Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out the other night that as an American I can become an Italian citizen as well thanks to my grandparents being born in Sicily. My Uncle is the family historian and is going to get me as much information as he can on the blood lines. Have any of you gone through this process? If so, is there a company you recommend or can it be done directly with Italy? Any idea on costs? Timeframe? I'm going to reach out to a couple of firms for free consultations once I get the info from my Uncle but thought I would check in with all you Italian-car lovers while I wait for the info. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I just found out the other night that as an American I can become an Italian citizen as well thanks to my grandparents being born in Sicily. My Uncle is the family historian and is going to get me as much information as he can on the blood lines. Have any of you gone through this process? If so, is there a company you recommend or can it be done directly with Italy? Any idea on costs? Timeframe? I'm going to reach out to a couple of firms for free consultations once I get the info from my Uncle but thought I would check in with all you Italian-car lovers while I wait for the info. Thanks!!
Ancestry.com is pretty good. You can search for family name records, etc,.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was able to get my Italian citizenship recognized by juris sanguine (my grandfather was born in Italy). at the time I was living in Dublin, Ireland, and managed to do all the process myself. is a bit tedious sorting all the documents all the way thru the Italian-born family individual, then translating to Italian yada yada, but it worked thru. from the application time until I got the paperwork and passport it took about 1 yr.

I recommend you get in contact with the nearest Italian embassy, but also googling it will get you directions to all the requirements so you can start working on producing these docs.

an attorney would most likely make it easier, but in the end, you gotta hand him this pile of docs anyway.

good luck! it pays off. I get ballots in the mail for election and when flying to Europe no longer waiting in immigration. just scan your passport and the doors open wide :)

ciao

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to get my Italian citizenship recognized by juris sanguine (my grandfather was born in Italy). at the time I was living in Dublin, Ireland, and managed to do all the process myself. is a bit tedious sorting all the documents all the way thru the Italian-born family individual, then translating to Italian yada yada, but it worked thru. from the application time until I got the paperwork and passport it took about 1 yr.

I recommend you get in contact with the nearest Italian embassy, but also googling it will get you directions to all the requirements so you can start working on producing these docs.

an attorney would most likely make it easier, but in the end, you gotta hand him this pile of docs anyway.

good luck! it pays off. I get ballots in the mail for election and when flying to Europe no longer waiting in immigration. just scan your passport and the doors open wide :)

ciao
Perfect!!!

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dumb american question......why? Most people on this forum have good reasons for doing these sorts of things. What would be the benefit of this?
As @cenzo.garage mentioned, travel access is the big one, the ability to purchase property more easily is another, and if I get it then my daughter can and her future kids. Which means they can go to Europe for college without some of the hassles that a non-European citizen has to deal with. And if I can why wouldn’t I.

·
Registered
808 Posts
As @cenzo.garage mentioned, travel access is the big one, the ability to purchase property more easily is another, and if I get it then my daughter can and her future kids. Which means they can go to Europe for college without some of the hassles that a non-European citizen has to deal with. And if I can why wouldn’t I.
All makes amazing sense. Something I may look into, My great grandmother was born in Italy, however that maybe too far out. Regardless, I never thought of this, and I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All makes amazing sense. Something I may look into, My great grandmother was born in Italy, however that maybe too far out. Regardless, I never thought of this, and I appreciate it!
Great grandmother should count. Beyond that you’d be out unless your parent obtained and then you applied. There are some age quirks too. Since my mom was born after 1947 she can get but her older siblings cannot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts