Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only use 93 in my Lambo but does it matter where you buy gas? I have a hellcat and others tell me to just use Shell stations.
my Lambo:

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
6,554 Posts
Agree, most of the major companies are fine. Things I avoid are the old gas stations just not sure if their holding tanks predate the Declaration of Independence and don't want all that potential tank sediment that has accumulated over the years. One other thing, I if I see a gas truck resupplying I wait for another day or move on to another station since concerned that the turbulence can put sediment in the gas and find it's way to pumps that are in use/active. 93 Octane is what I find and use in Texas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree, most of the major companies are fine. Things I avoid are the old gas stations just not sure if their holding tanks predate the Declaration of Independence and don't want all that potential tank sediment that has accumulated over the years. One other thing, I if I see a gas truck resupplying I wait for another day or move on to another station since concerned that the turbulence can put sediment in the gas and find it's way to pumps that are in use/active. 93 Octane is what I find and use in Texas.
Interesting about seeing gas trucks. I didn’t know that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mmmmmm, lots of rumors here. I own a petroleum station, so I know a thing or two about gas.

Diest, buy the highest octane available. If it’s 93, then buy that.

Second, most all stations go through a distributor, especially independents like me. The distributor picks up the gas at a supply terminal and then delivers to the station. Even though I’m an Exxon station, I‘m never certain to get my supply from the same terminal. So it is not always guaranteed to be Exxon gas.

The good news is that refineries produce high octane gas which varies little across the board, if at all.

All MPDs (gas pumps) have filters at point of use, so any potential particulates are filtered out.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Agree, filters yes, barriers no there clearly has to be flow..................I prefer to wait.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There were times when the brand of gas did matter. For instance, Amoco had a cult-like following in the south because of their white gas. But regulations (which also removed TEL, or tetra ethyl lead) have greatly tightened up the specifications of gasoline. Octane rating is a scientific measure of the quality (more accurately, strength) of fuel. So 93 octane is the same across the board.

What has really impacted gas quality is the mandated addition of ethanol to gas. It‘s deemed as ‘carbon neutral’, but its other chemical properties (lower BTU density, partially oxygenated molecule) are detrimental to hydrocarbon performance in an ICE.

Sorry for the rant, I used to be a Chemical Engineer and worked in the biz a few years, LOL!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Agree, filters yes, barriers no there clearly has to be flow..................I prefer to wait.
Did you e er go to a station and it takes forever to pump? That’s a clogged filter and demonstrates a lack of maintenance on the part of the retailer. Pump filters are pricey and a PITA to replace.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mmmmmm, lots of rumors here. I own a petroleum station, so I know a thing or two about gas.
I've heard the "Top Tier" label is a mark of quality. Near me thats Costco and Valero stations.
In your opinion is that simply marketing? I thought there was a minimum standard attached to the "top tier" rating/label.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Did you e er go to a station and it takes forever to pump? That’s a clogged filter and demonstrates a lack of maintenance on the part of the retailer. Pump filters are pricey and a PITA to replace.
Yes, in fact I have, though it's rare and come to think of it..............generally when the wife and I are on one of our road trips wasn't sure of reason but now I know. Not the best Gas Stations to give repeat business too.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Once upon a time, a buddy that owned a Texaco station told me Shell had the cleanest gas. Wthensler makes me think that may be dated info. I try to avoid off brand cheap stations, but I am not all that careful about it. I have never seen any solid evidence that it makes a big difference.

I have an older model and it was never designed to run with ethanol. I found a local station that sells ethanol free gas and that made a big difference in how mine runs.

Here is a web site that identifies stations in the US where you can get ethanol free gas. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I would be curious to hear if modern cars run better with ethanol free gas. Made a huge difference with my old carburetor fed car.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
I have never seen any solid evidence that it makes a big difference.
So much of the car industry is not all that scientific with their methods or reasoning to begin with so I use what I know or believe I know and make a call. Although, I like to be rigorous about my choices truth be told I also am not convinced it makes all that much difference in the end.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
So much of the car industry is not all that scientific with their methods or reasoning to begin with so I use what I know or believe I know and make a call. Although, I like to be rigorous about my choices truth be told I also am not convinced it makes all that much difference in the end.
I think that at one point, it might have made a difference. When I started driving, my father told me never to get gas from small off brand stations. He said they bought the cheapest gas from suppliers. The stuff from the bottom of the tanks. He said when the tanks run low, they sell the gas cheaper because it has a lot of debris in it.

I have no idea where he got this information, if it was ever true, or if that was how it worked 30 years ago. It may just be an old rumor passed on from him to me.

In the end, I don't think you will do any harm buying random gas. If you are trying to set a speed record, it might make a difference. I am pretty confident that the quality of gas used during a Lamborghini's lifetime will not be what sends it to the junkyard.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Lots of old wife‘s tales, LOL! As a retailer, all I can tell you is that we normally sell ‘branded’ gas (Exxon), but occasionally, due to factors beyond our control, sell unbranded fuel. I never bothered to follow the supply chain to see how distribution works, but I do know that Top Tier is a certification obtained by adding ingredients to the fuel, generally at the terminal. TOP TIER stations include Amoco, BP, Chevron, Citgo, Costco, Exxon, Marathon, Mobil, Shell, Sunoco, Texaco and Valero. But that doesn’t mean others don’t have additives as well.

I run my 458 on Circle K and Wawa gas here in FL, and Sheets up un VA. I always put 93 in it, and never had a problem with knock, pinging, etc.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,865 Posts
Probably right, but Chevron has always been good to me.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
In the end, I don't think you will do any harm buying random gas. If you are trying to set a speed record, it might make a difference. I am pretty confident that the quality of gas used during a Lamborghini's lifetime will not be what sends it to the junkyard.
That sounds about right to me. Then again this is a hobby so I indulge myself in a little overthink in the pursuit of enjoyment and distraction. :giggle:

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Probably right, but Chevron has always been good to me.
That's funny Russ, though, you and I are guilty of keeping our cars for about 5 milliseconds........how would we know?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My uncle is an engineer for Chevron and said all the gas stations in my town use the same distributor so there's no difference between Shell and 7-11 comes from the same source.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It’s a little more complicated than that. The distributor merely arranges for the deliveries to the retailer. I do not know who makes the decision what terminal this gas actually originates from, but it varies. I pay a ’rack price’ plus a small sum per gallon to the distributor, plus a ‘drop fee’ to cover transport costs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts