Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, we all love the SL style wing in its' many forms available for the Gallardo. It makes sense, attaches in the factory location, and completes the look...... but how about something different for a change. I understand this is difficult because we are a small niche to begin with, and not everybody wants to modify their G. It's likely not a good investment for the people who design and manufacture these things due to expectation of realistically low sales figures. I get it. I mod just about everything I get my hands on and this time is no different (I bought my LP spyder a month ago) but am now realizing the exclusivity, and lack of aftermarket support as you find with 'normal' cars. No Ricky Road Racer stuff :poop: !! Anyway, I am trying out my own experiment to fit a low profile wing style to the back of a Spyder while retaining the factory aero function and NOT drilling or altering the body in any way. So far the project has not crashed and burned, but if it does I want it to look as if I never tried, plus someday the car can still be reverted back to factory should a new owner so desire. The piece is finished, the 4 attachment brackets are made, trial fit has worked (the top has gone up and down without bracket contact) and it's off to the body shop appoint. in 3 days. I'm excited the way it looks so far but obviously I'm biased, as it's my work, time, and money involved and hopefully I'm not lying to myself. I guess this is a good outlet for input..... It didn't occur to me to take pictures of the trial fit because I also have the rear grille out at the powercoater going gloss black (3 weeks now I sure hope they didn't melt it) so it's not looking very pretty at the moment. Here are a couple pics (minus the brackets and third brake light) that I DID take and were sent to my bodyshop guys :
wing before 005.JPG
wing before 006.JPG

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The first part is done, 'stage 1' to call it. This involved replacing the factory aero wing (w/ the camera and the third brake light) to the early 04-05 unit that had neither. My camera is mounted above the license plate for better accuracy and updated touch screen. My third brake light will be part of 'stage 2', the spoiler in the above post. Here are some pics of that but please excuse the lighting, the fingerprints, and the fact that the grille is still at the powdercoater. It is a carbon fiber accent, which from the rear (with stage 2 installed) will be completely unseen until that certain speed raises it up just enough so whoever (your pulling away from, and no I can't make it wave bye-bye) can then see the carbon fiber filling in that void between the two ends on stage 2. ----- TIP#1 , as I suspected there was a way to raise/lower the aero wing manually to ease install. It's not easily accessible either but it's better than removing those 4 pins and c-clips (which turns out I had to do ANYWAY because those metal brackets had to be changed as well, see tip#2). On the backside, facing the carbon lid of course so you have to unbolt the motor from the lid is an allen Hex that only needs one complete turn clockwise or counter to move the wing all the way up or all the way down. Not sure if it matters but I made sure to return it to the position it was in before I touched it. I could not find the size marking on my allen wrench but it was smaller than 5mm, so probably 4.5mm or 4mm.... TIP#2 The metal brackets that attach to the bottom of the aero wing are NOT interchangable when switching style of wings. The third brake light wing has the two rear torx screws in a lower location than on the early or wing without the third brake light !!! Makes sense but I didn't change them at first and struggled for a while wondering why I couldn't get those holes to align..... wing stage 1 007.JPG wing stage 1 002.JPG wing stage 1 004.JPG wing stage 1 001.JPG

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work. I have the SL wing on mine and eventually want something different. Everyone goes with the same wings on these cars
Thanks, still have my fingers crossed that it turns out looking like something that belongs there, and not some hack job. The 3rd brake light situation is kind of iffy....We'll see soon enough. The SL wing is the obvious choice because it looks like it belongs there, it's not overdone like some versions out there (for the street anyway) and it's secure, holds up well, and is completely reversible. I'm always up for a challenge when I see an opportunity to do something different, so here we go again !

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last trial fit, goes to paint shop tomorrow morning. Needs a small tweak on Driver's side, but so close I won't worry about it until after the paint shop because it wasn't 100% tightened down. Will go completely gloss black except for the strip of light blue you can see there will be the red of the third brake light. All the red you CAN see right now on it will be gloss black as well. Plus the aluminum reinforcement strip will disappear to black.......second picture is a bit askew, couldn't reach my camera far enough over to get it in the middle ! wing stage 2 002.JPG wing stage 2 005.JPG wing stage 2 007.JPG wing stage 2 010.JPG wing stage 2 009.JPG

Reactions: Strappd

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, so WHY isn't there ?? IS it because we a niche market and development cost exceeds the potential for return profits? I'm new to owning this type of car so perhaps I can expect some abuse from peers for NOT going status quo...... If nobody makes what you're after, make it yourself. I like such a challenge, let's see how it turns out

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can see here now from just this one attempt, that the issue is going to be the attachment mechanism. The brackets have to be individually fitted, hand made for each car. If there is any significant variance in clearance tolerances (E.g. decklid edge thickness, panel spacing, etc)...bracket design would need to factor in tolerance range and allow for adjustment. These car are hand built, right ?? On the Spyder there is roughly 1/4" spacing at the rear of the deck-lid from the rear finish panel, and the deck-lid MOVES

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will install the second piece w/ brake light shortly............ G wheels & stage1 022 - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting closer to fit. Needs adjustment. Driving over bumps triggers the Engine lid 'not secure' message so the rear latch is not fully engaged....

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, made the adjustment I thought needed, seems better but STILL triggers the 'not secure' message and beeps over rough road. I haven't addressed, adjusted, or lubed the rear latching mechanism and wonder if that's the problem all along ?? I finally got a picture w/ the brake light on. Some interesting, not expected light play going on with the reflection from the spoiler.... wonder what that will look like at Night !
007.jpg

·
Vendor
2,578 Posts
I gotta hand it to ya, looks pretty cool!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gotta hand it to ya, looks pretty cool!
Hey thanks Jason !! --- I know you have MANY customers but I'm the one who recently purchased your Sprint Booster and didn't install it yet because I want to get familiar w/ how the car drives stock. THEN install it and Experience what others are raving about. I have EDC wheels and EDCVin recommends the Swift Springs and supposedly you might have a good deal on those as well ??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts