears is pretty neat too especially when you are powering fast into corners and maximising the incredible late braking power that this car offers.

E-gear allows you to drive this car real real hard, and with added safety.

The only downside I have found to the e-gear is that is a little "clunky" in stop-start traffic when it drops back to first, say when approaching traffic lights etc., but you can pull it directly into neutral from second, instead, which makes for a very smooth stop.

So, for me, I have absolutely no doubt that e-gear was the best choice, and that would have to be my recommendation, for anyone agonising over this decision!

But at the end of the day, it's really a personal choice. The 6 speed is pretty damn good also, and certainly will not dissapoint in the slightest - far from it. Probably just depends in what you are after, in a car.

I also have no doubt that the "manual" proponents will now take great delight in trying to shoot me down for my support of the e-gear . Go for it!

I have to agree I went there to buy a 6 speed and drove both.
The E gear then had parking/low`spped problems. No way no how would I have a manual in this car...PERIOD! I put 12,000 miles` on it the first year.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
After 20,000km in my e-gear, I'm with Bunkhound and G-Force.

The e-gear is the Gallardo's best feature, IMO. :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
...not to start an argument, but I drove the eGear and the manual; and I did not feel that the eGear shifted fast at all. I prefered the manual; (at least) I shifted it faster the the computer did, imo.
Jake

·
Registered
173 Posts
i've only briefly driven an E-gear (cheers mhh :wave: ) and only in a fairly open-road setting, but from a guy who's barely even sat in a car with more than 60 stonking horses, i couldn't believe how easy it was to drive. my many hours on video games and driving simulators served me well.

for hard driving and carving up hilly country i agree the e-gear is the obvious choice, far more control and concentration available for tarmac positioning and driving at the limit, and from the passenger seat, it appears to perform flawlessly under high pressure and instills a lot of confidence.

but at heart i'm a classic car fan and love tactile response, so for normal commuting and basic spirited driving, i'd prefer 6-on-the-floor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.