Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reviewing the service history of the "LOUD V12" Downdraft QV Countach. AL Burtoni's Milano Imports in October of 2000 did a complete engine restoration and clutch to the tune of $30,000.00 The car has essentially a 4 year old motor and drive train with 5,000 miles on it. The paint (mostly original) is one of the few painted in Pearl White. The engine is a 10 but the paint is a 7 mabe a 8. The question is....If I spend $25,000 for a bare metal restoration paint job that the car deserves, do I re do the Pearl White or go for what I prefer, Regular White? I would never change a cars color like a red car to white or black, but is it such a big deal to go from Pearl-White to White-White? The fact is I want a White/White Downdraft QV and have found it.....sort of. If I go for the Concours paint job GLA12989 will be in fully restored show condition and in my opinion she would look better as a triple white Countach as seen in these pictures..... the only thing is that in the picture it looks white, but in person the white is metalic with a little silver / yellowing that pearls have.

Can I get a vote

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tony.......you should paint the car the color you wish. It's not as if you changing to say midnight blue or red......that would probally be too extreme. I do not believe that the color or shade change you wish will in anyway lower the value of the vehicle. For that kind of money...get what you want.

Frank
83 Jalpa

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree with Frank, but you should not deprive the world of a Pearl White CT either. That is the most amazing color of them all!

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rovingtravler said:
I agree with Frank, but you should not deprive the world of a Pearl White CT either. That is the most amazing color of them all!
Have you seen it in person? The in person pearl white Countach is alot different than the pictures.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
peter_k said:
Keep the as it left Lamborghini. If you change, someone will put it back to original in 10-20 years.
Yeah, but in 10-20 years it might need to be re-done anyway, by that time a Downdraft QV being the most valuable now, will still be the most valuable and saught after Countach then. My guess is that the $120,000 Downdraft now, will be $200,000 by then if not sooner. So the paint cost would be of little consequence at that time. Just look what the Muira SV has done in the past 3 years. A Muira SV that was for sale in 2002 sold for $190,000 that same car just re-sold for $350,000 this year and the color was not original.

·
Administrator
5,166 Posts
I think the pearl white looks a little prissy for a Countach. I'd put it back to factory white. Leave the pearl for Cadillacs

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Keep it original

I asked a similar question a few months ago. The consensus was to keep it close to factory without any ratical change. I like the white and not pearl white.

·
Registered
205 Posts
91lamborestor said:
I asked a similar question a few months ago. The consensus was to keep it close to factory without any ratical change. I like the white and not pearl white.
I agree completely. Most posters on teenagers bedroom walls are white CTs. :)

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I wouldn't matter of white or pearl white, my criteria is only:
"does the paint still look ok or not?"

Since I don't have the big bucks to do a body restoration for $20k my car has to wait till it's really necessary. Mine is a driver not a shown piece which needs to be perfect, but "chacun à son gout"...

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
raymondo said:
I think the pearl white looks a little prissy for a Countach. I'd put it back to factory white. Leave the pearl for Cadillacs
I'm with you, but the factory color was Pearl White. Would that change your mind?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I say get what ever color you want. You've worked hard to own this car, now make it as you want it. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, who cares what anybody else thinks as long as your happy. Your the one who has to look at it everyday. Lamborghini never frowned on owners who wanted a little individuality, they actually joined in and completed custom work themselves. Besides I know from talking with you that you want what you like, and like what you want, and you'll never be completely satisfied until you get exactly what you want. I also know from our conversations that you'll also keep the car longer if it is done as you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tony -

John's right.....get what you like. Lambo paint (especially from that era) is not known to be all that great. AS you pointed out it doesn't seem to matter on Miura values whether or not the paint is original or even original color. If done properly, pearl is stunning. It does make the rock chips tough to match and can yellow in time.

Do what makes you happy - but my only other thought is this....... downdrafts deserve to be driven and driven hard. The first casualty of a $20,000 paint job will be the use of the car. It will become a permanent garage resident and despite what you think now the amount and nature of it's driving will change permanently. My car has very good paint, not perfect. I will enjoy the hell out of the car for years, and when I have either simply used it up or it's historical and collectable significance requires, I will restore it and take it to the occasional show. Til then I don't want to ruin it with cosmetics that will remove it's testicles.

Ciao!

Steve L.
'85 Countach QV downdraft

·
Registered
142 Posts
stay with that color. Usually any ground up restoration leads to some part missing the new paint and the results usually turn out less than desired. A respray of the body with the exact same color minimizes that problem and makes it look new. As to changing colors, that pearl white downdraft is the only pearl white downdraft I have seen. I would see it as a plus rather than a minus.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
qvpower said:
stay with that color. Usually any ground up restoration leads to some part missing the new paint and the results usually turn out less than desired. A respray of the body with the exact same color minimizes that problem and makes it look new. As to changing colors, that pearl white downdraft is the only pearl white downdraft I have seen. I would see it as a plus rather than a minus.

Thanks to all,

This would be a doors off, engine cover off hood, wing, air boxes all off bare metal restoration paint job, so there would be no old paint left in the cracks. However, I will give it some more thought and since the car will be laid up for 3 months to have that done, and considering the paint is really nice, just not to show standards, maybe I'll drive and enjoy it for a few months and live with the Pearl to see if it grows on me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tony:

I am new to Lamborghini-Talk but I agree with John. I would paint it the color you want. Either way, it will be an incredible car. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tim

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ya know, after thinking about it....if your parting with 100+ thousand dollars, make the car the way you want it. If you're spending 100+ grand, it better be to yur liking. :evil:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
peter_k said:
Ya know, after thinking about it....if your parting with 100+ thousand dollars, make the car the way you want it. If you're spending 100+ grand, it better be to yur liking. :evil:
Thanks Peter,

Other than the power of the downdraft and the fact that I'm 6'2" tall and fit better in the 5000 body Countach....I love your lowbody LP400S and when it was for sale I thought to myself would I want a blue Countach?... YES! It is a great color and even if I found a lowbody in a color other than red, white or black, I would keep it original, but since I don't know if there even is a White/White Downdraft in the US, I figured that changing to a brighter white as opposed changing color would not be frowned upon too much.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts